Modify a Skin
How to modify a skin
Sometimes you find a skin that you really enjoy but there is something that doesn't fit right for your workflow or style. VirtualDJ gives you the ability to make changes to the skin in order for you to customize it's behaviour. This page in conjunction with the Skin Developer SDK will guide you through the process of extracting an existing skin and modifying it to fit your needs.
1. Open the Settings Interface Tab in order to get to the list of existing/installed skins
2. Find and select the skin that you wish to modify
3. Go to the lower right corner of the Interface Menu and click on Save/Edit this skin
4. Select Export full skin (.zip) if you wish to extract the entire file or choose Export image and definition file (.png/.xml) if you wish for the files to be saved separately
5. The root skins folder (Documents/VirtualDJ/Skins) on your computer will automatically open. Give the extracted skin a unique name (my_skin is the default) and click Save.
5. Open Documents/VirtualDJ/Skins, find the zip file that you previously extracted and right click to Extract All...
6. Right click on the XML file that you wish to edit and select Open With > to access a Text Editor (NotePad, WordPad, etc.) to open the file.
7. Make the changes in the XML that you wish to make. The Skin Developer SDK has more detailed information.
8. Once you have made all of your edits, go to the File Menu and select Save.
8. Now you will need to re-zip the PNG and XML components back together. Go back to the root skins folder (Documents/VirtualDJ/Skins) and find the uncompressed folder from step 5. Right-click and select Send to > Compressed (zipped) Folder
9. Give your new skin a unique name. Do NOT use VirtualDJ 8.zip as this is the default skin name and will not display your edited skin in the Interface Tab.
10. Re-open the Settings Interface Tab in order to see and choose your edited skin from the list of existing/installed skins