Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Powered speakers "optimizer"

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I was looking through some powered speakers reviews in the GC website and I read on one of those reviews about a so called a "DriveRack PX Powered Speaker Optimizer." This piece of equipment makes powered speakers sound louder according to what I read about the product. Anyone have any experience hooking up powered speakers to "Optimizers"? Any feedback is welcomed. Thank you in advance.

geposted Mon 20 Jan 14 @ 8:16 pm
See recent thread on the subject.

Basically the maximum volume a pair of speakers can produce is a physical limitation. They can reach a certain level and then that's it. No adding of electronic gizmos can push them beyond their physical restrictions.

If your speakers need to be louder, turn them up (your system should have enough headroom) or add another pair, or replace them with a more efficient product (that has a higher SPL).

geposted Tue 21 Jan 14 @ 5:27 am
However using LIGHT compression can increase the overall RMS output of your speakers a bit, especially if you don't play EDM / Top 50 mainstream (that's allready overcompressed from the studio)

geposted Tue 21 Jan 14 @ 5:54 am
Increase the ouput of your speakers.........well no, not really.

All a bit of compression will do is change the dynamic range of the signal, making the quiet parts louder & the loud parts quieter. If you then play this dynamically reduced version at the same output level, it will give the impression of being louder because of the restricted dynamics.

As you say, modern music is VERY compressed already.

Tracks from many years ago (if they've not been remastered recently) may benefit from a spot of extra compression, but it would be preferable to treat them individually rather than just slap a compressor on your output in case you might play an old track.

Of course DBX and any retailers selling the DriveRack are going to say how fantastic it is, and how we all need one. MRDA.

geposted Tue 21 Jan 14 @ 6:17 am
Grooving you're missing the point I'm afraid.
Your speakers have a MAXIMUM SPL.
However when you operate them you get a RMS SPL out of them (Route Mean Square).
Compression IS a TOOL that can increase the RMS output of your speakers. YES, it will lower the dynamic range.
Also, a DriveRack unit is a lot more than a Compressor. If you know how to use one it can make a difference. Trust me I've been messing around with such units for a long time...

Example: You own a pair of 15inch Self-Powered Subs. They operate in full range.
You upgrade your system and you buy a set of 18'inch self powered subs. The subs have their own crossover that can be used to tweak them. However your 15'inch (that now operate as satellites) are still working in full range.
You will get far more better results if you cut-off some low-end bass frequencies from your sats since now you have a pair of subs to handle them.
Also, cutting off some of the lower frequencies from your sats will give them headroom to work with the rest of the bass more efficiently and slightly louder. That's why it's always a good thing to use a crossover when you have subs EVEN if your subs have their own adjustable crossver.

geposted Tue 21 Jan 14 @ 7:40 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Grooving you're missing the point I'm afraid.

I don't think so.

PhantomDeejay wrote :
Compression IS a TOOL that can increase the RMS output of your speakers.

A compressed sound will appear to be louder than an uncompressed one when playing back at the same dB level.

That's what they do with TV commercials to make them "pop". That's also why songs on the radio sound different to playing them at home. Compression has been added because it's necessary for the transmission.

However, prerecorded music is already compressed. The studio engineer has finished the job. It should not be necessary for a DJ to add more compression.

PhantomDeejay wrote :
Also, a DriveRack unit is a lot more than a Compressor. If you know how to use one it can make a difference. Trust me I've been messing around with such units for a long time...

Yes I know it's more than a compressor. As I stated in the other thread, I have compressors and optimizers myself and have been using such tools since the 80s. I have my own recording studio full of hardware, and have also worked in pro studios on commercial releases for major record companies.

PhantomDeejay wrote :
Example: You own a pair of 15inch Self-Powered Subs. They operate in full range.

No - subs are bass speakers, not full range.

If they are powered, then in most cases they will already contain a crossover and a HPF output for satellite speakers. Using satellites with that sub, you should use the built in crossover, as it's been designed to work at the correct freqs for that system.

geposted Tue 21 Jan 14 @ 8:16 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :

That was a typo. I meant a set of 15inch self-powered speakers. :P Subs can never operate in full range.

geposted Tue 21 Jan 14 @ 3:31 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)