Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: MIDI Mapper confusion

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey guys,

I'm trying to map a Korg nanoKontrol, and here's what I'm trying to do. I want one slider to control the volume slider on deck 1, and a different slider to control the volume slider on deck 2. All I can do is get it to control the volume slider on the active deck, which is not what I want at all. I've tried all sorts of stuff, can't seem to figure this one out. What happened to the options for midi assignments???

geposted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 9:33 pm
BishPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey I'm bout to head to my music room to tackle the specifics of midi for specific deck and not just default as I wanna clone from deck 1 to deck to always not just whichever is default. Will let you know shortly (hopefully)

geposted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 9:54 pm
BishPRO InfinityMember since 2004
ok so what I did for my clone fix is type- "deck 1 clone_deck" (without " "). Works exactly how it says whether it is default or not. So try typing "deck 1" before the volume slider for deck 1, and "deck 2" for the volume slider for deck 2.

So in total click on auto learn and move 1st slider to get the correct midi control, then type "deck 1 volume_slider" then click ok. Check and repeat process for the second slider typing "deck 2 volume_slider"

I must admit when I first started mapping again I was preferring the old way of doing things, but I'm starting to see how this new way could be an easier more powerful process. Hope it helps.

geposted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 10:11 pm
Bish wrote :
ok so what I did for my clone fix is type- "deck 1 clone_deck" (without " "). Works exactly how it says whether it is default or not. So try typing "deck 1" before the volume slider for deck 1, and "deck 2" for the volume slider for deck 2.

So in total click on auto learn and move 1st slider to get the correct midi control, then type "deck 1 volume_slider" then click ok. Check and repeat process for the second slider typing "deck 2 volume_slider"

I must admit when I first started mapping again I was preferring the old way of doing things, but I'm starting to see how this new way could be an easier more powerful process. Hope it helps.

YES, for deck specific mapping use Deck 1 ***** and for deck 2 use Deck 2 ****

You know what u need to add where the *** are.

geposted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 10:19 pm
Awesome, thanks guys!

Hey VDJ Team, can we add the options back in? This was totally confusing, and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on VDJ. 6 is great though!!!

geposted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 12:37 am
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
You just need to work a few days to understand better how using the new scripts.

geposted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 1:47 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

geposted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 8:00 am
Holy Jebus, why is this so complex??? The old system didn't require me to know what impicit parameters were - can you guys at least allow us users to choose which mapper we'd like to use? I'm no idiot, but the last thing I want to do right now is learn a programming language so i can map a MIDI device. I gotta say, this makes midi in version 6 useless to me.

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 1:09 am
socross .... relax its not that bad ... reading some documentation can be overwhelming ... :)

What are you trying to accomplish ?

Most scripts people are going to use is --> deck 1 [do something] OR deck 2 [do something]
For example -> deck 1 loop 4 ; so on deck 1 a loop of 4 beats is created.

And maybe some may want 2 actions to occur which you just link together with an ampersand "&"

So maybe something like -> deck 1 loop 4 & effect "flanger" active

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 10:35 am
Hey Cstoll,

I was jus trying to map a bunch of controls to a korg nanokontrol. This programming language might be more powerful, but it also takes way more time to set up than the old version. Back then, I'd just move the slider or hit the button, And after a few clicks I'd be up and running. Now, I'm forced to write a string of commands, and it just takes more time. Not to mention the spool up time it takes to learn this new language. Under the old system, I didn't have to read the wiki or come to the boards to seek help on how to program simple commands.

Seriously, can we just bring back the old mapper for simple guys like me? And leave this new mapper as the advanced mapper?

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 11:43 am
Ok, here's a good example. I want to map a button to activate the flippin double effect, but only while I'm holding the button down.

I can get the button to activate the effect with "deck 1 effect 'flippin double' active on" but that only allows the button to activate the effect, not deactivate it. So I guessed and changed "on" to "toggle" and that worked... for a bit.

Then I added a new command for the button next to it: "Effect 'brake' active on" so this button now activates the brake effect. The problem is that after I activate the brake effect with button c33, button c23 somehow starts activating the brake effect too. what am I doing wrong here?

geposted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 11:55 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
socross wrote :
Ok, here's a good example. I want to map a button to activate the flippin double effect, but only while I'm holding the button down.

deck 1 effect "flippindouble" active while_pressed

:)

geposted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 5:06 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Oh - for this to work, the controller will have to send on/off for the midi control obviously.

geposted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 5:07 am
Ok, I've tried "Deck 1 effect "flippin double" active while_pressed" - nothing happens when I hit the button

Then I tried "Deck 1 effect "flippin double" active on while_pressed" - the effect turns on, but stays on even when I stop pressing the button.

Any other ideas?

This language is straight up pissing me off. In the old version, I would have pushed the button, typed "flippin double" in the value box, selected "deck 1" in the drop down menu and checked "temporary." DONE. This is ridiculous! PLEASE bring back the old mapper! Keep this one as the "advanced" mapper if you must, but jeeze, I just want to set up a midi controller, not launch a space shuttle.

This is the first time in my 5 years with this program that an intended feature of VDJ has pissed me off, this is new territory for me.

geposted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 11:17 am
Ok, this is really killing me here guys....

I've got two buttons I'm currently working on - c33 and c23.

C33 currently has "Deck 1 effect "flanger" active on" assigned to it.

C23 currently has "Deck 1 effect "flippin double" active on" assigned to it.

When I press C23 the button, it activates the flippin double effect.

When I press the C33 button, it activates the flanger.

Then, when I press the C23 button again, it activates the flanger.

I've tried this with various buttons and effects, always with the same result. The second button changes what effect the first button activates. Help.

geposted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 11:31 am
If you use 'on' with the active for an effect it will not toggle between on/off because you are explicitly telling it on all the time.

Remove the on from your statements.

And your button C23 is wrong, there is no space in the name; use -> deck 1 effect "FlippinDouble" active

This should do it ...

geposted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 11:42 am
So I tried my korg Nanopad as well, to see if it was issues with my nanokontrol...

First thing I noticed is that "nanoPad" appeared in the drop down menu, good sign...

Next thing I noticed was that VDJ would only recognize two of the buttons. Nothing happened when I pressed any other pad, even when I was "auto learning."

But, I still had two pads to experiment with, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Assigned "deck 1 effect "flippin double" active on" to button 1 and "deck 1 effect "flanger" active on" to button 4.

Pressed button 4, got the flanger effect to activate (as expected). Pressed button 1, and the flanger effect activated (the one that was supposed to activate the flippin double).

Went back to the mapper, DELETED the flanger effect assignment, pressed button 1 and the flanger still activated.

Went back to the mapper, deleted ALL assignments, reassigned button 1 to "deck 1 effect "flippin double" active on", pressed button 1 and the flanger activated! The word "flanger" was nowhere on the mapper, yet the button was somehow still activating it.

Where can I download the last 5.x?

geposted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 11:47 am
Did you see my post above? Change your scripts ... it FlippinDouble without a space and get rid of the 'on'

And as for the nanoPad .. is everything the default assignments or did you change the button CC assignments at some point?

geposted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 11:49 am
Hey Cstoll,

Thanks for listening! :D

Here's the exact text I'm typing in:

deck 1 effect "flippindouble" active while_pressed

Nothing happens when I press the button. If I change it to:

deck 1 effect "flippindouble" active on

then it does activate the effect.

Also, I get the same results whether I type "flippindouble" or "flippin double" it doesn't seem to care if there's a space or not.

I still get the issue of it activating a different effect based on the last effect I used.

geposted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 11:52 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)