Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Djay dvs ipad
Djay releases dvs support for iPad ..... Are we going to see an iPad app from Atomix.?... I'm excited to walk into the club this weekend with my iPad and play.

geposted Wed 01 Jun 22 @ 12:02 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
Djay releases dvs support for iPad ..... Are we going to see an iPad app from Atomix.?... I'm excited to walk into the club this weekend with my iPad and play.

I doubt it.
VDJ has always been MacOS and Windows only
djay was born on Apple only, and only later came Windows and Android support - but with less features
That even now means that Stems (or AI as djay calls it) only works on Apple gear for djay pro, whereas it works on both MacOS and Windows on VDJ

geposted Wed 01 Jun 22 @ 12:36 pm
Vdj has always been very innovative with the software, I have been pretty happy with it. Like many , Ive been a dj a long time and started my career carrying crates of records , books of cds, to my first laptop to dj in 2001. Here we are 20 years later and iPads are more powerful and have more storage than some current laptops. But we're still using laptops . Why?

I am going to spin this weekend using the iPad. I hope atomix is looking ahead and decides that creating iPad software is a good idea.

geposted Wed 01 Jun 22 @ 3:39 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :
Here we are 20 years later and iPads are more powerful and have more storage than some current laptops. But we're still using laptops . Why?

Not VirtualDJ related, but there are quite a few reasons why..
  • Controllers support
  • Sound interfaces support
  • Heat management
  • Power management
  • Screen estate/size
  • Intergration with other peripheral devices
  • Intergation with other software

I won't go into full details for how much or less important each of the above reasons are, but you can see that the vast majority is still using laptops not out of being stuborn, but because there are still several limitations when it comes to tablets.

geposted Fri 03 Jun 22 @ 10:35 am
Phantom, I am neither a software engineer nor a computer engineer, Here are some things I would question .
Heat and power management .. there are a few iPad djay apps that are in use and I have not read anything over the last 5 years that has mentioned anyone having an issue with their iPad overheating

Controller support .. again I question If djay has more than a few controllers mapped And dj player pro had midi learning How many controllers can't be mapped

Sound card support Yes I can see it being an issue with some older controllers but there are sound card issues with older controllers and windows 10 and 11

Screen size ? The all in one controllers are using 10 inch screens

Am I saying there aren't challenges Of course I'm not What I'm saying it's being done and honestly from playing with the app this week ... done pretty well

geposted Fri 03 Jun 22 @ 1:00 pm
I'd rather they updated the remote app personally. Despite years of promises it's still not done. Current app is unreliable and looks like something from season one of 24.

geposted Fri 03 Jun 22 @ 1:09 pm
I was just stating why people still prefer laptops.
Not that I'm against tablets (but personally I would still stick to laptops)

Heat management:
Imagine trying to DJ with 4K video. Or imagine playing outside on a sunny day on a Florida beach.
From time to time, even cellphones can get hot by browsing social media and have to throttle down their CPU/GPU. Now imagine a tablet that has to deal with a far more complex application than Facebook, Instagram or TikTok. Overheating is never a good thing when dealing with real time audio..

Power management:
While the last couple of years with USB C a lot of things have changed for the better, there are simply a lot of limitations of how many things you can connect on a USB C port, how much data can travel through it, how much power it can deliver to peripheral devices, and how much power it can draw from it.
Ever heard of tablets discharging while being used while plugged in ? It's the case where CPU and GPU combined demand more power than the PSU can provide.

Controller support:
Whether you like it or not, most controllers these days have complex firmwares. And most controllers require drivers to operate on all OS (including MAC OS)
Unless big manufacturers start releasing drivers that are compatible with iOS or Android, most of your favorite controller's functionality will get lost. You go out, you spend $2K on a brand new DDJ-REV7 and TODAY it won't work with a tablet! So what do you do ? Just map a few buttons to handle basic operation ?
If you spent $2K you want the whole deal! So you switch to a laptop..

Sound interfaces support:
The problem here is to be able to use all available audio channels of a controller / sound interface. Something that a lot of times requires special drivers (see above)
And BTW, I'm pretty sure that the interfaces that have issues with Windows 10/11 can be counted on one hand. That was not what I was saying.

Screen size:
Controllers use 10 inch screens. But a lot of users want bigger screens. Until last year, personally I would not go lower than 17 inch. This year unfortunately I had to buy a 16 inch laptop and that's the lower I will ever get. I would not ever play on a 10 inch screen. Maybe I'm too old now and my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. Or maybe I'm lazy. My main issue is the browser, not the waveforms and all the other stuff. But anyway. The fact that you may feel comfortable on a 10 inch screen doesn't make everyone else comfortable as well.

Can all of the above issues be solved ?
Yes.
Will they eventually get solved ?
Yes
Will everyone start using tablets instead of laptops once these issues get resolved ?
No.
Will everyone use a tablet instead of a laptop in 10-15 years from now ?
Who knows ? I don't think so, but I may be wrong. I can't predict the future.

My point on my original post was that tablets had and still have a lot of limitations for the majority of the users to make a switch on them. My point wasn't that it's not possible or a good idea for those that want to use tablets or can live with their limitations to use them.

That's why "20 years later we still use laptops"
And if I'm not mistaken back in 2002 not even smartphones were a thing :P

I hope it's clear now what I meant...

geposted Fri 03 Jun 22 @ 2:04 pm
Phantom thank you for the clarification..

Your points about 4 k video and Hot sun are valid

Yes many of the new controllers are very complex

Yes we are getting older and it's definitely harder to see smaller screens !!!

And 20 years ago I had a Motorola flip phone :)

My point through all of this .... the iPad is a viable option for dj's to play music . And it seems that djay has done a decent job with it But as innovative as atomix has been , I feel they can design an app that would be even better

geposted Fri 03 Jun 22 @ 3:26 pm
I did express my own personal opinions above.
Nothing more, nothing less.
That's why I said "not VirtualDJ related" :P

So, don't take my words as an official Atomix response. :)

geposted Fri 03 Jun 22 @ 5:56 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I'd rather they updated the remote app personally. Despite years of promises it's still not done. Current app is unreliable and looks like something from season one of 24.

ME TOO!!! Hasn't been touched in years!! At least an updated skin that uses stems and such.....

geposted Sat 04 Jun 22 @ 3:32 pm