Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Whats In Your Dancehall & Reggae Playlist?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

The last few weeks ive been doing a night at a bar where after 10 pm its really party time. A group asked for reggae & dancehall music, so i brought out the sean paul, beenie man, movado etc. but they didn't look impressed, they said i should play something newer! So i went online really did my research and bought some new music but they said they had never heard of this stuff, even though it was from well known artists, I'm starting to think that they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

So now the question is, when you are asked for newer reggae and dancehall songs, what are you playing?

geposted Wed 11 Feb 09 @ 8:00 pm
ogkedPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hey there bro, i play dancehall and reggae at house parties and this is normally what i play
1. elephant man - sweep
2. anthony b & turbulence - real warrior
3. turbulence - ganja head
4. busysignal - wine pon di edge
5. serani - doh
6. serani - wanting you
7. RDX - daggerin
8. RDX - bend over
9. Warning riddim - dermaco,munga,busysignal
10. shoot out riddim - mykal rose & junior gong,elephant man,dermaco
11. TOK - slow wine
12. Gallis riddim - serani,ding dong, future fambo
13. Junior Reid - international year of the chalice
14. Legal riddim - voicemail,cezar,christopher etc

A little bit of old skul sometimes does the dancefloor moving - shabba ranks,maxi priest,ninja man,cutty ranks,eddy grant etc.
This also depends on the crowd and how well informed with dancehall/reggae genere.
I hope this gives you a rough idea.cheers mate.

geposted Wed 11 Feb 09 @ 9:56 pm
ogked wrote :
Hey there bro, i play dancehall and reggae at house parties and this is normally what i play
1. elephant man - sweep
2. anthony b & turbulence - real warrior
3. turbulence - ganja head
4. busysignal - wine pon di edge
5. serani - doh
6. serani - wanting you
7. RDX - daggerin
8. RDX - bend over
9. Warning riddim - dermaco,munga,busysignal
10. shoot out riddim - mykal rose & junior gong,elephant man,dermaco
11. TOK - slow wine
12. Gallis riddim - serani,ding dong, future fambo
13. Junior Reid - international year of the chalice
14. Legal riddim - voicemail,cezar,christopher etc

A little bit of old skul sometimes does the dancefloor moving - shabba ranks,maxi priest,ninja man,cutty ranks,eddy grant etc.
This also depends on the crowd and how well informed with dancehall/reggae genere.
I hope this gives you a rough idea.cheers mate.

if you are not following up the reggae music then most times you gonna miss out on the new stuff
a few of what ogked is current... he also hinted on a few songs too...... and yes it does depend on the crowd

however it goes much deeper than that....you have to get an understanding of how reggae is played generally ....
most reggae tracks are played in riddims.... several songs on the same beat (instrumental) riddims are released almost constantly and if you are not a collector of reggae riddims (not reggaeton here) then you easily will be left behind even if you play for
example elephant man sweep (self defense riddim) - there are at at least 7 other tracks on that single riddim

When you play reggae - you have differences playing sections - similar to Hip HOp, RNB souls, etc.
1. Ska.. Bee Bop....Mento - normally very old from the 60s and 70s
2. Culture and lovers rock - current or old school - again you can find most of these on riddims too
3. Retro Dancehall - basically early 90's - (on riddims again)
4. Dancehall - (current music... say - within the last 3 years) - yes and by riddims too
5. Singles - big tunes but not on riddims - serani, alaine, daville,

Again he mentioned RDX - daggering, bend over etc.. which is a type of rave going on now..... (daggering) there are so many songs that promote daggering... you can play for hours with this type of songs... visit youtube.com... and search daggering.

merital, aidonia, spice, beenie man, vybz kartel, vegas, pamputtae, charly blacks and the list goes on and on..... all have some great daggering songs - by the way these songs.. . may border on being lude.

A few hot artistes now on the Reggae Scene -
Vybz Kartel, Mavado, busy signal, black rhyno, charly blacks, munga, deva brat, qq serani, tok, aidonia, chino, daville, einstein, shane o, assassin, fambo, christopher martin, alaine, tami chynn

of course you still have - beenie man, sean paul, buju banton, lady saw, cecile, junior gong, sasha, etc.

franchise record pool - has a listing of new reggae riddims... audiomaxxx.com was a good site for very new reggae riddims doubt if it is still around

Suggestion - is to make contact with a Jamaican dj - who is actively involved in the music

geposted Thu 12 Feb 09 @ 4:09 am
Thanks man!
Do ya know some Jamaican dj's and contact?

Keep up the good reggae!

geposted Thu 28 Apr 11 @ 11:19 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)