Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DDJ-SX "Error in the sound card driver"

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I just switched over to the DDJ-SX and am having this issue on my desktop PC:

When I select the DDJ-SX (non asio driver), I get an error message: "Error in the sound card driver (DirectX/WDM): Your soundcard is probably not connected, or the settings are incorrect".

The ASIO driver does work correctly, and fine. However, when im at home on my desktop it is not convenient to plug the unit into the speakers directly so I usually prefer to plug the headphones into the controller and then use the speakers through the PC sound card.

I can get my setup to work using advanced config and using ASIO DDJ driver for headphones and built in card for master. However, the ASIO driver has significantly less latency, even at highest sample setting which is really annoying for trying to mix.

Not the most pressing of issues, since in any live situation I would be using ASIO drivers, but it is a bit bothersome for messing around at home. The ddj sound card works fine under the host system (Windows 8.1). IE: I can go to the sound settings dialog both and if I press "test speakers" the sound is just fine.

I have not yet tested my laptop to see if results are the same.

edit: I managed to sync the various audio card delays... but still

geposted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 6:52 pm
It's just not designed to do what you're trying to do.

It's a pro unit with a low latency audio interface designed for DJing, and for having speakers connected to its output. The best thing you could do is buy yourself a pair of monitor speakers. You'll thank me later!

geposted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 7:03 pm
No your missed the point, vdj (and vdj alone) throws an error when using the non-asio driver which sounds to me like a bug, regardless of whether I "need" to use the non-asio driver. Like i said, I am able to sync the sound now, but now with this config i am getting horrible crackling every 10-15 minutes unless I reset the buffer or check and uncheck safe mode... not sure if this is a result of using the asio driver with the non asio driver at the same time, or if its a ddj-sx/vdj issue or what... didnt happen with NS7.

ps: I have studio monitors/high quality sound card/etc.... just not on my desktop at home (they wouldnt fit on my desk anyway).

geposted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 9:02 pm
Go to sound settings and make sure DDJ-SX is set as a quadraphonic device
Also please make sure that it's not used by Windows as the default playback, recording or communications device.

Finally, in "NON-ASIO" mode the audio settings should be:

Inputs: NONE
Outputs: Headphones
Soundcard: 4.1 Soundcard

geposted Thu 10 Apr 14 @ 1:16 am
Reo Baird wrote :
sounds to me like a bug

No it's not a bug in VDJ. It's because in many cases the standard Windows WDM drivers have restrictions which the ASIO drivers do not.

One of the common restrictions is the number of available input/output channels. An interface that has multiple channels under ASIO may only have one channel with WDM. The error message gave the clue - "...the settings are incorrect".

geposted Thu 10 Apr 14 @ 4:27 am
BTW: Technically it's IMPOSSIBLE to use the same device on ASIO and "WDM" (WASAPI to be more accurate) mode at the same time. It's one way or another.

geposted Thu 10 Apr 14 @ 5:27 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
BTW: Technically it's IMPOSSIBLE to use the same device on ASIO and "WDM" (WASAPI to be more accurate) mode at the same time. It's one way or another.

I think perhaps there is a misunderstanding on what the issue is:

If I choose the most simple, basic configuration possible:
Inputs: None
Outputs: Single Output
Soundcard: Simple, Speakers (PIONEER DDJ-SX)

I get the error message.
------------
What I want to do is this:
Soundcard: 2 cards, Primary Sound Card, Speakers (PIONEER DDJ-SX)

This also gives error
------------
If i choose:
Soundcard: 4.1, Speakers (PIONEER DDJ-SX)

This also gives error (and also doesn't achieve result I am looking for).
------------
If I choose:
Outputs: Advanced Configuration
Master -> Primary device (Outputs 1&2)
Headphones -> Pioneer DDJ-SX ASIO (Outputs 3&4)

I get the result I am looking for. However, with this configuration the audio on the master out starts crackling/popping after ~10 minutes. This only occurs if I am using the Pioneer ASIO driver for the second output. The crackling is resolved immediately by resetting the audio output (ie: go to menu and change buffer size or check/uncheck safe mode)

The DDJ-SX shows up fine in windows, is not set to be default audio device for any purpose, and test tones play correctly using windows sound control panel.

The only hint that something is awry is that if I go (in windows) Sound -> ddj-sx -> configure, under "Choose your configuration", there are no options listed. This is really odd, since I would expect to see Stereo, 4.1, etc. (this is the case with my NS7). Whats further odd is that this hints to me that windows is not correctly detecting the device. However, if i right click -> play test, windows is able to play test notes out of all 4 channels.

So, there is definitely one or more bugs here.
A) the DDJ is not correctly reporting its audio channel information to windows

and/or B) Virtual DJ is not capable of operating with the information that the DDJ is providing about its capabilities even though windows and other programs are able to just fine.

and C) Somewhere in the chain, a bug is causing audio artifacts after an interval of time when using the pioneer ASIO driver along with the default sound device.

Edit:

I just tried on my laptop and behavior is exactly the same. So, this is a systematic issue and not unique to my desktop. If the DDJ is not fully reporting its info, clearly this a pioneer issue. However, there's a VDJ issue here as well: the crackling, and the fact that other windows applications are able to the ddj-sx USB audio without issue and without the ASIO driver.

geposted Thu 10 Apr 14 @ 7:59 pm
Reo Baird wrote :

If I choose the most simple, basic configuration possible:
Outputs: Single Output
Soundcard: Simple, Speakers (PIONEER DDJ-SX)

I get the error message.
------------

In this case there's more than meets the eye here.
Please contact support.

geposted Fri 11 Apr 14 @ 2:24 am
Crackling on the ASIO setting is usually caused by having your ASIO buffer set too low.

