Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Where can I find Pad FX details?
I'm playing with the pad fx and trying to adjust the parameters with no success.
Is there a list of pad fx and/or changeable parameters listed somewhere?

For instance, I use the ECHO OUT fx a lot and want to change the duration/beat count etc.

If I knew all the pad fx available I could change things up a bit when mixing with stems!

TIA

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 12:41 pm
VDJ Rob G wrote :
I'm playing with the pad fx and trying to adjust the parameters with no success.
Is there a list of pad fx and/or changeable parameters listed somewhere?

For instance, I use the ECHO OUT fx a lot and want to change the duration/beat count etc.

If I knew all the pad fx available I could change things up a bit when mixing with stems!

TIA

The padfx and the regular fx are the same
So simply select echo out in a regular fx slot, and click the plus next to it, to get a window with all it's options

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 3:40 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
All params are adjustable but you must include a value for previous params
eg

padfx "echo out" 0.1 0.75
that will set strength to 0.1 & length dial to 0.75, which translates to 1 beat

length has a slight difference to other params, it's a dial so it can take a dial value, but it can also take a beat value so you can do this

padfx "echo out" 4bt

when the script engine sees
padfx "echo out" 0.1 0.75 0.3

it just reads the params off and applies them in order

I keep meaning to do a script school on padfx but, I don't use it really, I see its use saving typing, but I'm just happy with the older longer effect_button/effect_slider/effect_beats/effect_active

My opinion padfx is missing a feature, a NULL value so that it just uses whatever that dial is at, at the time. That would be more dynamic.
[prehaps even ` ` actions as params too, ]

@devs

padfx "echo out" 4bt 0.2
is ^that^ a bug? there's enough information for the intention but it effects the length dial twice

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 3:40 pm
I don't seem to have ECHO OUT as a regular FX, just ECHO...

I am able to use pad editor to customise pads using effect_active 'fxname', but ECHO OUT is not there.

ECHO OUT is available as a PADFX option...

I have downloaded some of the pad extensions so I can copy some of the code eg FX Fade (DJ-In-Norway), but I'm not proficient enough to code fades on regular effects.

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 4:51 pm
install echo out then :), I can't remember if was forced into fx list or if it was opt in, but you should check out the fx install page, you might have missed a few recent additions.

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 5:09 pm
fades I can talk you thru give me an example of what you want.

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 5:11 pm
DOH!!! Hahahaha, thanks!

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 5:12 pm
This is the code from the Pads FX Fade for a HP filter decaying over 8 beats...

var 'fxFadeHP' 1 ? repeat_start_instant 'fxFadeHP' ? blink 500ms & repeat_stop 'fxFadeHP' & effect_active 'Filter HP' off & set 'fxFadeHP' 0 : blink 500ms & effect_active 'Filter HP' off & set 'fxFadeHP' 0 : set 'fxFadeHP' 1 & set 'fxFadeStepsHP' 0 & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 0 & effect_active 'filter hp' on & set 'beatMS' `get_bpm & param_1_x & param_multiply 60000` & param_multiply 0.25 &param_cast 'ms' & repeat_start_instant 'fxFadeHP' & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 +0.03125 & cycle 'fxFadeStepsHP' 32 & var 'fxFadeStepsHP' 0 ? off & repeat_stop 'fxFadeHP'

If I could understood this I could replicate any FX to fade out...

Although this is not a 'beat' effect like echo, it does fade in 8 beats. I also like the fact that it blinks while active. I have been confused on occaision by an effect 'finishing' but remaining active so there is unexpected gaps in music when I'm using stems.

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 5:36 pm
...another 'would like to have' is the option to either a) switch off the effect and return to playing song after 8 beats, or b) remain silent without stopping the track until the FX is manually stopped.
Used with stems this would be an awesome mix tool!

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 5:49 pm
OLD
var 'fxFadeHP' 1 ? repeat_start_instant 'fxFadeHP' ? blink 500ms & repeat_stop 'fxFadeHP' & effect_active 'Filter HP' off & set 'fxFadeHP' 0 : blink 500ms & effect_active 'Filter HP' off & set 'fxFadeHP' 0 : set 'fxFadeHP' 1 & set 'fxFadeStepsHP' 0 & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 0 & effect_active 'filter hp' on & set 'beatMS' `get_bpm & param_1_x & param_multiply 60000` & param_multiply 0.25 & param_cast 'ms' & repeat_start_instant 'fxFadeHP' & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 +0.03125 & cycle 'fxFadeStepsHP' 32 & var 'fxFadeStepsHP' 0 ? off & repeat_stop 'fxFadeHP' 

I was going to break it down but, there better ways now

BETTER *edited*
var 'fxFadeHP' 1 ? blink 500ms & effect_active 'Filter HP' off & set 'fxFadeHP' 0 & repeat_stop 'fxFadeHP' : 
set 'fxFadeHP' 1 & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 0 & effect_active 'filter hp' on & repeat_start_instant 'fxFadeHP' 1bt 33 & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 +0.0303

