Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: DJ TOMKNN "Rhythm Is A Dancer"

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

TOMKNNControlleristMember since 2012

geposted Thu 20 Jun 13 @ 7:20 am
VernskiPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Dude,

Learn to beatmatch.........

geposted Sat 22 Jun 13 @ 7:24 pm
Dude....THANKS! I have my own style and I'm always working at my "beatmatch". Some are better than other and I'm just trying to learn as I go. I wish I had someone to show me a few things but in my area there are not a lot of DJ's for hobby. I'm just doing this for the fun of it and I like to keep my mixes moving. Not trying or wanting to be a pro but just trying to get music out there. Thanks for you message.

geposted Sat 29 Jun 13 @ 8:35 am
Great, these forums provide heaps of opportunities for new/learning dj's to pick up skills and improve. I'm pretty new at it too, although I do spend quite a bit of time on forums. I'd be happy to help you out if you want the help.

Cheers
Vernski.

geposted Sun 30 Jun 13 @ 5:31 pm
Thanks I may take you up on that sometime. All my mixes I have only practiced ONE time before I record them and never went back to perfect any of them. Some of my tracks have been hard to mix yet I have been trying to give it a go. Other tracks the quality may not be the greatest because they were hard to find songs but I really wanted to mix them. I really do appreciate the feedback. Being completely self taught makes it difficult to learn but to me it always comes back to the music. Have a great day.

geposted Mon 01 Jul 13 @ 7:30 am
Hey there,

Something you need to understand when posting your mixes is that it should be the best possible standard. If you know they need work then they shouldn't be posted. There's lots of us that are self taught, but it's important to post a good mix because people will judge you on your work. I don't think you should force songs together for the sake of the music. Work with songs that fall together nicely and zero in on beat matching. I would also recommend that you put together a mini mix of 10 to 15 minutes and really zero in on the basics. Nobody is going to want to listen to an hour's worth of poorly mixed music. You're not doing yourself any favours by churning the same stuff and posting it on the Internet.

So you got to ask yourself why do mix music?
Why do you post it?
Why compromise track quality for the sake of an obscure track?
Do you need to force songs together?
Do you want to improve?

I'm not sure if you want this kind of feedback and my intention isn't to offend. I believe that forums are far too quiet when it comes to mix discussion. Input of any kind must be a good thing however.

Happy mixing, let me know how you go...

geposted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 9:04 am
I get it....you don't like my mixing. I do it for myself and for anybody who doesn't have a problem with it. I will post as I want to. Thanks for the feedback but I'm will continue to do things the way I want. Best to you.

geposted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 9:13 am
By the way I listened to your mixes and your not doing a whole lot better than a lot of people I hear. Just saying.

geposted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 9:20 am
Sorry I offended you, I consider myself a noob and I'm open to judgement and criticism because if I don't take it on board then I wouldn't improve.

Don't see the point in posting mix cloud links on this forum if you won't accept discussion or feedback...???

Anyway,

Good luck with your mixing

geposted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 9:36 am
Let me add a dime to this,

I get what both of you are saying, but when quickly listening to it, I think with a little effort you can get the quality of your mixes up a whole bit. And honest truth, you should, your postings are public, on a big network full of (semi) pro's and yeah... it needs work, especially since you are doing this for at least 7 months I see..

So lets give you, Tom, a little hand..

You play popular EDM, that's not the easiest genre to get started with. Its melodic, lots of vocals and often not as straight forward as more true house styles. And as you say, not every tracks mixes as good as the others. Better said.. some tracks are never going to mix well and shouldn't be mixed!!. Biggest reason for this is not immediately tempo, but more harmonics and energy.

There are a few guidelines you can follow. Nothing is obligated or 'the only truth' but I promise you following these will make your mixes should lots better...

On the mixing:

- If you cant beat match, turn on smart_play or use sync
- Until you can fully trust your ears, mix strictly in key: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/05/beginner-1-2-3-of-mixing-in-key/
- Be aware of the build up of the tracks. In general its repeating blocks of 8 bars, so 32 beats. Dont just start in the next track at the first beat, but preferably on the first beat of the block (right after a build up or right at the start o a break down)
- Prevent mixing double lead vocals
- Use the long versions, not radio or popular edits. Long version have a build up and build down especially for mixing

When following the above, your transitions can safely (and should at least be 20 seconds long, preferably much longer.

On the selection:

- Think of your flow.. You start at A and eventually end at Z, moving stations B, C, D etc. What is the story you want to tell? What is the build up? Where do you wanna go with the whole thing.
- Be aware of energy, steep tempo changes, or going from very energetic to very deep will have an effect on the listeners mood and experience of the mix. Do changes in energy gradually and with care.
- Its super tempting when you have this one song you want to get in your mix, I know exactly what you mean. But if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. Forcing it in will in general never end well.
- For now.. mix 45 minutes maximum, that's a good length to fully keep concentration and also to keep the listeners attention.

