Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Sudden loss of control on decks that start playing the track backwards
This has been twice during a mixing session that one of my decks has suddenly started playing backwards. Two days ago it was deck 2 and last night the problem appeared on deck 1.

During these sessions I was on 2 SC6000M decks to control VDJ.

I started by trying to unplug the USB cable, to see if it will stop the reverse playback on the deck. It was not the case. I tried several times to stop the track whether with the pause button, the cue button or even with the mouse on the screen, loading another track nothing worked

I first thought that this was a behavior linked to a loss of connection with the decks. So I turned off and then restarted the affected Sc6000M. VDJ immediately recognized the sc6000M but the buggy deck still continued to read backwards.

Note that the Sc6000M could control any other deck without problems but no longer had any control over the deck which read backwards

And even unplugged or turned off, it's impossible to stop the deck with the mouse. The only solution was to close and then restart VDJ. This was also the case last time.

I'm on v2024 b8000.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

Edit :

I would like to point out that each time this bug appeared Reverse /censor was not activated. It was in full reading without any particular manipulation.

And reverse playback was slow and choppy on the failed deck

geposted Wed 20 Mar 24 @ 9:21 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Not sure what went wrong, but next time try SHIFT+CENSOR to return to normal play direction.

geposted Thu 21 Mar 24 @ 9:50 am
I don't think it has anything to do with the dump /reverse/censor function being engaged by mistake or something like that because if that had been the case the track would have played backwards but at normal speed.

During the two moments where this happened to me each time the track started to play backwards but very slowly, as if the speed was at -50% and no control of the deck was responding, neither by the mouse / keyboard, nor by the SC6000M (whether it is plugged or unplugged).

The strangest thing is that the other 3 decks worked perfectly

I'll take a video if this happens next time.

geposted Thu 21 Mar 24 @ 1:09 pm
The problem reappeared again today during a short mix session at home about 15 minutes into my session. (v2024. b8044)

But this time I recorded a video that I uploaded to wetransfer:

https://we.tl/t-0r5OPHW9pQ

The problem first appeared on deck B which started to desynchronise in the middle of the mix with deck A. I tried to stop the track and deck B kept spinning backwards.

Note that no sound comes out when the deck spins backwards, even in the middle of the song I can restart playback but the track seems to slow down and doesn't play at the speed it should normally.

I can navigate through the hotcues but I can't stop the deck in question.

I've tried ejecting the track from the deck, and loading another one. It doesn't matter which track I load on it, it just spins backwards by itself.....

I then decided to continue mixing by switching to Deck D by changing the layer on the SC6000M, I was able to mix for a little over an hour and suddenly Deck D started to cause the same problem.

I didn't have any problems on the left-hand decks.

there is clearly a problem in the latest version of Virtual DJ with the SC6000M

Last time it happened on my desktop PC (i7 4790k, 32 GB ram, GTX 1080 8 Gb) with the sc6000M and a Z2 mixer and this time it happened on my laptop (i5 12450h, 16GB Ram, RTX 4060) with a pioneer mixer.

Two configurations, two times the same problem, the only thing in common are the SC6000Ms. I've only tested with the LC6000 and so far I haven't encountered this problem.

One thing's for sure, it's impossible to use virtual DJ with my SC6000Ms for gigs.

I was hoping to use them for a performance at a wedding on 20 April but now it seems compromised. If two decks drop me in less than two hours and start spinning upside down for some unknown reason, I'll have to consider another solution.

geposted Thu 28 Mar 24 @ 9:50 pm
Ian Wild wrote :
I'll have to consider another solution.

Well they ARE standalone players, so you could use them that way. :-)

geposted Fri 29 Mar 24 @ 1:53 pm
It's not very clear from the video, but i think i see the CENSOR button turned on on the SC6000M ?

Anyways, try to map 2 custom buttons on your Skin as .. reverse and dump and next time, see if any of these is turned on. Then try to click and turn off.

geposted Fri 29 Mar 24 @ 2:15 pm
@GroovinDJ

I know they're standalone players but you can't use stems in standalone mode, which is why I love using them with virtual DJ because they're amazing for stems.

@DJDAD

It has nothing to do with censor/reverse/dump which was off when I made the video.

If the problem was censor/reverse, you would have heard the sound when the track was running backwards, and that wouldn't have stopped the deck from being stopped. What's more, when I pressed play, the track moved forward but slowed down. If censor / reverse or dump had been engaged the track would have started towards the back when I support on play. I tried well to engage and disengage censor and ca change nothing all

I think I've found the problem, I'm using a Reloop USB stand for my laptop which acts as a USB hub. I had previously connected two SC6000Ms to the USB stand and the USB stand was connected to a single USB 3.0 port on my laptop.

I disconnected the SC6000M's USB connection from the USB stand and plugged it directly into the second USB port on my laptop. I did a two hour session and no more problems.

I think that when I connect the two sc6000M on the USB stand and that everything passes only on the same USB port of the laptop there is at the end of a moment a saturation of the USB bandwidth what causes the bug on the decks which must lose the connection and start for some reason to suddenly turn in the opposite direction.