I'd do that^
is our [running] variable set to 1 ? yes blink while it is, if button press turn everything off

running variable is off, case from a fresh start
turn our running variable on,
set our fx dial to zero & set effect_active
make our rsi, once a beat, 33 times [rune made a mistake using 32 with rsi, instant would be 33 repeats] every repeat it nudges the slider up

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 6:27 pm
As for your other thing you could do it like this

doubleclick ? ( var autoReturn 1 ? repeat_start rsiCatchHP 50ms & repeat_start_instant 'fxFadeHP' ? : repeat_stop rsiCatchHP & wait 8bt & effect_active 'Filter HP' off : ) & 
var 'fxFadeHP' 1 ? blink 500ms & effect_active 'Filter HP' off & set 'fxFadeHP' 0 & repeat_stop 'fxFadeHP' :
set 'fxFadeHP' 1 & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 0 & effect_active 'filter hp' on & repeat_start_instant 'fxFadeHP' 1bt 33 & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 +0.0303 :
( var autoReturn 1 ? blink 200ms : ) & repeat_start_instant 'fxFadeHP' ? effect_active 'Filter HP' off & set 'fxFadeHP' 0 & repeat_stop rsiCatchHP : toggle autoReturn & var autoReturn 1 ? blink 200ms :

confusing but it does this,
from off state single press toggles the over run by 8 option, [fast blink means its on]
all cases doubleclick makes the fading happen
from on state single press turns fading off

complicated doing so much with 1 button but not impossible

geposted Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 7:22 pm
Thanks for your code, I shall try it ASAP!
Might it be a better option to toggle a different pad for the behaviour after the fade out?
eg mute stem until effect is switched off (continue blinking while effect is active/on)
...toggled with... switch off effect after complete and slip back into track

geposted Tue 20 Jun 23 @ 12:47 pm
LOOP OUT has 3 buttons, STOP, SLIP and VIDEO.
ECHO OUT has no buttons.

When ECHO OUT has faded out, it remains active so the stem (or whole track if stem FX is not selected) also remains silent until the effect is de-activated. Ideally I would like the pad or button to remain flashing to show its still active and affecting the stem (or track) output.

This is not available as a feature on LOOP OUT. If I could emulate that then it would be great!

The SLIP button on LOOP OUT is handy, as is the STOP button. However, if I select STOP whilst applying the FX to a single stem, it stops the whole track, not just the stem with active FX. I can accept that this is probably a limitation of the way stem FX work, but it would be good to be able to MUTE the stem after the loop out has completed... also with an indicator that its still active!

I hope this is making more sense...

geposted Tue 20 Jun 23 @ 2:01 pm
if you want a stop/mute on a stem then don't use loop out, use echo out

geposted Tue 20 Jun 23 @ 6:55 pm
I’m having an issue with the pad fx with my DDJ-800. For example if I’m using any one of the pad fx echo outs on the fx pads on the controller it plays the effect at only 50% intensity.

Now if I go and I manually select echo on one of the three effect selectors on the deck screen in the software I can turn it up to say 90 percent click echo on the screen with my mouse and get it at that level. But as soon as I hit the fx pad echo it plays it at 50% is there a place somewhere to turn the level of the pad firing echo up. All the other pad effect play at a good level. Just echo plays at 50%.

geposted Wed 21 Jun 23 @ 4:40 am
Change padfx to effect_active 'echo out' by using the pad editior. If you do not put in any parameters it will use the current settings in the effects bank. This way you can change the pad response to match and change as you want

geposted Wed 21 Jun 23 @ 7:41 am
VDJ Rob G wrote :
Change padfx to effect_active 'echo out' by using the pad editior. If you do not put in any parameters it will use the current settings in the effects bank. This way you can change the pad response to match and change as you want

That is true, but basically the opposite of the standard for pad fx

The idea with pad fxs is that they sound the same every time you press the pad. That's why the padfx action was introduced instead of always using the old script (effect_active)
Because then you can do all the settings as part of the triggering, so the pad does the exact same every time you trigger it AND the settings go back to their previous state after you stop the pad fx

So it's generally a better ide to change the settings inside the padfx script if possible

geposted Wed 21 Jun 23 @ 12:34 pm
Does padfx work the same as effect_active?

geposted Wed 21 Jun 23 @ 12:49 pm
VDJ Rob G wrote :
Does padfx work the same as effect_active?

No, not exactly

effect_active starts or stops the named effect (or found by position) with it's current settings

padfx starts or stops the named fx with the settings included in the script - and sets them back when you stop it again
So for instance
padfx 'echo out' 50% 1bt 55% 15%
will turn on echo out with 50% feedback, 1bt in loop length, a bit of coloring (filter) and a bit of reverb
- so the same settings/sound every time you use it, regardless of your current fx settings. Basically you don't need to worry about the fx settings, which is often what you want on a pad because there may be no easily available place to change those settings on the controller that has the pads
And then it sets the settings back when you turn it off again

geposted Wed 21 Jun 23 @ 1:13 pm