Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ducking Echo with hardware mode mixer - Page: 2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
was thinking about something like that as they can be used as per deck (deckfxreturn1-8 as 4 output and deckfxsend 1-8 as input)
... interesting, with splitted stems, to route rhythm instru vocal to independant output as well as external fx / mix / 4 track recording
1234-5678 1+5 ; rhythmfx 2+6 ==> bassfx 3; 3+7 ==> instrufx ; 4+8 = vocalfx ===> 4 tracks external mixer/ fx rack ==> master output
(not tested yet, just an idea)

geposted Sun 15 Nov 20 @ 7:16 pm
Adion wrote :
Still not sure I understand the complete setup.
Assuming you are talking about this one: http://www.voxoa-pro.com/products.php?lang=en&kind=12&pid=78&kind2=3
It only claims to have a 2in/2out sound card, so it can only route sound through either the left or the right channel of the mixer. So where do your effects go then?

I might have to take that screenshot anyway. As good as this software is, its this short thought process that keeps you clawing from the bottom. Ive said over and over instead of trying to make something impossible explore the possibilities. This small things wont make me switch back the pros far outweigh the cons. So its no biggie...Its just i cant stand when people tell me what cant be done... when the possibilities are endless. A global output on the effects would send the effect through both channels. which would solve the problems for external mixers. Also if the mixer has more than a 4/4 souncard that increases routing capabilities, which most newer mixers have.

geposted Sun 15 Nov 20 @ 7:25 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
But if you send it to both channels, it means the echo would be twice as loud when both channel faders are up, compared to when only one of them is up. (And still silent when both are down)
To me that seems highly unpredictable...

geposted Sun 15 Nov 20 @ 7:28 pm
Nicotux wrote :
was thinking about something like that as they can be used as per deck (deckfxreturn1-8 as 4 output and deckfxsend 1-8 as input)
... interesting, with splitted stems, to route rhythm instru vocal to independant output as well as external fx / mix / 4 track recording
1234-5678 1+5 ; rhythmfx 2+6 ==> bassfx 3; 3+7 ==> instrufx ; 4+8 = vocalfx ===> 4 tracks external mixer/ fx rack ==> master output
(not tested yet, just an idea)

See this is a thinking mind instead of trying to prove someone wrong he actually thinking of solutions...Now i dont understand none of what he saying just yet but he is thinking.

geposted Sun 15 Nov 20 @ 8:15 pm
What nicotux is saying has nothing to do with what you are saying.
And we are not trying to prove you wrong. We explained why it can't be done in an easy way
You said above that effects should be treated the same way sound engineers treat them.
I understand your point. But 95% of DJ's ain't sound engineers. Hell, 80% of DJ's don't understand basic audio routing (that an output of one machine has to go to the input of another)
Now, back to external mixing sound setup:
1) When mixers support fx send/return VirtualDJ does use it Several Rane mixers are mapped this way already
2) You can't ask from a machine to do things that it's not designed to do. As I said above, you may be able to hack it. But the "hack" requires awareness of the situation.

Simple case scenario:
One mixer with 2 channels using External Mixing audio setup.
Let's say that you send effect trailings on both decks.
If both decks are open and you press pause, you get twice loud trailings.
If deck 2 is closed and you close deck 1, you get no effect trailings
You get the "correct" trailings only if you close deck 1 while deck 2 is open. And that's if deck 2 volume is on 100%
And all of the above assume that the mixer SENDS MIDI.
See ? It's a complex situation. It's ok if you choose to work like this for your own needs. But you can't expect the default behavior to be like that.

Do you want a more complex scenario?
Take DDJ-SZ.
It's sending MIDI, and it works with external mixer audio setup. It has 8 output channels (2 per deck)
So, you can hack it to send effect trailings on channels 7+8 (deck 4) as long as you leave volume of deck 4 all the way up and you don't use it.
Now imagine a fellow dj trying to use your setup with your hack... Maybe he wants to use 4 decks ? Or maybe he founds strange that deck 4 is always open and closes it.
You can also hack it by sending trailings on all channels. Now imagine that you mix 3 decks at the same time and you press pause on one of them. You get trailings 3 times loud...
See how complex it gets ?

It can get simple only if the mixer has special channels for that purpose (like Rane that I mentioned above) or a few spare ones that you can re-assign them for other tasks.
There are units for instance that have dedicated channels for sampler. On such units you could send the effect trailings there and make sure the corresponding "sampler" volume is open. But that would also be a hack and "strange" for a user (to have to turn on sampler volume to hear effect trailings)

Currently it's not possible to assign effect send/return routing on units that don't have send/return channels defined.
Perhaps it should be. So that a user can hack any unit and do as he pleases. That's something to consider.
But enabling the send/return to be able to be used with "any" channels won't magically solve the limitations of the devices that don't support send/return.

geposted Sun 15 Nov 20 @ 8:47 pm
Well effects in the DJ set comes directly from a sound engineer thought process. yall say it cant be done and I say it can....stalemate. No matter how you try to say it cant be done I know it can be done. Because it is being done....So im still at they dont want to do it.... and thats their right. I know it may come down to hardware owned by the user but it can be done and available to those who can use it. But like I said I use my controller for gigs and my timecode rig for home practice so Im still able to use it in its current state.

geposted Mon 16 Nov 20 @ 3:42 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)