Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: DJ question that's stumping me

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I have a decent understanding of music production, Protools, Live, Reason, etc. and a reasonable knowledge of radio djing, did it at college for six months, but there is something that still I don't get about club djs.

The famous djs all seem to also be creators at some level. Their stuff sounds like finished studio pieces, not livetime mixes of instruments like you might do in Live or Logic or some other music creation tool. DJ software only has two tracks, or maybe 4, and bass rarely matches that well. Sometime keys do, but it's all quite unpredictable and makes a lot more sense sequenced together, either through software or the old way, through hardware. Yet these same performers seem to have 100 different versions of their own studio songs. I assume these are made in the studio and not live. Do famous djs still play current material by other people, or only their own product?

DJs release remixes, or live remixes, as if they mashed all the stuff together live, but it seems more likely it was done in a studio. Are they
just playing studio versions of their songs, or are they exporting stems and djing them live?

I also imagine that people export loops from music creation software with bpm at the front of their minds, so that all the pieces match.

Thanks all.

Mark

geposted Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 7:15 pm
pskeensPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Answer is both. Some DJ's Mashup songs live using loops, samples, and songs from artists. Some do it in a studio or at home on a PC using Abelton or similar software.

geposted Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 9:00 pm
i'm into dnb, the only headliner dj I can think of who doesn't produce is andy c, but he owns one of the biggest record labels in the genre... everyone else is a producer first dj second, they usually play a mix of the best tunes of the moment and their own stuff, but will usually have two or three vip tracks they remix in the studio, and two or three vips from other producers. vip tracks are never usually released for sale until the producers have done their major release tours, it keeps them relevant and exciting to see as they can offer songs no one else has.

geposted Wed 06 Jul 11 @ 5:20 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)