Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: RCA Outputs to XLR

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I hope someone can answer this question. I just purchased a RMX to migrate away from my IDJ2 and I love being able to use software to get around, mix, etc. However, when trying to get cables for the RMX and since researching even the Pioneer DJM400 does not have XLR outs. My speakers only have XLR inputs and which I was told is a better output to speakers. I have not been able to find RCA to XLR cables. Can anyone give me some information on this--is RCA old technology, where I can find cables for RCA to XLR, or do I need to use adapters. Also, if I use adapters, do I give up sound quality.

I appreciate any advice!!

Thanks,
LadyDJ Jean

geposted Thu 31 Dec 09 @ 3:16 pm
This is a nicee question.. that I am also looking for the answers too.

My mixer has XLR outputs.. but I have a lot of speakers! I'm thinking of getting RCA-XLR cables too so that I can add those extra speakers into my setup.

I also wanna know if I give up sound quality.. most likely yes because at the end of the day.. it started off as RCA sound.

I hope someone comes and helps us out.

geposted Thu 31 Dec 09 @ 4:06 pm
There are adapters that convert XLR to RCA jacks. I got mine at guitar center.

geposted Thu 31 Dec 09 @ 5:53 pm
This is the best cable to use in your setup to go to the first speaker on each channel, (in a stereo setup) If you are chaining multiple speakers, just use XLR to XLR mic cables from speaker to speaker.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/158479-REG/Hosa_Technology_PXM_110_Mono_1_4_Male_to.html

Don't be confused by the term mono, you will see the terms mono and stereo used to describe the 1/4" end of the cable. You want that end "mono" or Tip/sleave because the RMX is non-balanced using a "mono" 1/4" output. This makes a difference because it is not "balanced" as described in the below link.

http://www.dezirae.com/dezzie/sunn/xlrwir.html

A "non balanced" circuit is good for about 25' feet or less, otherwise it will be susceptible to interference or noise. Keep in mind that this distance is just to the first speaker in a chain. If you connect two together from the output to the input of the other, it will most likely be using an XLR to XLR mic cable which be "balanced"

If you need to go more than 25' (as if going into a mic snake that can be upwards of 300') make sure the production company provides a "direct Box" designed for keyboardists or a "PCDI" which is designed for DJ's and video equipment. This direct box or "DI" is a valuable tool to own and can be purchased as low as $40 new.

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-Imp-Transformer-Direct-Box/dp/B0002DUQ72

As a note, if you buy the cable I mentioned first please make sure it is "mono" or Tip/Sleave. Like I mentioned, The RMX is non-balanced and a "stereo" 1/4 hooked to it may give you undesirable output, like the bass dropping out. DIs like the above whirlwind have a balancing transformer built into it that make the circuit balanced.

Sorry to be so techy with you, my father is a world-renowned speaker engineer and has taught me a few things about audio.

Kevin

geposted Fri 01 Jan 10 @ 3:14 am
srvo72 question for you on your xps1640 laptop do you have to enable hard acceleration to output vid to second monitor
thanx

geposted Fri 01 Jan 10 @ 2:31 pm
Yea I know 1/4 are great to use but is it safe to convert an RCA output into a XLR input using a RCA-XLR cable?

Thanks!

geposted Fri 01 Jan 10 @ 4:34 pm
QUEWHAT62 wrote :
srvo72 question for you on your xps1640 laptop do you have to enable hard acceleration to output vid to second monitor
thanx

I never realized it, but I do have to enable hard acceleration.

geposted Fri 01 Jan 10 @ 11:36 pm
Makashino wrote :
Yea I know 1/4 are great to use but is it safe to convert an RCA output into a XLR input using a RCA-XLR cable?

Thanks!

From a balancing standpoint it is the same difference, your good for about 25feet after that you could have interference. Keep in mind that the RCA outputs are -10 db verses the +4 db that the 1/4inch outputs. Thats 14 more db you have to increase on the other end. It's always better to "push" your signal down a wire instead of "pulling" it, because you could "pull" other elements with it. At long distances, the cable length increases the resistance of the circuit and thats more you have increase on the other end.

Sorry, correction you stated you have XLR outputs, XLR t XLR you will have a balanced circuit and less interference problems at long distances. As far as quality, it will be the same sonically.

On any powered speaker input, make sure it is set for "line input". A lot of time powered speaker have an option to plug a mic directly into it and mic level is -44 db so the preamp l will automatically boost it 44db and a line level output on your mixer will distort the input of the speaker." input.

geposted Fri 01 Jan 10 @ 11:42 pm
tfranPRO InfinityMember since 2009
The easiest and cleanest way to do it is to get a lift box. It converts your RCA input to a balanced XLR which will eliminate hums and other interference. I use a whirlwind pcDI if anyone is wondering.

geposted Wed 06 Jan 10 @ 3:26 pm

geposted Thu 07 Jan 10 @ 4:45 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I think the point that Srvo72woof is trying to make is that, RCA to XLR does not make sense. XLR is balanced and there are 1/4 inch jacks on the back of your RMX that are balanced. If you get 1/4" balanced cable to XLR, that option is significantly better and less susceptible to noise than just adapting and RCA (unbalanced) connection to XLR.

In the RCA to XLR method, you have not "converted" to XLR. It is more of an adaptor, because you will still be unbalanced at the XLR end. Which will not be the case if you use the 1/4" balanced (from the RMX) to XLR (powered speaker or amp).

Going with the 1/4" balanced connection on the RMX and then having the XLR connecotr that you need at the other end will maintian the balanced circuit that will shield you from noise and will give you the ability to run longer cables.

geposted Fri 08 Jan 10 @ 9:21 am
DHoude wrote :
XLR is balanced and there are 1/4 inch jacks on the back of your RMX that are balanced.

I'm not familier with the RMX myself, but if it has 1/4" phone jacks on it, then those would be much better then using the RCA's..

[just did a quick online search]

the RMX does have balanced TRS phone outputs.. those ARE the ones to use and NOT the RCA's (unless your going directly into a mixer with short cords)

geposted Fri 08 Jan 10 @ 10:04 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
DHoude wrote :
Going with the 1/4" balanced connection on the RMX and then having the XLR connecotr that you need at the other end will maintian the balanced circuit that will shield you from noise and will give you the ability to run longer cables.

That I why I recomend against using RCA if it can be avoided.

[Edit]
Did a quick search and see that this is not an option for the DJM400, sorry.

geposted Fri 08 Jan 10 @ 11:23 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)