Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Your Opinion: Making People Dance

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
In my own opinion, our job as DJs, unless specially asked, is not to make people dance. Dancing is a byproduct of what we do. Not the end all, be all. Let's break it down by event.

Bars:
Our job is to attract and keep as many people in the bar as possible. We are to entertain and make people happy. Make them want to stay and spend money. They might be dancing, but they might also be bobbing their heads, toe tapping, or chatting with a cutie or friends. Also, if we were/could keep everyone dancing, the bar that is paying us wouldn't be too happy. We are there to encourage and increase their liquor sales.

Wedding ceremony:
Strictly background music and PA for the vows / officiant.

Wedding Reception:
Outside of the major wedding dances, our job is to show the guests a good time. Often, that is dancing. However, weddings are often a chance for relatives to get to see each other and catch up. Same for friends who attend. Not everybody likes to dance or feels comfortable doing so. But, most people do like to listen to music and hear their favorite songs.

Charity Events:
Announcements and background music.

Backyard Parties (Graduation / Anniversary / BBQ / Etc.):
Again, mostly background music. Should be catchy and fun music, but getting people to dance is an uphill battle when there are usually so many other activities going on.

In all of this, dancing can and does occur, but I think we are too hard on ourselves sometimes about the quantity on our dance floors. It always feels good to have a full dance floor and to be controlling the crowd. I've had nights where it was non-stop dancing (fun!), and other nights when despite my best, I couldn't get anyone out on the floor (boring!). Most nights are somewhere in the middle. Our job as DJs IS NOT to make people dance. Our job is to make people happy in whatever way we can with our music so people enjoy the event they are attending. To some people, dancing isn't it.

Your thoughts??

geposted Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 3:33 am
Those are all good points thanks for sharing that

geposted Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 1:10 am
Maybe a better syntax would be: our job as DJ is not ONLY to make people dance, but also...

But yes, I think you've said it all.

In my case however (I live on a small island with very little in ways of entertainment, shows, concerts, etc. and only do occasional parties) people mostly gather to (finally be able to) dance. But mine isn't exactly an average case, so...

geposted Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 1:19 pm
Agree on all counts.

geposted Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 1:23 pm
Not all bars are the same. For the Bars that have space, I will dj so people can dance most of the night, Not just to snap fingers or bob heads. The owner of a bar called ravens head in Astoria Queens got mad because the dj wasn't making people dance. I do agree with the owner because people bar hop. They can see what is going on from the outside and they do not want to walk in if they don't see people dancing or not much going on inside the bar. When he called me called to Dj, he saw a big difference that night. People were dancing and the bar was packed all night. owners know when the Dj is good.

There are many djs that get fired from bars because they don't do a good job. The owner will get get rid of you and hire someone else. They are not stupid, they know the difference between a good dj and and a bad one. Alot of people dancing and having fun is a very good thing for a Bar because people will remember and return to the same bar. There is No way that people will stop drinking or drink sales dropping because of dancing. having fun makes people spend more because there is alot of excitement and the energy level is high.

geposted Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 4:16 am
That situation was noted in my first point. The requirement of dancing. But, being required, it can hurt the liquor sales of the bar. If all people are doing is dancing and it's banger after banger, they aren't leaving the dance floor to go buy drinks. Or at least not as often. That translates into less sales and less money. Yes, you want people to dance, but the whole point of us being at a bar is to increase their sales. Otherwise, they are just throwing a great party. A mix of the two is important.

Also, some nights, people just don't want to dance. There is nothing you can do about it short of dragging them by the hand out there.

But, I will concede that bar hopping/clubbing is different in different areas. Traditions are different as well.

geposted Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 5:21 am
I've been DJing for decades, working in bars, club and other venues that serve drinks.

I've never been told to deliberately cause people to leave the dance floor so they can buy a drink.

It just happens naturally. People will not stay on the dance floor all night without a drink. The dancers rotate. Some join the dance floor, and others leave.

You don't need to do anything specific as a DJ to make this happen. It just does.

geposted Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 6:30 pm
What really??

Its called "rotating the "dancefloor"!!

We do it all the time, play some bangers then drop a few not so bangin and send them to the bar.

Man Groovin you of all the people here I would except to know this??

geposted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 1:03 am
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
Its called "rotating the "dancefloor"!!

We call it "Rotating the Bar", but same difference.

If all people are doing is dancing, they aren't selling drinks.

geposted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 3:21 am
I don't know if I agree or not, but as you said dancing is where it usually ends up (and must end up).
It's ok I guess to take your time and don't try to "force" your audience to dance, but not trying to make them dance could yell the opposite results than you expect:

Bars: If you are having a good time you buy drinks and you start moving. However if the music does not help you to move (or it takes too long to get there) then you leave for the club in order to dance. So, potentially the bar is loosing drinks...

Wedding Receptions: You meet with family e.t.c. (Which BTW not all people are very fond of) and then you want to have some fun and good time with them. You don't want to sit on the table talking with them for the rest of the night. So, naturally you want to dance and "do your stuff"
If the music doesn't help then you get a ton of complaints. Either directly or from the groom and bride...

Pool parties, BBQ parties, Birthday parties, e.t.c.: The person that does the party hired a Dj. Why would you hire a Dj if not for playing some music to dance (at some point) ? He could put a playlist on his iPhone/iPad e.t.c. and leave it play for the entire event.

So, in order to sum it up: Most people WANT to dance at some point. So our job is to make it easier for them to do so. Our job is to follow their momentum and make it easy. We are not there to rush them, nor to delay them. That's why machines can't substitute us yet... Because they can't "read the crowd"

geposted Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 10:19 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)