Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Latency problems with Denon HC4500

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

MrMusicPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi Folks,
has anyone of you has had the same problem? Let me just try to make a long story short:

5 Year old IBM-Laptop, working for 5 years with only VDJ installed without any problems using lately VDJ 4.x, connected to a Hercules DJ Console (maybe Mark 1). Operatingsystem XP Pro SP 2.

To pimp my sound and have a better working controller I decided to use the HC-4500. And then the problems began...

I had to update from 4.x to 5.2.1 to get the controller working. Sound was good and it did work great on short testing at home. Then, on the first job out, after about half an hour of mixin I recognized the first strange behaviours: the latency started to grow. The gap between starting a song and hearing the sound on air was so long, that you can see/hear/feel it. I can see that the song started to play, but the sound came with an short offset to the mixer. It made it hard to start a new song "on the beat" by hearing the beat. My solution was to look at the beatgrid - what seemed to be a great workaround.
After about 2 hours the difference was more than half a beat! Then suddenly there came a strange noise out of the Denon soundcard, just like you have a corrupted MP3. Believe me - I thougt that my speakers got blown to death with 6.000 Watts from my Dynacord Amps... But gladly they survived :-)
My Solution: every hour I restarted laptop and controller, while playing vinyls...

At home I could reproduce the problem. My solution was to buy a new laptop: HP 6735s, Athlon DualCore QL-62 2x 2,0 Ghz, 2GB RAM, XP Pro. With SP 2 installed I could mix videos in good quality, with only sometimes a small lag whlie working. BUT often the CPU-usage grew up to 40 % after starting VDJ - even when there was no song loaded to a deck! Sometimes I could bring the CPU down by switching to standard skin and back... but only sometimes *grrrr*
My preffered skin is V_Mix_5.4_1280_800_V_Mix5.4. When using a the HC4500_beta5 scaled to 1280x800 the CPU rises to 50%!
So I replaced the 1x2GB with 2x2GB RAM. But no effects. Then I installed SP 3. But after that I could'nt play any videos (they run a 3 Minutes Song in 10 Seconds). Aaaargh!!!

So I bought a new harddisk (I wanted to leave the old System in a running position), replaced it and now I have a Windows Vista 64bit ultimate running. The System runs fine and fast. CPU-usage is about 10 % - with HC-Skin about 15%. Latency in DENON ASIO was set to 256byte (5ms) and it first looked good. While working for 3 hours on my Mac there was a playlist in automixmode running on my Vista laptop without any problems. While I went to bed I did let the system run over night. After I woke up in the morning I noticed the latency problem again. It was very short, but it was definetly there. Just like bevor after 30 Minutes on my old laptop. So I continued the test: 12 hours later I came from work there was no more sounds coming out of the controller!!! I HATE IT !!! I WANT MY VDJ 4.x BACK !!!

Now the next test is running.
This time I did set the latency in the Denon ASIO to 512byte (11ms).
My Performance Settings in VDJ:
Latency: auto
SafeMode an Overclock disabled
Scratch: opt. for Quality, better Algor. Filter size 11, smooth disabled
Lowpassfilter 11, smooth disabled
MasterTempo: advanced 0 + 0
Soundcard: ext. Mixer, ASIO, DENON DJ ASIO, Ultra Latency disabled

So now my question: Does anybody know what the hell that is? Maybe there are better settings for my controller?

DJ Toni

PS: From the beginning I used the modified mapper from the download-section and the newest firmware.

geposted Wed 25 Mar 09 @ 3:19 pm
The next testsession with automixplaylist results the same: after a view hours, the time between Laptop and output is about a third or a half beat at 128bpm...

geposted Wed 25 Mar 09 @ 7:00 pm
yourtPRO InfinityMember since 2003
memory running full? Used to be an issue, maybe it's back?

I solved it by opening a second window of Virtualdj and as soon as i got that running, I closed the original window (well.... I killed the process in the taskbar...) ;-))

Tried that already? No need for vinyl that way.

I've been using Vista too lately, and I haven't had that problem no more (2GB memory).

geposted Thu 26 Mar 09 @ 10:40 am
I think it doesn't seem to be a memory problem, because i got 4 Gigs installed... VDJ is still runnning, but there is no sound coming out of the Denon.

The last 12 hours I got another Test running: Windows-Media-Player running a playlist. No problems at all. Beat is on time. So the soundcard seems to be ok?

Toni

PS: I wonder if there are'nt any other users of the HC4500 outside?

geposted Thu 26 Mar 09 @ 1:42 pm
Thank you MrMusic. So great to see someone is having a similar problem. I have not had the chance to test it as long as you have because my first gig is this coming Saturday. I have a brand new...

