Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: media Monkey and VDJ

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I have installed media monkey but how does this work within VDJ I'm confused

geposted Tue 27 Dec 11 @ 4:11 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I am not sure it works "with VDJ" persay. It just looks like a media organizer that can edit ID3 tag information. If you want more functionality that will also work with VDJ, use iTunes. It literally does everything that Media Monkey does (or at least the features they talk about), it is also free & you can use iTunes play lists in VDJ. I don't believe MM will do that... But I have never used it...

If you still want to organize and relable your library in Media Monkey (which I have not used). Make all your changes, then close Media Monkey and then open VDJ. Then just select all of your songs in the VDJ browser, right click on them. Select "Batch" (from the menu) and then "Reload Tag". That should scan any selected songs for changes in ID3 tags (that you made in Media Monkey).

I have noticed that if there is Tag information for any particular song in the VDJ database, that sometimes the VDJ database does not update the tag information that you changed. To preserve any manual modifications that you made in VDJ that may be important. You can always manually update each tag in VDJ in this case. For me, this does not happen all that often, maybe 5% of the time.

To make scanning changes easier. I make all my changes in iTunes and have a playlist that looks for songs that have been modified in the last day. Because iTunes play lists can been seen in VDJ, I can just scan that list. So I can norrow 15,000 song scan down to about 100, and in that I can find songs that did not update much easier than looking at my entire library.

Hope this helps get you organized in the new year!

geposted Tue 27 Dec 11 @ 6:05 pm
I decided to go into itunes and toss all my songs into one list is this right or wrong to do

geposted Tue 27 Dec 11 @ 9:41 pm
Uuuuhm... - maybe we can help if you tell us what we can help you with.
What is supposed to happen?
What is the effect you wish for?

geposted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 12:48 pm
Only you can answer how organization should be. Because in the end, you have to find the stuff.

Personally for me, I don't do it that way. You really don't need all of your songs in 1 list, because eventually that list will get way to big to scroll through. You should use the VDJ search bar to find any song in your library, instead of scrolling a large playlist for it.

I use the iTunes playlists as a pick list. I do not play the entire list, I just use the list to organize similar songs. Like "Country", "Pop" or "Group dance" songs. So that I can quicly find more of the same songs at a show. Personally, I only put MEGA hit songs (really well known by everyone in the crowd) and try to keep those playlists below 100 songs each. This way the list will only have great songs that everybody knows and the playlists will be manageable (don't have to scroll far in VDJ) when the playlists are below 100 songs.

geposted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 12:57 pm
inDOKnito wrote :
Uuuuhm... - maybe we can help if you tell us what we can help you with.
What is supposed to happen?
What is the effect you wish for?

I do agree, when looking at Media Money, I assumed you were trying to organize your media. A better question is, what are you using a seperate program from VDJ for? VDJ will do pretty much everything you need to do, to get organized.

I only use iTunes because the playlists are compatible with other popular DJ software that I own.
The iTunes playlists sync to my iPod (for backup).
I also find it easier to manage large amounts of songs in iTunes.

But, making changes in seperate software (Media Monkey, iTunes, Win Media Player or Win Amp) has challenges as well. Once all of your changes are made, VDJ has to scan for changes and there is some manual updating (as i mentioned earlier).

Ultimately, if you are not very computer savy, sticking with VDJ for changes, playlists and general organization may be the best option. For instructions on how to do all that, reffer to the VDJ manual.

geposted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 1:07 pm
Guys
I'm looking for a way to keep everything in its place I read you comments and I have gone ahead and made playlists in Itunes so when I use VDJ I can quick access everything plus some files have errors and I want to correct everything

geposted Wed 28 Dec 11 @ 8:43 pm
How you organise your music collection will be up to your own personal preferences.

Many DJ's will typically organise their music by decade/genre (E.g: 80's\Pop) for older stuff, and year/genre for recent songs (E.g: 2011\12\R'n'B) They may also make virtual folders for lists of specific music, e.g: Current Top 40.

If you get error when loading a song, then this is because you have moved or renamed it outside of VirtualDJ, so its database entry no-longer points to a valid file. Please see: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Error%20loading%20song.html

geposted Thu 29 Dec 11 @ 4:57 am
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions by the way when does VDJ 8 come out

geposted Thu 29 Dec 11 @ 8:46 pm
well thats understandable you have to keep things under the hat.

geposted Fri 30 Dec 11 @ 9:02 am
I also use Media Monkey to edit my MP3 tags in bulk and find that VirtualDJ does not update the tags. This what I found.

VirtualDJ creates an XML file when it FIRST sees a media file. It stores information about the media file in the XML such as tags, comments, filename, location etc, and also records the date and time that first saw the file. It seems that VDJ will not update the file if you edit the tags outside of VDJ. If you use VDJ to edit the information then the XML gets updated. While this is fine, but I want to update my files in bulk, not one at a time.

I have found that forcing VDJ to re-create this file solves the problem and updates the tags.

Here is my work around:
1 - Use Media Monkey or iTunes to edit your media files.
2 - May sure that VDJ is closed then delete the XML file (C:\...\My Documents\VirtualDJ\VirtualDJ Database v*.XML)
3 - Start up VDJ and point the browser to the location of your music folders. At this point you should see a message from VDJ that is reading the tags for the entire file folder.
4 - When it is finished, the updated tags should be there in the browser.
5 - Go to the directory where the XML file was located before you deleted it. A new VirtualDJ Database v*.XML should be created.
6 - Finished

geposted Fri 10 Feb 12 @ 5:37 pm
If you do that, you will lose other information stored in your database, including BPM, custom comments, etc. along with virtual and filter folders.

You should normally be able to reload all tags except comment by high-lighting the files, right-click and choose Batch -> Reload Tag.

For comment, choose Batch -> Erase Comment, then Batch -> Reload Tag.

Make sure that ID3 Comments is enabled in CONFIG -> Options.

geposted Fri 10 Feb 12 @ 7:20 pm
Teamer just a note that to read the comments is NOT located in the options tab but in the browser tab. But I have "batch relaoded" the tags and the album art which is written to the ID3 tag is not updating. Any suggestions?

geposted Wed 29 Feb 12 @ 5:08 am
So for the ones who organize thru mm how can we make VDJ update with our changes to our library...because im always changing things as i organize my Library. Especially when i rip new cds MM is the best way i can put it where i want then tag the party worthy songs using the grouping field. How do i get VDJ to understand those changes, also is the a way i can do a folder or playlist in virtual dj that will automatically use the grouping field to build a certain list of songs

geposted Tue 27 Aug 13 @ 12:51 am
I found something that works for me...well 2 thing...1. for itunes i found a thing called itunes watch folder. Basically a app that adds watch folder type actions to add songs to itunes while keeping your self-made file structure. it also removes dead links after manually moving files.

2. Media monkey is export all playlist option in media monkey directly to VDJ playlist folder. just the m3u cause entire play list will also copy the songs...

geposted Thu 29 Aug 13 @ 6:57 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)