Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Reverse / censor quantized
On my LC6000 I have the censor function, which is in fact a temporary reverse.

It's always a bit tricky to activate it at the right moment, for example to create a reverse effect just before a drop.

Is there a way to quantize the reverse so that it automatically matches the nearest beat when the button is pressed?

geposted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 12:32 pm
Can totally relate to this issue. I hope someone has a solution, if not it would be a great feature request.

I will say though, these days I have changed the option "censor type" to "mute vocal" and it results in a cleaner sound.

geposted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 11:40 pm
Quantize would not help.
There's just a "trick" you need to learn on how to use Censor/Dump/Slip Reverse:
Since the track starts going backwards, the beat also goes backwards and has reverse timing.
This means that your best chance to make it sound tight, is to press the button right in the middle between 2 beats, and also release it in the middle, rather than ON beat as you would do with most actions (and what quantize would also do)

geposted Wed 13 Dec 23 @ 7:06 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Quantize would not help.
There's just a "trick" you need to learn on how to use Censor/Dump/Slip Reverse:
Since the track starts going backwards, the beat also goes backwards and has reverse timing.
This means that your best chance to make it sound tight, is to press the button right in the middle between 2 beats, and also release it in the middle, rather than ON beat as you would do with most actions (and what quantize would also do)

Thinking about it logically and you're right. The catch is that the vocal you're censoring must fall in that range, if it is on the beat then you'll miss your censor, or censor too long, which defeats the whole point

geposted Wed 13 Dec 23 @ 9:08 pm
Well, if you know anything about singing, 99 out of 100 times vocal phrases/verses do not start ON beat.
Usually they are half beat early/late, or they may be a quarter of the beat early/late.
But ON beat.. Very rare!
Anyway, the main point here is that quantizing "censor" ON the beat wouldn't make it sound better.

geposted Thu 14 Dec 23 @ 8:16 am
I've just seen that dumb is now quantized on b7847 when quantize_all is active. It works like a charm for what I want. I don't generally use dumb to censor a vocal part but to create a reverse playback effect in my house mixes just before a drop.

Now it's impossible to miss this effect!

Thanks to the developers who are always ready to listen to the community.

geposted Mon 18 Dec 23 @ 8:33 pm
Yes, we did our magic to make it "quantize" the best way possible! :)

geposted Tue 19 Dec 23 @ 8:13 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Yes, we did our magic to make it "quantize" the best way possible! :)

It's just perfect !

geposted Tue 19 Dec 23 @ 12:57 pm