Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Internet Security Measures (avoiding system failure)

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all,
I want to ask you what internet security measures you are currentely taking?, and how that is going, I have Norton Anti Virus 2005, but, I still managed to get from 0 viruses to 101 in just a few hours!, and this known protection software told me it couldn't delete the viruses, I also went from 26 proccesses to over 50!, damn!, so i've re-installed windows and nortons, and learnt my lesson!.

Also worth noting is that I have medium-medium high security settings etc, I never experienced any real problems with dial up, but now I have cable, i'm being blitzed by the buggers!.

Any other programs you can reccomend me?, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance, Bagpuss

geposted Sat 25 Jun 05 @ 7:57 pm
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
TRY AVG Virus Protection....its from Grisoft.....theres a free version and it doesnt slow down your system.

geposted Sat 25 Jun 05 @ 8:33 pm

geposted Sat 25 Jun 05 @ 9:04 pm
i have AVG too..it works fine..
But i really have this wierd feeling about anti-virus software...its like, i think they have two departments;) one to make viruses and the other to provide software.I mean, just think about it...how do these people get virus-definition updates almost every 2 days? you find a virus and the very next day, you have a solution for it...very interesting it all seems to me...

geposted Sat 25 Jun 05 @ 9:44 pm
Thanks for your advice so far guys..,and djaditya, you have a great point, and i'm sure there's alot of truth in it, Imagine the money they make through this..

geposted Sat 25 Jun 05 @ 10:08 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Get an external firewall. It's cheaper than the antivirus, and it's 3 years i haven't had any virus except from files downloaded on illegal sites (shame on me).

geposted Sat 25 Jun 05 @ 11:31 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
One wrong turn, one wrong click and it's over regardless of protection.
Kids are the biggest targets with games online etc...

Second NB's AVG recomendation, and not becuase it has a free version.

geposted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 10:06 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
AVG is a really good virus protection program. Updates are very regular and you can get rid of any viruses with this program. Also I use Mozilla Firefox instead od Internet Explorer. Whenever I use Explorer I seem to get more viruses and apywares.

geposted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 10:11 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
you have to sperate virus from spyware. i actually found microsoft anti-spy works well as it protects on the fly, plus ad-aware PE, along with norton 2005, oh and add a firewall. what i'm saying is that not one is a clear winner, but a combo of many will help. viruses i have gotten like 6 in 6 years...spyware is everytime you hit smut/free good sites.. don't click pop-ups and don't install any small file like 300bytes-it's no damn good

geposted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 10:27 pm
i use McAfee for security and a/v, but i dont quite trust it and have been meaning to get norton for a while, but i bought vdj instead meheh

geposted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 12:26 am
Well thanks for all your contributions..., I'm having a strange problem at the moment, when I press CTRL-ALT-DELETE, there is no task manager, when I go to run: "taskmgr.exe", this appears:
"another program is currentely useing this file"

Strange a?, well, this has to be a virus or worm, or something, I have no dodgey software I know of, but not being able to see my proccesses and programs running is a real bind, and how a virus could escape my attention, nortons detects nothing, hmm.

Any experience with this?, as always, thanks.

geposted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 7:31 pm
I seem to have a virus called "Trojan Horse", and both AVG and NAV2005 claim they can't delete or fix this virus.

I'm now starting to get very angry with this internet :(, I don't think it's worth it really, my computer was fine before, but now windows is getting pulled apart, i've already re-installed xp about 3 times, and I need internet at home for drivers, updates etc...

damn!, might have to buy a desktop just for viruses and downloads, laptop just for VDJ, shouldn't have to be that way, but some sad fools obviously get their pleasure from destroying others computers, and it's true, that's what they want, for consumers like me and you, to go out and spend more money..

Now I hate computers, lol, Bagpuss

geposted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 11:39 pm
Download the demo to Nod32. It wont hurt to try it.

geposted Wed 29 Jun 05 @ 2:59 am
trojan horse is a remote access kind of virus, dangerous too.

if it was me, id probably stay off the net until it was cleaned.

geposted Wed 29 Jun 05 @ 4:44 am
"Trojan Horse Program

A Trojan horse program is a malicious program that pretends to be a benign application; a Trojan horse program purposefully does something the user does not expect. Trojans are not viruses since they do not replicate, but Trojan horse programs can be just as destructive.
Many people use the term to refer only to non-replicating malicious programs, thus making a distinction between Trojans and viruses. Also: Trojan"

mcafee virus database search

geposted Wed 29 Jun 05 @ 4:46 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)