Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Virtual DJ incorrectly reading tracks (certain parts of the song are extended only in VDJ)
I'm not sure what's causing this issue, but it makes mixing live nearly impossible.

When Virtual DJ loads a track, sometimes (of course it isn't consistent per track) it will load with a random part of it being slower than the rest of the song.

To further describe this: I will have a song that's at 100BPM, at some random part (the place it happens changes every time you load the track [So the first load, it will happen at 1:24, but the next time you load it, it could happen at 0:56]) it will be something like 98BPM for a second or two (this makes Beat "Anchoring" the track impossible).

I have no idea what's causing this, but it's been happening for about 2.5 years now and I really want this issue resolved. (I've been considering buying the lifetime premium for VDJ but I'm not going to bother if my tracks don't even stay anchored.)

Note: This also happens on my laptop (even when the only thing I had installed was the OS and Virtual DJ [Literally nothing else, not even a 3rd party internet browser])

I have tried:

- Reinstalling Virtual DJ (and clearing all of it's folders, aside from the database and cues [I'm not re-cueing 989 tracks again.])
- Running Virtual DJ and nothing else (aside from required system processes)
- Reinstalling Windows

System Specifications:

CPU: Core i5-10400 @2.90GHz
GPU: NVidia GeForce 1070Ti (8 GB)
RAM: 16 GB DDR5 @2667MHz (2x8 GB modules)
Storage: 1TB M.2 OS Drive / 2TB HDD 7200RPM Music Drive
Soundcards: Razer Man O' War DAC, Blue Yeti DAC (Changes based on what I have plugged in, happens with both cards)

geposted Sat 14 Jan 23 @ 3:58 pm
Under Performance settings in your Options, what's your "maxPreloadLength" set to?

geposted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 3:35 pm
I've had a bit more of a think about this. Is the "Music drive" USB connected? If yes have you done all the things to make sure the USB isn't the issue here (Turn off the Power Management in the USB device in device manager for example)
My suspicion is that from time to time there isn't enough of the song being loaded by the software and in that moment it deals with it best it can with what it's got. To make sure that the data pipe into your computer (and therefore VDJ) isnt being compromised you need to look at how fast your music drive can reliably deliver data to VDJ. This may be a process of trying numerous things until something fixes it.
Somewhat related I had a colleague who had an issue with audio on a specific controller on a specific setup. Eventually we found that the "brand name" "software" that came with her laptop was the problem. She had a Dell laptop and Dell ship their laptops with all kinds of allegedly helpful "software"
When we un-installed all these and made the laptop as generic as possible the problem went away.
I'm not saying that's your problem (it might be?) but these are the kinds of things you might need to look at.

geposted Thu 19 Jan 23 @ 12:34 am
Here's a condensed version of a troubleshooter I wrote for the colleague I mentioned above. Some things wont apply to you because we were chasing down a sound issue however everything else will. Good practice to set all these things anyway. Applies to Win10

Settings - Update & Security
Windows Security
Virus & Threat protection
Under Virus & Threat protection settings select Manage settings
Scroll down to Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions
+ Add an exclusion
Process
virtualdj
Add
+ Add an exclusion
File type
(Do this one for each type of file you have media for. mp3, wav, vob, mp4 etc)

Open Settings, in the search bar type Graphics and select Graphics Settings
Should open to “graphics performance settings”
In the “Choose an app to set preference” browse to where you have Virtualdj installed and select virtualdj.exe and select that

In VDJ you can tweak the amount of “preload” is does with each track. Open the options and type preload into the Search. Try a few diff settings both higher and lower than usual and see. There’s no magic number here

Only happens at the venue? Try turning off WiFi. *NOT* aircraft mode, turn it completely off
Settings - Network and Internet.
Ethernet (on left)
Change adapter settings
(On right)
Opens new window
Select your WiFi network adaptor - right click - disable

In a more general sense we should all rid ourselves of bloatware in Win10. There are many guides and some utilites for this. One guide is here https://www.makeuseof.com/.../easily-remove-bloatware.../

Soundcard stuff

1. Have a look at this article to turn off "Exclusive mode" https://www.sweetwater.com/.../how-to-disable-exclusive.../

2. Check the power settings in your W10 for every single USB instance in the device manager viz:
a. click on the windows start button and start typing Device manager. It should auto-complete. Select it
b. scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Expand that by clicking the >
c. go down the list and do this to every single item you see, noting that some will not show the thing we are looking for
d. select the item and right-click. In the box the opens find the "Power management" tab and select that
e. un-check the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if it is checked, and click OK
f. repeat c-e for each one.

3. Please tell me the soundcard device is directly plugged into the computer and not via a hub.

Finally if at this point you want to wade into the world of ASIO4all... this guide may help https://www.sweetwater.com/.../installing-and-using.../

If you still have problems even with all this and ASIO4all, you might be in the world of USB/Soundcard buffer drain issues, and at this point you'd need to be a programmer to try and chase that down.

geposted Thu 19 Jan 23 @ 12:41 am
As a reply to the "maxPreloadLength" question, it is set to "-1"

As a reply to the "USB Drive" Question, all of my songs are stored on an M.2 SATA.
Although, I HAVE noticed that this issue happens more frequently if I cue to a part of the track that is not yet loaded, so that actually could be the issue, I'll try preloading songs in advance before jumping to cues and see if that helps to resolve the issue. I'll update you on whether this has helped or not.

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate the support! :D

geposted Wed 22 Feb 23 @ 9:20 am