Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DDJ-S1 became unresponsive twice last night

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

So, last night at a gig my S1 became unresponsive two separate times. Both about an hour to hour and a half from each other. Basically, nothing worked at all but I could still do things on the software itself. I had to turn the power off on the S1 and back on and then close down VDJ and open it back it up in order to get it to work. Any ideas? I used it 3 other times in the past couple of weeks without this happening. I did however last night see that tracks were loading very slow when I loaded them or they would partially, then stop for about 15-20 second, load partially again, stop, then load all the way.

Im thinking maybe the external hard drive is on the fritz? Would that cause the S1 to become unresponsive and make me have to restart VDJ?

Latest version of VDJ, Dell laptop with 8gigs of memory, Win 7 64 Bit, all latest drivers installed on laptop and S1.

geposted Sun 03 Nov 13 @ 9:44 am
Anyone? Anyone? Did a ton of searching and havent found any answers, unfortunately.

geposted Mon 04 Nov 13 @ 9:46 am
Unit becomes unresponsive and does the music stop? Win or Mac? Also, when you restarted VDJ did you lose any virtual folders and or recently added music?
Just had it happen Sat night, Win8 & NS7FX... I'm going to try a new USB cable, hopefully thats all it is.

geposted Mon 04 Nov 13 @ 5:18 pm

geposted Mon 04 Nov 13 @ 5:42 pm
No, the music keeps going. I can control everything on the software and laptop touch pad. Just nothing with the S-1 until I turn it off and back on, and restart VDJ. Nothing was lost when I restarted VDJ.

My PC is fully configured to high performance. All back ground processes are 100% shut down, and the PC is optimized fully. No WiFi connected, no anti-virus, and so on.

I did a little more research and I'm thinking the issue may have been due to my external HD over heating. I kept it in my roadcase that night, and the HD is inside a protective hard case to keep it safe from bumps. I'm not 100% on it, but my guess is if the HD got too hot, it may have caused the S-1 to lose to responsiveness. Regardless, I'm taking a small MP3 player with me from now to plug into the house systems or the Aux port on the S-1 so if or when this happens again, I can at least switch over real quick to the MP3 player until I get everything restarted and not be stuck with dead air.

geposted Tue 05 Nov 13 @ 12:12 pm
I dont agree with the external overheating because all of my incidents have been within the first hour - 90 min. of a 4, 5, 6 hour gig. Laptop overheating was a concern years ago so I stopped using the glide shelf and went to a stand & still had problems.

All the externals being used out there in offices & dusty DJ booths would be suffering the same fate don't you think?
Subsequently, anyone not using a external and keeping tunes on their gig machine having these issues? If thats a more secure way to play then I'll clean out the dusty tracks and keep what I need under 1TB.

geposted Tue 05 Nov 13 @ 3:54 pm
Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Sounds like the unit lost it's connection with VDJ. Could be a bad usb cable or connection. Have you tried switching ports or cables? Are you using a usb 2.0 port, or a 3.0? This can also be caused by being on the same electrical circuit as something draws a ton of power.

geposted Fri 08 Nov 13 @ 3:56 pm
Speaking for my problem, I've since replaced my high speed USB on my NS7 with a very well made cable from DJ Tech Tools. But since gigs are far & few for me I wont know if its solved my problem for a while.
For $15 every controller user should buy one and take the one that came with your controller & throw it in the trash.

geposted Fri 08 Nov 13 @ 7:44 pm
Spoke with Seagate tech support today about external overheating. Basically if your drive is not obstructed from getting air you shouldn't experience overheating.
And when a drive does suffer overheating it will prompt an alert, although with VDJ maximized I don't know that we would catch it.

geposted Mon 11 Nov 13 @ 3:00 pm
I did some tests and it was without an absolute doubt, my external HD getting too hot. As long as I keep it in an open air spot where it can stay cool, then everything works perfectly fine with zero issues.

geposted Tue 12 Nov 13 @ 8:24 am
Good to know.... what make drive and where does it sit when your at gigs?

geposted Tue 12 Nov 13 @ 3:47 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)