Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Drum and bass mix try :D

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

geposted Fri 15 Oct 10 @ 5:56 am
zentairPRO InfinityMember since 2010
First thing I noticed was the lack of consistency and buildup in the tracklisting. I assume this is because you've just started and thus haven't got a large collection yet. As with any genre, the tracks you choose is more important than the mixing techniques (too bad, because those are the most fun)

Everything played nicely in sync. Most transitions were short, even abrupt to my taste. Drum and Bass is a great genres to make long transitions, when you time it right with the intro/breaks of the tracks and use the EQ to prevent the mix from becoming to messy because of too many sounds at once you can make ultrasmooth transitions (that people won't even notice until it is over if they don't know the tracks playing).

I constantly look at the waveform of the entire tracks to see if the break and the buildup of the second track are in sync, and have mapped some buttons on my controller to jump 8 and 16 beats ahead/back to fix off-positions when the mix already started. This helps a lot, and it is great how well this trick works.

Two concrete points:
* The melodies of the first two tracks are fighting for attention because they both are quite dominant. This makes the mix less smooth to listen to
* During Gold Dust there was a quite noticable pitch blend. Clicking on the lock next to the pitch sliders makes pitch shifts less noticable. In general you should do the blending while syncing on the new track so the audience can't hear it

Concluding I should point out that because I am currently rapidly improving my own Dnb Mixing techniques I am a quite critical listener. An average listener would only notice the tracklisting I mentioned earlier and would find the mix okay. Not brlilliant, but most certainly not bad.

geposted Sat 30 Oct 10 @ 6:22 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)