Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Echo Out workflow with StemsFX
Hi all,

Just updated to VDJ 2023 and I'm updating a bunch of my scripts to take advantage of stems.

Let me explain what I'd like to do and then the roadblock I'm running into.

I've mapped a button to activate Echo Out on the "Melody" stem. This drops out the music but keeps the vocal and drums of a song. So I use this to mix in the new record on the other deck, but at the end, I'd now like to do an ADDITIONAL echo out on the remaining stems (Vocal + Drums) to end the first track.

So the problem becomes that I'm trying to stack the same effect twice, complicated by the fact that StemFX is active on a different set of stems.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

The only thought I had was perhaps after the first Echo Out has decayed, a script could just turn off stem Melody and turn off the Echo Out effect, thus freeing it for use the second time.

Any thoughts?

geposted Mon 05 Dec 22 @ 2:18 am
I think I've come up with a workable solution.

When I load a track I set a variable to 0.

Then on the first "Echo Out" effect script I set that variable to 1 (when I hold down shift with the button it mutes the vocal track so then I change the variable to 2).

Then on the second echo button, I turn off Echo Out, turn off StemFX, and test for that variable. If it's 1 I mute_stem "Melody", if it's 2 I mute_stem "Vocal" then re-activate Echo Out.

geposted Mon 05 Dec 22 @ 2:49 am
I have the same desire, can you share the fully written script?

geposted Mon 05 Dec 22 @ 11:00 am
It's a bit complicated because it's bunched up in with a whole lot of other scripts, and your triggers will be different because this is for the Numark NS6-II but try it out and let me know if it works.

ONLOAD:
load & set_var "StemEcho" 0

PLAY
play_pause & effect "Echo Out" off & effect_disable_all & set_var "StemEcho" 0

FX_2_ON
padfx_single "echo out" 70% 1bt "stemfx:Melody" & set_var "StemEcho" 1

SHIFT_FX_2_ON
padfx_single "echo out" 70% 1bt "stemfx:Vocal" & set_var "StemEcho" 2

FX_1_ON
effect_active 'Echo Out' off & effect_stems off & effect 'Echo' active & var_equal "StemEcho" 1 ? mute_stem "Melody" : & var_equal "StemEcho" 2 ? mute_stem "Vocal" : nothing

geposted Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 1:35 am
Thank you very much, I will definitely try it tonight and let you know how it went ♥

geposted Thu 08 Dec 22 @ 7:11 am
Thanks for your help, I fixed a few inaccuracies and everything works ;)

My version is:

ONLOAD:

load & set_var "StemEcho Out" 0

PLAY BUTTON:

play_pause & effect "Echo Out" off & effect_disable_all & set_var "StemEcho Out" 0

MAKE ACAPELLA (1 ECHO OUT MELODY AND RHYTHM):

padfx_single "Echo Out" 80% 1bt "stemfx:MeloRhythm" & set_var "StemEcho Out" 1

MAKE INSTRUMENTAL (1 ECHO OUT ACAPELLA):

padfx_single "Echo Out" 80% 1bt "stemfx:Vocal" & set_var "StemEcho Out" 2

ECHO OUT 2 AFTER FIRST ECHO OUT MELODY AND RHYTH OR FIRST ACAPELLA:

effect_active 'Echo Out' off & effect_stems off & effect 'Echo Out' active & var_equal "StemEcho Out" 1 ? mute_stem "MeloRhythm" : & var_equal "StemEcho Out" 2 ? mute_stem "Vocal" : nothing

geposted Tue 13 Dec 22 @ 8:15 am