Gateway FX P-7805u.
Windows Vista Premium 64
4 GB Ram
NVidia GeForce 9800m GTS With 1GB Dedicated Ram
320 GB 7200RPM HD
All music loaded on my internal HD
Brand New Denon HC4500 with latest Firmware
Virtual DJ 5.2.1
I have disabled the Modem, Webcam, internal Network Card and Wi-Fi card in Device Manager.
I have selected the start-up items that I need and disabled the rest.

My issue is that I havent been able to get immediate response from my play button - EVER. It seems to be about 1/3 of a beat behind at all times.

As a back-up in my system I have a Stand-alone Denon HD-2500 and it is instantaneous. I have tried all settings and cannot seem to get it to be instant.

Is there a USB setting or something in Vista to help out?

Please help... Thousands of dollars in software & hardware and I cant even get instant start. I had instant start on my Denon DN2000f TEN YEARS AGO!!!Come on ATOMIX... Step Up To The Plate Here!!! You have hit a number of home runs overall, but now it is time to put this latency thing to rest and hit a grand slam.

Why can RANE get this right with Serato and you guys cannot?

Thank you.

geposted Thu 26 Mar 09 @ 8:10 pm
Hi Again,

I think I came on too strong earlier. Frustrations was getting the beat of me. I have searched further through the forums and I have a huge THANK YOU for JPBOGG... for the fllowing post. MRMusic... Try this. It seemd to have worked.

In VirtualDJ, go to CONFIG -> Sound Setup and click on the ASIO Config button.

Set it as low as you can without getting sound break-up/stuttering. I can get 2ms without any problems on a single core 2Ghz CPU, which gives an instant response.

You may need to restart VirtualDJ for the new latency setting to take effect.

Also, go to CONFIG -> Performances and make sure you have the following options set as follows:

Latency: Auto
Safe Mode: NOT ticked.
Overclock: NOT ticked.

I will let you know after the party this weekend.

Thank you again.

geposted Thu 26 Mar 09 @ 9:29 pm
Hi,
with setting latenzy in DENON-ASIO to 128 samples / 2ms the soundcard is really damn-fast! that's what I call "instant". It is so fast, that i first got always "in front" of the beat :-)
But: while testing it with video anabled, there was sometimes a crackling when CPU-usage goes to maximum...

I had a wedding-job this Saturday. While Dinner I had a playlist in Autiomix runnning for about 5 hours. But bevor I started with mixing, I had to restart controller und laptop, because the latency had feelable grown.

The problem with the crashes seems to be solved: I switched the energy-saving-options to "maximum power", and turned of "energysaving for USB" screensaver and HDD, disabled onboard soundkcard. With this the maximum time runnning a VDJ Playlist was 14h.

DJ Toni

geposted Mon 30 Mar 09 @ 6:36 am
Today:
Same test with 128 samples/2ms on my desktop-PC, 3 Years old, XP Pro. Same Settings, but "Safe Mode" was on. After 18 hours of playlisting the latency was still 2ms! Can anyone tell me the difference between an desptop and a laptop-USB?

What is the meaning of the "Ultra-Latency-ASIO" checkbox ind soundcard setup?

Tomorrow I am on the Musikmesse Frankfurt. I got a name of an Denon-technican... lets see, what he will say...

DJ Toni

geposted Wed 01 Apr 09 @ 2:37 pm
The Denon-Technican told me, that this would be a problem of the software and he has never heard bevor of something like that. He gave me the advice to use Traktor - with that programm, I would have no problemes at all...

Then I refered to the http://www.denondjforums.com/viewforum.php?f=31 After a little search, I found other guys having a similar problem. And that not only with VDJ... But no one had a solution...

Meanwhile I have installed XP Pro SP3 on my Laptop with the same settings as on my desktop-machine, but the Problem remains the same: after 2 hours of playing music, the latency has grown feelable. After 5 hours you cant work with it. Then I change the soundcard-options in VDJ settings. And if you believe it or not: but after a short break without sound, the card was "on the beat" again.

Then I tried to use the HC with "normal" drivers. Problem one: I can use only one stereo-chanel. Problem two: some behaviour as allways.

For now I am searching for a programm that uses ASIO, to test if it could be the denon-ASIO-driver 1.01. When I run a Windows-Mediaplayer-playlist for 12 hours, I have no problems. But WM doesn't use ASIO.

DJ Toni

geposted Sun 05 Apr 09 @ 12:42 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)