Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Stream skips certain times of day.

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi Guys,

I'm an amatuer Dj and broadcast a stream over the internet to a virtual world. The trouble I'm having is that during certain times of the day my stream skips quite badly. It's always evening local time... I normally stream at 96kbps which is perfect for me but can't even stream at 56kbps during these times... I havn't tried any lower but the quality wouldn't make it worth while anyhow.

My first thought would be my ISP but with only living 200meters from the exchange I get a minimum of 6kbs to my router. I seen a thread here with a similar problem and they were told to run the DPC latency checker and shut down certain drivers. Well I done this and it told me I did have problems so I shut down the wireless driver first and it showed I could stream fine... it was just showing the odd yellow spike. However my stream still skips.

I've tried uninstalling my security to see if it was maybe that was blocking it but still no joy.

I'm not all that computer savvy though so maybe I'm missing something that is quite obvious.. any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

My laptop spec is...

Windows Vista
AMD Sempron(tm) SI-42 - 2.10GHz
2.0 GB Memory

Thanks in advance!!

geposted Thu 13 Aug 09 @ 7:25 am
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
Hi spacemonkey28,

just a few thoughts.
We on VDJ Radio stream a lot without any problems :-)
So i'd like to say the new V6 is not the point of failure.

What version do you use?

As far as i know, cancel some private routers or ISP's, the internet connection for a second once or twice a day.
Have a look into this direction and talk to your ISP or have a look into your router.

The next possible reason could be, you simple have more listeners then your internet connection can handle.
A simple calculation is your bandwidth divided through your bitrate = the max possible user quantity

2.000kps / 96kps = 20 listeners

Did you also check, your system is not going into standby or your energy options are always on?

BTW: If you have a valid licence, register your version can load the provided update product.
Maybe you have one of the free versions, who have some little bugs inside ;-)

See you
Haui

geposted Thu 13 Aug 09 @ 9:32 am
Hey Haui,

I have version 5.2 and it is a licensed copy. I didn't mention earlier that I broadcast through a shoutcast server, so I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the amount of listeners, the server itself can handle upto 50 listeners. I do however have the same problem if there any listeners or not and through any streaming server.

I'll update to version 6 in the meantime and see if this helps the problem any.

Thanks Haui!

geposted Thu 13 Aug 09 @ 11:44 am
Ok so I updated to v6 now.

I have previously spoken to my IPS and they've shown me my connection speed. At that time it was 7.2mbs.. I've since checked on a regular basis and the minimum I get is around 6mbs.

As far as i know, cancel some private routers or ISP's, the internet connection for a second once or twice a day.
Have a look into this direction and talk to your ISP or have a look into your router.

How do you mean about cancelling private routers or ISP's?

Could it be something as simple as a filter or cable not working properly?

Thanks again!

geposted Thu 13 Aug 09 @ 12:33 pm
cmon, lol!
From where did you get the Update, lol?

Where is you Broadcast Server located?
Is it a extra Hardware with the broadcast server software?

You stream from your own computer with VDJ to the Broadcast server?

spacemonkey28 wrote :

Thanks again!

First question:
Some ISPs or router cancel the connection for a second.
I'm not sure why, but they do.
So you have for a second no internet connection.

Second
Also possible, but when it is a nor working cable, you can reproduce it!
I belive more, a setting in your broadcast server.

Did you use the connection to the internet with you VDJ Soft with WLAN or cable?

Haui

geposted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 1:34 am
cmon, lol!
From where did you get the Update, lol?

Where is you Broadcast Server located?
Is it a extra Hardware with the broadcast server software?

You stream from your own computer with VDJ to the Broadcast server?

spacemonkey28 wrote :

Thanks again!

First question:
Some ISPs or router cancel the connection for a second.
I'm not sure why, but they do.
So you have for a second no internet connection.

Second
Also possible, but when it is a nor working cable, you can reproduce it!
I belive more, a setting in your broadcast server.

Did you use the connection to the internet with you VDJ Soft with WLAN or cable?

Haui

lol if you really, really want me to I'll register my copy here :P

The broadcast server is located in the US. I just enter the server details into the broadcast section of VDJ and then on the other end enter the server url. There are many DJ's in this virtual world that stream from there laptops/pc's without any issue... All I have spoken to havn't ever had this problem.

So how would I go about finding out if it's router settings and how would I change them?

geposted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 1:00 pm
spacemonkey28 wrote :

lol if you really, really want me to I'll register my copy here :P

You don't have to do this for me!

I don't care about it, because i use a version of VDJ without any problems during my times on radio. ;-) and have access to the latest updates.

spacemonkey28 wrote :

The broadcast server is located in the US. I just enter the server details into the broadcast section of VDJ and then on the other end enter the server url. There are many DJ's in this virtual world that stream from there laptops/pc's without any issue... All I have spoken to havn't ever had this problem.

So how would I go about finding out if it's router settings and how would I change them?

Then you broadcast in the same way then me.

IMO, you have to talk to your ISP and read the manual of your router.
Don't stream over WLAN.

Haui

geposted Mon 17 Aug 09 @ 8:37 am
ok thanks Haui!

Appreciate your help, thank you :)

geposted Mon 17 Aug 09 @ 9:09 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)