Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Video crossfader too small - hardware solution?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I've had some time to really play with VDJ now using video and think the program is superb.

One thing would greatly increase its functionality though - a larger video crossfader.

Something else would improve that functionality even more - a real, external crossfader for video.

For people using a real mixer, the small crossfader on the screen just isn't a very workable solution.

geposted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 5:24 am
I would like to see the same. I have developed several microcontroller solutions before. I have been considering making a midi crossfader. Not sure how many people would want one though.

geposted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 5:45 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The song name could be sent onto the video window by an option.
(Maybe I'm wrong with your request because english is not my first language)

geposted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 5:47 am
Man, anyone with an external mixer knows what you are talking about. It is a real pain using the mouse to crossfade between the videos.

I would LOVE to see a hardware solution or maybe something that could be attached to your current crossfader (like a crossfader on top or somehow glued to your mixer's crossfader?) that could controll it via midi.

Now that would be good.

Killabee44

geposted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 5:49 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Rob,

thats why you can set keyboard shortcuts for the video crossfader. Also you can design a skin with a large video crossfader. You can also control the video via midi.

geposted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 5:51 am

MIDI?

That would be great... Cheap MIDI controller. How do you map that?

geposted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 2:20 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
midi support is built into vdj for a long time now. You map midi just like keyboard shortcuts very easy.

geposted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 2:29 am
This is going to be a stupid suggestion, then a follow up thought:

First suggestion, couldn't you just map your MOUSE WHEEL to the video cross fader? I mean, assuming you have the luxury of a real mouse and not a touch pad mouse.

I'm not really new to Video if you consider karaoke to be video. I hear you don't... okay, well I had long been looking for something like VDJ to do what it is now claiming, how ever slow, to do. I've remapped some of my stuff to the arrow keys on the keyboard but here's my follow up thought.... what about a webcam response? I remember seeing a video of someone djing with a couple turntables and web cams... These devices are cheap now a days, couldn't you just configure the program to look for a "swipe left" or "swipe right" in a particular field of view? I now curious about this because it would seem reasonable then there isn't any "mechanics" to it.

geposted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 9:04 am
you can always link the video crossfader to the main crossfader.
so that video crossfading will follow the movement of the main crossfader

geposted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 12:57 pm
I'd rather not - I use a real mixer and multi output soundcard.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 4:12 am
true.... me too :)

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 4:37 pm
Guys, Cyder told me how to map keyboard shortcuts for the video crossfader. That really works well for me since I have an external mixer like you, until a better option is found. I mapped Contrl and Alt (the ones on the bottom left side).

Go to config> keyboard shortcuts> click add>
press the key you want to use to fade to the left>
>click video >click crossfade
>under value (on your bottom right side) type a negative value so that the fader moves to the left (I found -47 to be not too fast of slow. Just right for me)
>click ok and click ok again. You are done.

Do the same to move the video crossfader to the right except you have to type in a +__ value. Make sure you type in the positive (+) sign or it wont work. Good luck.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 5:42 pm
Oooh.. I didn't know you could map keyboard shortcuts to do a smooth cross-fader on the video. This means I can use my DAC-3 in midi-mode to do the same.. I've been currently reaching for the mouse! - Gonna try it when I get home !!!

geposted Tue 01 Nov 05 @ 4:21 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
If you go to shortcuts and change page up/down from crossfade to video crossfade it will allow you to use the keyboard for video and the mixer for audio.
If you use a keyboard without the numbers pad it falls right under your right thumb.
I have been working with this and it works pretty well fading the audio first and then the video.
Three hands would be nice in case correction is needed in the track alignment.

geposted Tue 01 Nov 05 @ 4:46 pm
Thanks. My keyboard is on a pull out tray, and I only like to reach for this for putting in the track name. Looks like jpboggis already mapped the DAC-3 anyway to cross fade the video to the left with SHIFT PLAY or to the right with SHIFT PLAY on the other deck. Shift and MIX NOW moves it to the centre. May have a play to try and get these to a transistional smooth fade like Cyder suggested earlier, shame not to use those effects !

geposted Tue 01 Nov 05 @ 5:18 pm
The Evolution UC16 MIDI controller makes a good MIDI video crossfader, but you need an extra hand to operate it when using an external mixer (DJ Cyder's mod to build it into the mixer would help if you have the skills to do this (And don't mind invalidating the warranty of both the mixer and UC16 or DJC!))

I can't use the UC16 at the moment due to conflict with the DAC-3, but this should be resolved when native support for the DAC-3 is added to VDJ.

I can do an instant fade with SHIFT+PLAY on the DAC-3 with my mappings, but it would be great if a beat sync'ed automatic video crossfade function was added to VDJ for the benefit of external mixer/controller users. When activated, this would smoothly crossfade from the current position to the specified deck over a given number of beats.

E.g: +4 would crossfade right over 4 beats, -16 would crossfade left over 16 beats and 8 (No + -) would crossfade to the centre over 8 beats.

geposted Tue 01 Nov 05 @ 7:17 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I use the Evolution X-Session for video crossfading; I have it mounted just below the HDJC. It is one of the few MIDI controllers with a horizontal fader. It also has a bunch of knobs which I mapped to the sample banks, and buttons which I use for play, stop, cue, etc. since I can't trust the buttons on the HDJC anymore.
The X-Session definitely will suit your needs, but if you are in Europe, check out the FaderFox LV1 or DJ1... much more compact and very robust.

geposted Tue 01 Nov 05 @ 10:24 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
someone butchered their HDJC that wasnt working so good to get at the fader and use it to controll the video crossfade. they put it right above their main external mixer fader. just an idea. companies like faderfox can provide you with a customisable selection of sliders and encoders with a MIDI interface so you can build it into whatever you want,

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 2:08 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
We need a MIDI LEGO don't you think? ;-)

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 10:40 am
What a fantastic Idea - You buy a blank board of any size, and get a collection of sliders, rotary dials and push buttons - then just push em on... hopefully a little more robust than Lego though... don't really want the controls falling off in your hands mid set !

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 3:48 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)