Details of how to adjust this should be in the DDJ-SX manual. You may also need to change the ASIO options in VDJ.

Once you've set it correctly, there should be no audio break up.

Using ASIO is not "plug & play". The buffer setting needs to be adjusted because it varies from computer to computer, due to different hardware/software/drivers installed on each computer.

geposted Fri 11 Apr 14 @ 5:17 am
If you are using advanced config with your computers internal sound card as one of the outputs and an ASIO sound card as the other then you will most likely have problems due to timing differences between the two cards.

One card is a high latency consumer card built into your computer and the other is a low latency high quality ASIO sound card built into the DDJ-SX.

A better solution is to simply use the sound cad in the DDJ-SX only (As you would do when DJ'ing live with it in a bar/club or with PA speakers) and then run a link cable from its master output RCA sockets into your computer's sound card line input. This will avoid any timing issues because you only using the sound card in the DDJ-SX and your master sound will come out of your computer's speakers via its line in (If you hear nothing, go into your sound card's control panel and ensure that the line in volume is turned up and it's not muted.)

An even better solution is to invest in a pair of powered studio monitor speakers as already suggested and plug them into the master output of the DDJ-SX. This will give you much higher sound quality than your computer's speakers.

geposted Fri 11 Apr 14 @ 6:02 am
groovindj wrote :
Crackling on the ASIO setting is usually caused by having your ASIO buffer set too low.

Details of how to adjust this should be in the DDJ-SX manual. You may also need to change the ASIO options in VDJ.

Once you've set it correctly, there should be no audio break up.

Using ASIO is not "plug & play". The buffer setting needs to be adjusted because it varies from computer to computer, due to different hardware/software/drivers installed on each computer.

I have tried varying buffer lengths all the way to maximum and many combinations inbetween. The crackling is coming primarily from the non-ASIO source, not the ASIO source. It also occurs only after a set period of usage, like I mentioned above, so buffer length being too short is unlikely. No matter how heavily I load up VDJ, it doesnt crackle if 10-15 minutes hasnt passed (IE: all 4 decks playing, multiple effects on each, samples, sweaping all kinds of effect parameters simultaneously, etc.). As soon as it starts crackling, any old single audio track just goes to garbage to the point it is unrecognizable within a few minutes (think cranking up a bit crusher effect to max, and not filtering clicks and pops)

I have tried checking DPC timing, it stays rock solid. I have monitored CPU load, negligible at all times on all 8 cores. there is a bug here, it has nothing to do with audio settings or load on cpu or anything else. Where is the bug? I don't know. Is it purely the fault of VDJ software, maybe, maybe not? I don't know enough about audio programming to comment conclusively. I do know enough about audio, computers, and programming to tell the difference between a configuration error and a bug.

Support staff wrote :
If you are using advanced config with your computers internal sound card as one of the outputs and an ASIO sound card as the other then you will most likely have problems due to timing differences between the two cards.

One card is a high latency consumer card built into your computer and the other is a low latency high quality ASIO sound card built into the DDJ-SX.

A better solution is to simply use the sound cad in the DDJ-SX only (As you would do when DJ'ing live with it in a bar/club or with PA speakers) and then run a link cable from its master output RCA sockets into your computer's sound card line input. This will avoid any timing issues because you only using the sound card in the DDJ-SX and your master sound will come out of your computer's speakers via its line in (If you hear nothing, go into your sound card's control panel and ensure that the line in volume is turned up and it's not muted.)

An even better solution is to invest in a pair of powered studio monitor speakers as already suggested and plug them into the master output of the DDJ-SX. This will give you much higher sound quality than your computer's speakers.

As I previously noted, I do own a pair of studio monitors, some nice KRK Rokit 8s that I have been quite happy with, and this is all great when I am doing something serious. Sometimes I wish to mess around at my home desktop, where there is no room for studio monitors. This is the issue.

My whole thing is, with my previous controllers I have been able to go home, plug in the controller with USB cable, plug in my headphones to the controller and mess around for 30 minutes without screwing around with additional cables. This has been one of my favorite features of VDJ vs Serato (the ability to route sound wherever) and it is something I use a lot.

As I also noted, the timing is not the issue, I am able to increase the ASIO latency to match the internal card.

The three bugs I have encountered are as I noted in my above post. As a "power user" (background in software engineering), I use VDJ over its competitors for its flexibility. I like the ability to map stuff using XML files, write plugins, send audio where I want, etc. so I would like to see a fix for this, whether it be fixing of the crackling when using ASIO output alongside non-asio output, or supporting the DDJ-SX as an external usb audio device without ASIO driver. Both would be ideal.

geposted Fri 11 Apr 14 @ 2:08 pm
The problem comes from mixing two different technologies - WDM as used by your internal sound card and ASIO as used by the DDJ-SX. The crackling comes from incompatibility between the two cards you are using.

One thing to check is that both cards are set to the same sample rate and bit depth in their control panels, otherwise VirtualDJ will be performing a conversion on the fly and this can cause issues in some cases.

Preferably 16-bit/44.1Khz (44100) should be used for both sound cards for the best results.

NOTE: Sound configuration options should be improved in the forthcoming VirtualDJ v8.

geposted Sat 12 Apr 14 @ 1:22 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)