Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Resons why not to mix when you are tiered

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

nscodeHome userMember since 2003
We are in this forum to share our mixing experience, so here is mine of today:
After my school trip to Italy has been delayed for two times I finally get going this Sunday. I've already mixed 4 CDs to play during our bus ride, but today a friend of mine asked me to mix one more CD with his track list. I agreed to do it despite the fact I was wary tiered (I was mixing the whole night) and had a terrible headache since this morning. So, here are some reasons why you shouldn't repeat my mistake:
1. You might not realize that you have already played a song just minutes ago
2. You might not be able to read your own hand writing, and the middle of the mix is not a good time to call your friend again to repeat the name of the song you are going to mix next
3. Instead of pushing an effect button you might just push Stop
4. Because you have played B.B. - Satisfaction about a million times this summer, it got so automatic that you can do it without even previewing the song, but watch out that when you typed «satisfaction» in the search field, it might have returned «I can get no satisfaction – Britney Spears» (I don't even know how I got this song on my hard drive :)
5. You might think that 80 minutes is 1 hour and 30 minutes, so you end up with a mix that is 10 minutes longer that you can squeeze in a CD
6. At that point you might be so stupid that you could go and post all your shameful mistakes in a public forum ;)
7. I had a few more reasons, but I forgot what they were

I had a few hours of sleep and than mixed it again, this time it was quite good. Well… actually compared to the first one it was perfect, but compared to that anything is :)

geposted Fri 24 Oct 03 @ 7:34 pm
Haha that's so true. unfortunately the only times i get to mix are before i go to sleep, so my cds are usually a bit below par(but i do have the good fortune of not having britney anywhere on my hard disk :)

geposted Tue 28 Oct 03 @ 4:04 pm
I agree that if you are really tired the best thing to do is NOT touch the record button.
On the other hand: I like to mix an hour or two before going to sleep. It sounds maybe weird but I get totally relaxed after that (even if I mix techno). That's not all, my mixes are at the best when I do them before going to sleep because I don't feel any pressure or something, I'm just mixing for fun and that results in one fluent mixing style.
You SHOULD try this @ home! :o)

PS: if you are wondering, I do sleep very good after that!!!!

GnoedeL

geposted Tue 28 Oct 03 @ 7:18 pm
Well, yeah....

In my opinion being tired is just one thing in how good, exact etc. your mix will be.
If you ask me, it's a matter of mood, musical surroundings (e.g. if i listen to techno music all day then it'll be really unhuman for me to start making a house mix at the end of the day but that's evident i think....:)

But yes, it IS right that if you're tired, fed up with sg. or. sn. then you should not start mixing withOUT recording, even.

But ,in the other hand, there were times when I didn't have mood for mixing at all, but there was a deadline or sumthing crap so I HAD to make the mix...and then, I was surprised when it turned out so good that I didn't believe I did that.... :))

And, the last thing I want to mention is that a mix will NEVER be good if you practiced it before recording more than twice. This is a rule that I've made by experience.

geposted Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 9:21 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Well well well,

I have to say a few words in this. If you have to do it even if you're tired.

You can do the mix if you previosly have pleny practice the mix of songs you're going to play. I don't mind exactly an study set, but some songs that you could put togheter and sound good. Relax and don't panic, you could do it good (not excellent). You need relax to make it, try some things that don't demand you so much work.

It's like walk before run, don't run if you don't have to. In the mean time you are mixing well.

good look!

acw_dj from Mexico

geposted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 7:45 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)