Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: First Gig, Beginner, Please Help? (:

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hey everyone (:
Im 18, senior in high school,and new to DJing. However, I've got until May, so about 3 months until I DJ for my choir banquet. I've NEVER DJ'ed anywhere before, so this is a first, and Im already nervous. What do I do?Where do I start?

I've got the VDJ software, Serato Scratch Live, Serato Itch, Mixxx, Im just trying to play around with it. I've got two fairly decent sized speakers. Do I need a mic?Ive got a pair of Sony MDR-NC6 and Beats Studios by Dr.Dre.

As far as mixers, Ive got none right now. My choir teacher said it's perfectly okay just doing it virtually, but Ive been looking into some, as I've wanted a controller for a while now.
Does the Traktor Kontrol S2 look good? Or the Numark Mixtrack or Mixdeck? Im willing to spend up to $400,$500 on this, but of course, something cheaper, higher quality's always good.

With music,I don't think I'll need to do any "tricks" for this gig, but Ive got to practice more on transitioning between songs.
Any good,appropriate songs for this? It's going to be mainly top 40's, like Rihanna, LMFAO, etc.

Are there any tips? Anything Im missing? How to set this up?Because if this pans out right, I'll pursue this throughout college starting this summer.Thank you! (:

geposted Sat 11 Feb 12 @ 5:56 pm
You've got VDJ, Scratch Live, Itch and Mixxx - yet you're still at school and have never DJed before?

Doesn't make sense to me!

Anyway - what exactly are these speakers you mentioned? Hi-fi speakers won't cut it. You'll need PA speakers.

Whether you require a mic or not is up to you and the person hiring you. If they want you to use a mic, then you need one! Check with them.

And you've got no controller/mixer? How did you get Itch then, as that only ships with compatible controllers, and is no use without one?

Scratch Live only works with Rane hardware, so you must have either a Rane mixer or sound card - right?

geposted Tue 14 Feb 12 @ 11:16 am
Well,of course Im still at school lol.Im planning on attending university starting this June actually. Most likely going into software engineering. I play instruments, and Ive just started with this, so music, as much as I love it, is going to be a side thing until I have a good income or something,yknow?

Anyway,
The speakers I've got are 2 MTX Audio TP112.

I only got it a while back because they have it on their websites for free download so I was just downloading a bunch ;p I'll most likely get the Traktor Kontrol S2 though.

geposted Tue 14 Feb 12 @ 6:31 pm
You seem to have missed the point!

For starters, Scratch Live and Itch are no good without the associated hardware. If you haven't purchased the hardware, the software is no use to you.

The speakers you have are pretty basic - so fine for a small crowd in a small room.

In a large gym hall or similar with 200 or more people, you're going to struggle.

geposted Wed 15 Feb 12 @ 10:17 am
I'll weigh in, but I strongly advise against the Mixdeck. It's heavy and prone to being outdated quickly. I'll elaborate soon, but I'm sure you can see why.

geposted Tue 21 Feb 12 @ 11:20 am
X, you are going to have to get the hardware or not do the event. Try to upgrade your speakers cause most likely, you will be in a gym. Always take a mic just in case. You might want to introduce yourself in your opening. Watch and read the crowd. If a song is not what the crowd wants to hear, mix it off.

geposted Wed 22 Feb 12 @ 10:29 am
Ya man no worries I'm new to it too. I'm also a senior in high school had my first gig about 1 month ago. Its nerve racking. I got into it because I'm the president of my school and we dropped 10 grand on new JBL subs, speaker, mixer, wedges, chords, Numark ndx 400 and all kinds of stuff. I just recently bought a used hercules mp3 e2 player. Still learning but got a couple mixes after a while it comes naturally. Just watch the crowd they will most likely feel the song or just hate it. If you need help/advice let me know. I have a IT who is crazy smart and works at a very prestigious university and i can ask him questions for you.
BEST OF LUCK!

geposted Mon 27 Feb 12 @ 8:27 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)