Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VMS4.1 looproll with the touch strips

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I'm getting pretty fond of my VMS4.1 (I'm even starting to forgive the jog wheels needing those rubber covers), but I've always though the default mapping of the touchstrips (to scroll the file browser) was completely rubbish and unusable.

I've finally found a good use for them - as a control for the loop roll effect. This was inspired by the needle selector strip on the CDJ-2000 (when it's in "slip roll" mode).

I couldn't get this to work nicely with the VDJ7.4 built in "loop_roll" verb (as VDJ insists that loop_roll has the loop size set at the same time it's activated, whereas the VMS4.1 has separate MIDI signals for the finger position of the strip and pressing down on the strip) but I've used TexZK's LoopRoll effect (http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/12952/LoopRoll.html) to achieve the same thing:

Here's the mapping if you're using the default VMS4.1 device mapper:

L_TOUCH_STRIP_BTN: deck 1 effect 'looproll' slider 1 100% & deck 1 effect 'looproll' slider 3 100% & deck 1 effect 'looproll' active while_pressed
L_TOUCHSLIDER: param_invert & deck 1 effect 'looproll' slider 2
R_TOUCH_STRIP_BTN: deck 2 effect 'looproll' slider 1 100% & deck 2 effect 'looproll' slider 3 100% & deck 2 effect 'looproll' active while_presse
R_TOUCHSLIDER: param_invert & deck 2 effect 'looproll' slider 2

Here's the mapping if you're using DJDAD's "Pro" VMS4.1 device mappings (http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/12221/American_Audio_VMS4_Pro_Full.html):

TOUCH_STRIP_BTN: effect 'looproll' slider 1 100% & effect 'looproll' slider 3 100% & effect 'looproll' active while_pressed
TOUCHSLIDER: param_invert & effect 'looproll' slider 2

To use, just press down on the touchstrip, and it'll start slip looping. Bottom of the strip loops at 1/64 of a beat, top of the strip does 8 beats, with all the increments in between. Remove your finger from the strip and it'll stop looping immediately and jump back to where you would've been in the original track if you hadn't had started looping.

Note the mapping forces the LoopRoll effect into slip mode and forward loop. When I get a moment I'll do a mapping which, when shift it pressed, does the loop backwards. I'll post it here when I get a moment but should be a pretty simple extra mapping to do yourself if you can't wait.

It's all simple stuff, but hope that's useful to VMS4/VMS4.1 owners wanting something more useful from their touchstrips.

geposted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 8:23 am
cool another potential mapper ;-)

If you want a tip on how to use the built in loop_roll command you can access different areas of the touchstrip using param_smaller, param_greater or param_equal eg the pattern you could follow is

param_equal 0% ? nothing & turnOffYourThingsEgLoopRoll : param_smaller 25% ? doSomething : param_smaller 50% ? doSoimethingElse : param_smaller 75% ? anothingThing : yetAnotherThing

that will seperate the touchstrip into 4 sections that you can access with anything you like

geposted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 9:01 am
Thanks - yeah, I was wondering about doing that. The min loop (1/64 beats) is too small, and the max (8 beats) is way too big, so I was thinking about adjusting it so it would work just in the 1/16 thru 2 beats range which would be more useful.

Meantime, as the 1/64 thru 8 range is 10 individual loop timings I stuck an 8cm label to next to each touch strip with lines at 8mm increments so I know which loop is where. My VMS4.1 is covered in dymo labels where I've remapped things ;-)

geposted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 10:15 am
if you want to shorten the length of the effect slider that the touch strip will cover you can use 'param_multiply 120% & param_add 20%' you will need to play with the percentages as that is just a guess. here is an example of where to put it

L_TOUCHSLIDER: param_invert & param_multiply 120% & param_add 20% & deck 1 effect 'looproll' slider 2

geposted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 11:34 am
I also have the VMS 4.1 and I think this is a killer idea, granted i'm using my Midi Fighter with synthet1c's roop roll mapping in it, but I wouldn't mind dropping my finger on those useless touchstrips and starting from the top, dragging my finger up/down to shorten/lengthen the roll... that would be dope.

and while we're here... what about that "mouse" pad in the middle??? i'm thinking maybe using it for filter properties like the kaoss pad? hold shift or "load a/load b" for left and right decks while dragging your finger around and manipulating filters? x=filter parameter 1 and y=filter parameter 2? let me know what you guys think on this... are we on to something here?!?

i'll have to work on some mappings this week, and post what I come up with.

thanks for the motivation rmundell & synthet1c

-cheers

geposted Sat 06 Jul 13 @ 9:48 pm
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Great Idea...once the sliders were one of the reasons i bought the 4.1...now the dust might be removed of them...;-)

geposted Mon 08 Jul 13 @ 4:49 pm
I'd love the mouse pad and buttons to send MIDI signals without SHIFT being pressed. Wish American Audio would open source the firmware so this could be tweaked but I doubt they'll do it.

geposted Wed 10 Jul 13 @ 4:32 am
hi guys
is there a way of deactivating these pesky touch strips ? as mine have a mind of their own and scroll the menues without me touching them .
right pain in the butt when on a gig
any help will be appreciated

geposted Mon 20 Jan 14 @ 12:31 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Deleting the mapping actions of the TOUCHSTIPS in CONFIG-->Mappers tab would help i suppose

geposted Mon 20 Jan 14 @ 2:42 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)