Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Parsing issue with Artist & Title when using Platinum Notes
I started using Platinum Notes in January as it was a Christmas gift.

After a few weeks, I decided to change the color of the Platinum Notes processed files so it would be easy to see them using the quick Color Filters. I then noticed that not all processed files were changing color, very puzzling. Those that are not changing color also do not have the letters _PN at the end of the Title even though they are part of the filename and should be copied into the Artist & Title fields.

After investigating today I have found out why it is happening. The files not changing color have a common denominator, it's because of the use of brackets () i.e. (extended) (remix version) etc. see pic below. I tried square brackets too with the same result. []

geposted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 6:55 pm
djles.co.uk wrote :
Those that are not changing color also do not have the letters _PN at the end of the Title even though they are part of the filename and should be copied into the Artist & Title fields.

Interesting stuff, Les..

and as you say the filename does have the _PN.

so a workaround would be to set/change, the Color filter to something like:

File Name contains _PN

feel that could work more reliably.

geposted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 7:22 pm
i would try

if you look in the tag editor the title doesn't have the _pn you specify on all the files

geposted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 7:24 pm
needs "contains"... logic.. to work.

for some reason, the filter logic is seeing the "end" as mp3
(since, guess mp3 is the end of the file)

OR

seems to use "ends with"
one would need, ends with _PN.mp3 and then OR logic to add each of the other file types (flac, mp4 etc, ogg)

geposted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 7:32 pm
@wickedmix When Platinum Notes has processed a file it adds _PN to the end of the filename before the .mp3 to distinguish it from non-processed files as it always creates a new file and does not affect the original.

All the files in white in the browser have got _PN after the Title in the filename but were not being transferred to the Title field in the Tag Editor.

@IIDEEJAYII that ends with _PN.mp3 logic works, although it should work with the Title field. It seems to be a programming error. Its all my years doing COBOL, BASIC & Assembly Language in the distant past at Uni. But, this is a workaround for now. Oh, incidentally Platinum Notes does not work with video mp4 files, I was a bit disappointed with that as I have over 10k music videos.

Notice the ones with brackets don't have PN at the end as the Tag Editor is not transferring the info from the filename into the Title field.

geposted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 9:11 pm
djles.co.uk wrote :
@wickedmix When Platinum Notes has processed a file it adds _PN to the end of the filename before the .mp3 to distinguish it from non-processed files as it always creates a new file and does not affect the original.

that's right but platinum notes does not add _pn to the title tag i have been using it for years. it only changes the end of the file name so the title in the actual tag does not contain that unless you add it there yourself :-)

also it could be some of your files tag info got parsed from the file name by VDJ and it probably adds the _pn to the tag

anyways i'm sure you will enjoy platinum notes as i have :-)

geposted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 10:38 pm
Nope, as I stated above Platinum Notes adds _PN to the end of the filename before the .mp3. Then in the Tag Editor, there is a Dot between Artist and Title on the left and Remix and Album on the right of the screen. There is a command there to Get Artist/Title from filename which is what I have used for years. But, it is not transferring the _PN on files with () brackets as in the bottom picture.

geposted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 10:57 pm
Your issue derives from the fact that you try to parse filename to "Artist/Title"
VirtualDJ tries as best as it can to "guess" the data. So, it extracts Artist (before the dash - ) and puts the rest as Title when there's no remix tag. That why you get "Artist" and "Title PN" on tracks that don't have remix.

However, when tracks DO have remix VirtualDJ cannot simply "guess" what you want it to do.
It still extracts "Artist" before the dash (-)
Then it looks forward until it meets the parentheses. ()
It uses that part for Title, and what's inside parentheses for Remix.
It ignores PN (that's after parentheses) because it cannot tell/guess what info is that.

So, it's definitely not a bug, nor a wrong programming logic.
-Can it be improved ?
-Yes, if the code was changed to allow you to specify filename templates so that VirtualDJ knows how to parse the files and what to expect.

However, due to the nature of what you're doing, the 100% correct way is to check the filename. Since that's what Platinum Notes modify.
So, that's the first step in chain, and that's the most reliable way to capture the condition you want. Even if you could parse the file data correctly..

If you have developer background knowledge, then you understand what I mean! :)

geposted Fri 28 Jul 23 @ 12:38 pm
It's OK George, the PN after parenthesis is not a big deal just something I noticed.

The main thing for me is that IIDEEJAYII came up with the Color Filter logic ends with _PN.mp3 I tried that and it works as shown above. It's useful for me to update playlists with Platinum Notes processed files. Thanks for your explanation, I now understand how the parsing works for this.
Cheers.

geposted Fri 28 Jul 23 @ 6:58 pm