On publishing:

The attitude to 'mix live and keep the errors in' is in generally good (I did exactly the same years ago: http://www.mixcloud.com/jboerlage/sunday-night-mixes-best-of-2010-part-0-the-beginning/) , but you will need to keep raising the bar for yourself. If it doesn't work the first take, do a second, or a third, or a fourth, or a fifth etc until you feel you did truly the best you could. And after publishing, relisten, relisten and relisten and find the flaws. Learn from those.

Good luck!

geposted Fri 05 Jul 13 @ 8:30 pm
I read this but because my schedule is so busy busy right now I can't respond FULLY as I want too but didn't want you to think I didn't see your POST and your feedback. I definitely do appreciate the feedback. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted my mixes.

I started mixing again this winter when I had a lot more time on my hands and needed a hobby to take my mind off things. That was when I discovered software that allowed me to bring back something I used to do on an actual mix board that I had years ago. Back then I self taught myself how to blend beats and learned that DJing and MIXING music is very much like playing a piano any instrument. You need that EAR. It was so much fun and all I ever did with it was make CD's for me and my friends. Now I just play them at our weekly Saturday cocktail parties. To pick it back up all these years later and have great joy with even as simple as MY mixes are was awesome. I am very well aware of the quality but because my schedule has me so busy right now I don't have the time to sit with them like I want too. I hear the problems with each one I make but I am just compelled to keep moving on them so I can continue learning. There is a ton I need to know and I have a million questions. I want to learn way more. I almost wish someone could re-mix some of my tracks to point out what I need to do and where it didn't work.

MUSIC is my life and the little free time I get I try to either make a mix or play my mixes that I already have done. I do try to tell stories with each and every one of my mixes. I have my own style too which I know makes the mixing sound not the best to the trained ear. Right now I play these mixes to people who are not sitting there picking it apart so I get to just enjoy the sound of it for whatever it is but mostly it is the tracks I pick out. I know I am breaking a huge rule by bringing in a song to early at times but I as a listener get really into not knowing what the next song is trying to be before I realize what it is. Back in the day when I would go clubbing and dancing it would be some of my favorite parts on the dance floor that anticipation of the next song trying to break in.

Like I said this discussion is so important to me but I am not trying to be a PRO DJ.....at least not with these mixes. ;) I am worried now though to even attempt my next mix because right now I only have time to just keep them moving a little so I can practice on different things.

I have cut and pasted your post in a document I can review later when I have the time to take a look at it. It would be great this winter when I have more time to maybe re-mix and polish one of my mixes. Thank you again for taking the time to break down the feedback you have given to me. ;) Peace.

geposted Sat 06 Jul 13 @ 9:07 am
I am going to keep mixing but I will STOP posting them on this forum but will continue doing them as I do them.

geposted Sat 06 Jul 13 @ 9:17 am
Your dime in this thread jboerlage is invaluable help and very well put. You handled it far better than I did and I must say that I learned quite a lot on how to carry oneself on a forum.

I know that my intentions were to help, but in the end all I did was alienate tomkin instead. For what it's worth, I'm sorry for my attempt at helping you out tomkin, jboerlage demonstrated the way it should be done.

Happy mixing.

geposted Sat 06 Jul 13 @ 11:16 am
Hey V.E.R.N.S.K.I. No hard feelings. I realize you were trying to come from a good place. At first your tone was upsetting because as much as you were trying to offer constructive criticism I was defensive. I understand that my mixes need work and I have a lot to learn but there were parts for me that listening to my own music mixed together was the joy for me. I know I am not the best DJ but there were parts to some of my mixes that I truly love. Plus I have been learning with each one of the tracks that I try to bring together. If it sounds FORCED I'm not trying for that but trying to do different things. I'm a "hands on" kind of guy so I like to learn things as I do it. Mostly, I am just happy I didn't give up after my first attempts at mixing. I was trying so hard at first to make everything perfect it wasn't fun and I was about to lose interest when something inside me told me to just keep giving it a go. Discovering MIXCLOUD was another piece that was making this a lot of fun. I'm able to practice, play, and record and get it all up on the internet so I can bring it around with me no matter where I went. At work I am able to play my mixes and also at home. I listen to my own stuff every single day and hear where it didn't work so I can learn. When I record I do it all live and record until my entire set is done. So even though it doesn't sound like it has been worked on but all my mixes are little works of progress for me. I really respect the DJ community and this forum. I am working on my next mix even though I will have all the issues I have been having with this mix but I just want to keep going. I already know I am mixing Janet Jacksons club mix of her song "Feedback". Your correct when you said jboerlage handled this issue nicely and very much respectful which I totally appreciated. I am already looking forward to getting into the tutorials once I have the time at the end of my work season

I am glad this wasn't a dropped topic although I wish it wasn't because of the quality of something I do put some time into. ;) I will look forward to more discussions. Happy weekend and play music.

geposted Sun 07 Jul 13 @ 7:41 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)