Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Console becomes unresponsive intermittently?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

If i can explain basically what's happening,

I've had a Hercules Mk2 dj console for probably over two years and i used it to dj out in clubs and at home with no problems, up until about a month ago, I was playing at a club with a fairly big sound system (a club i had successfully played at before without any problems whatsoever)
and about three songs into my set the Hercules Mk2 dj console becomes unresponsive, music continues to play and the software still works fine but i am unable to control anything from the Hercules Mk2 dj console. so after some frantic dj swapping i take a second to reset everything shutting down my laptop and starting from scratch and i make sure its all working, but again i start playing using the hercules Mk2 dj console and a couple of tracks in every control on the mk2 stops working but the software and music are unaffected?

so over the next couple of days i test it again at home practice some mixes to see if it had something to do with the club (bare in mind i'd never had a problem there before), it worked ok a couple of times and then the same problem happened. I have absolutely no clue what could be causing it.

I assumed it was a problem with the Hercules Mk2 dj console so as i had another dj date booked i needed to get something to replace it, so i bought the Hercules dj concole RMX brand new installed all the software then i made sure everything was up to date, got all the appropriate updates off of the hercules website so everything is working ok. practiced a couple of times at home for about 20 minutes, no problems, then i got the club plugged my Hercules dj concole RMX into my laptop, plugged my RCA cable into output 1-2 and then into a channel on the clubs mixer (as i normally do) then three or four songs into my mix THE SAME PROBLEM my Hercules dj concole RMX becomes completely unresponsive (music and software continue working), i even tried fiddling with the settings quickly to see if it would help but nothing no change.

this problem is driving me mad, i can't understand why it has started after using the Hercules Mk2 dj console for so long successfully.

i've come to two conclusions?

1. at some point in the last month inadvertently i have damaged the USB port on my MacBook and it is causing this peculiar problem (but if this is the case i would expect some sort of notice on the software that i have disconnected the Hercules dj console RMX/ Hercules Mk2 dj console but i had nothing)

2. i am connecting my Hercules dj console RMX to the clubs mixer using the wrong cable and outputs? possibly i should be using a 1/4 inch RCA cable and the corresponding outputs on the Hercules dj console RMX. (this wouldn't explain the problem i had with my old Hercules Mk2 dj console)

does this problem sound familiar to anyone or can anyone help because its driving me mad having bought the new Hercules dj console RMX and this not solving my problem?

my laptop is a 13inch Macbook running OS X version 10.4.11
Processor : 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory : 2 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
if that helps at all?

i still have applecare so i'm going to visit my local apple repair shop to see if they can help explain this? possibly?

please help?

geposted Thu 28 Jan 10 @ 4:47 pm
Hello artofarto,

1) If it has a hardware origin
It may be caused by a fluctuation of the USB bus power: can you try connecting the DJ Console (Rmx or Mk2) to the MacBook via a powered USB hub (a hub which has its own power adaptor)?
It may also be an electrostatic issue, but I think it would also disturb the sound playback. In case it is an electrostatic issue: did it happen while you wear the same shoes at home and in the club?

2) If it has a software origin
Can you check if you get the same issue on another software (for example in using Traktor demo version)?

geposted Fri 29 Jan 10 @ 3:40 am
1) If it has a hardware origin
It may be caused by a fluctuation of the USB bus power: can you try connecting the DJ Console (Rmx or Mk2) to the MacBook via a powered USB hub (a hub which has its own power adaptor)?

does that mean that potentially my USB port itself could be playing up?
I spoke to Hercules about the problem i was having and they also suggested a fluctuation of USB power and told me to optimize my USB, but i wasn't sure what do in terms of changing settings within OS X 10.4.11?
and i can't understand why it has started after using my MK2 for so long without a problem?

It may also be an electrostatic issue, but I think it would also disturb the sound playback. In case it is an electrostatic issue: did it happen while you wear the same shoes at home and in the club?

I'm pretty sure i've played at the same club with my MK2 without a problem in the same shoes before, it's an interesting idea though.

2) If it has a software origin
Can you check if you get the same issue on another software (for example in using Traktor demo version)?

I'm going to try and organise maybe an hour at the club to test a few different setups, using the two different versions of virtual dj i have and try a demo version of Traktor, just to see what i can do about the problem without actually playing to an audience?

geposted Fri 29 Jan 10 @ 9:03 am
artofarto,

A computer environment is constantly changed by the software, drivers, Mac OS updates, including power saving settings which may cut the USB bus power. Considering its USB power is not faulty, that you must not check it or test it, while the console partially stops and the console is powered by the USB bus, it is as realistic as not checking the car oil tank if your car stops. As the console is powered by the USB, the USB bus power and the USB cable are the first 2 parts you must check if the console randomly stops.

I have had 2 MacBook and on my white version, the USB power, which was OK, suddenly became not so OK, and I had to reset the SMC (System Management Controller), as described here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 - and it became OK again.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

geposted Mon 01 Feb 10 @ 3:59 am
sorry i meant to say i was going to test a few different setups after i'd had my macbook repaired.

resetting the System Management Controller sounds like it will probably help, i had noticed that my mac has begun to do some very unusual things that sound like symptoms described in SMC article, it has only done them a handful of times but combined with the problems i'm having with my usb power, it sounds very possible that the SMC could be at fault.

geposted Mon 01 Feb 10 @ 7:05 am
Hi, im having the same problem with vdj 6 on my macbook, but with using a behringer bcd3000, i initially thought it was the hardware, but after reading this post ive come to the conclusion it must either be usb based, electrostatic based (as sometimes i get very small shocks from hard drives etc when working at the club, or software based. I hope some solution can be sorted with this. I am currently testing it with traktor pro, and at the moment seems ok, but maybe that piece of software sorts out the usb power differently etc. just thought i'd let you guys know, and hope together we come up with the actual problem and solution. thanks.

geposted Wed 03 Feb 10 @ 2:45 pm
a bit of an update, i've had my macbook repaired under warranty and they found that the there was an irregularity in the USB output power, they think it was some sort of loose connection so they've replaced the logic board, possibly the fact that it didn't happen at home was because the laptop was more firmly situated whereas in the club the laptop would be subject to more severe vibrations from the sound system and alike.
I haven't tested it at the club yet, but fingers crossed they've sorted the cause of the problem.

geposted Wed 10 Feb 10 @ 10:38 am
Hi, i also have tested this with a different piece of software, and have reset the smc. but it still happened. i wondered whether the problem with the USB's as artofarto had. What macbook version do you have? thanks (i have a late 2008 unibody macbook) with what seems to be the same problem. Thanks.

geposted Thu 11 Feb 10 @ 2:47 pm
i've got a black macbook 2.1, i think my problem has been caused by general wear and tear, so it could be possible that you have a similar problem if you've exhausted every other possibility of faults with software or other hardware?

geposted Thu 11 Feb 10 @ 5:55 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)