I've also noticed that the waveform scrolling is much smoother on the SC6000M screens when each one is plugged into a dedicated USB port on the laptop.

I also received a new update for virtual DJ today before doing my mixing session so maybe that has something to do with it too I wouldn't know.

geposted Fri 29 Mar 24 @ 3:35 pm
Interesting finding, and No, has nothing to do with the VDJ updates

geposted Fri 29 Mar 24 @ 4:32 pm
I'm not an expert but my theory is that the SC6000M screens must be very greedy in terms of USB bandwidth usage. Knowing that in general I also connect the mixer that I use, whether it is the pioneer or the z2 on the Reloop Stand Hub, this must create a very large data flow on a single USB 3.0 port on the laptop. I should try using the laptop's USB-C port rather than the USB 3.0 port to see if I also encounter the problem if everything is plugged into USB-C.

I think this explains why I don't encounter a problem with 2 LC6000s instead of the sc6000M because the lc6000s do not have a screen and must therefore be much less demanding in the use of USB bandwidth.

That said, I can't explain why when VDJ loses connection on a deck, it goes into perpetual backward reading. It's as if the last information it received from the deck before "failing" was to read backwards and it got stuck on that command. Because even with the mouse it is impossible to stop the deck on the screen.

Only the closure and reopening of VDJ allows things to return to normal when this happens.

I noticed that the reloop stand hub has a usb-C port at the very bottom which seems intended for additional power. It's true that I don't use additional power on this port since each device connected to the hub has its own power supply.

Could the problem come from there?

geposted Fri 29 Mar 24 @ 6:22 pm
agadj2PRO InfinityMember since 2021
I have been experimenting same issue for a minimun one mouth maybe two, and in my case is player 1 ever who, play rewing to the end. never solve it without restarting controller and program,
in this two mounts maybe apperas 6-8 times....
So i was thinking the guilty was myself, somthing wrong mapped i.e.
after see this post i sure 100% that is my case.
My tecnical english understanding is so limited , later will read this post few times to get clear what about usb ports and be alerted to pay attention to things around to try bring some detailed situation,
oubt and try to be ready as quicl
about olders cases when i see this issue don´t stop, try to be ready as soon y can

is so extrangue if only are you & i with this issue,
laptop msi summit i7 13aG 32ram 1thd gtx4050.
regards!! and lucky to be affected minimun by this extrangue issue

Pioneer DDJ FLX-10

geposted Fri 05 Apr 24 @ 7:26 am
Well I thought I found the solution by connecting one of the two SC6000Ms directly to the second USB port on my computer, the problem occurs less often, but still occurs.

This happens exclusively on the right deck but it's really very random.

I made a mix a few days ago and I was able to DJ for 3 hours without the slightest problem.

Then the next day the problem appeared twice in 2 hours.

I rack my brain in every direction to try to understand what could be happening and causing something in the chain to be a problem.

I tested with different USB cables and it made no difference but I haven't tried going through the laptop's USB-C port. If the problem arises from some sort of USB bandwidth saturation, perhaps USB-C can be an answer here as it seems to me that it has a higher theoretical throughput than USB 3.0. I'll try to do some testing this weekend.

The only thing I noticed is that this often happens in the middle of the mix during a transition between two tracks and this causes a sudden desynchronization of the tracks which were perfectly synchronized until then. The reading speed of the problematic deck suddenly slows down and if I try to stop reading, the deck starts spinning backwards without being able to be stopped in any way, either by the mouse or by a button. midi, nor by a keyboard shortcut.

Shift +Censor obviously has no effect, which is normal because it wasn't activated anyway.

I tried to unload the track from the deck with shift+eject but as soon as I load any other track it starts spinning backwards instead of waiting for playback to start as is the case. case normally.

geposted Sat 06 Apr 24 @ 10:18 am
You say it happens on the right deck. Is that the right SC6000 or the right deck of VDJ?

Did you try swapping the 6000s over physically, put the right one on the left, left on the right and have them control different VDJ decks? Swap the USB ports too.

Did you try with other DJ software?

geposted Sat 06 Apr 24 @ 5:49 pm
groovindj wrote :
You say it happens on the right deck. Is that the right SC6000 or the right deck of VDJ?

Did you try swapping the 6000s over physically, put the right one on the left, left on the right and have them control different VDJ decks? Swap the USB ports too.

I tried the USB cables from my LC6000 instead of the USB cables from the sc6000 but I didn't see any difference, on certain sessions it can work without problems for hours and on other sessions it can do it for me 2 or 3 times over 2 hours of mixing.

I have a sc6000M on the left which controls decks A & C and a SC6000M on the right which controls decks B & D. I can switch from one deck to another on each deck using the layer button but generally I only works on two decks at the same time, A on the left SC6000M and B on the right Sc6000M.

The problem systematically occurs on Deck B.

In this case, as I no longer have any control over Deck B without closing and re-opening VDJ, I have to switch control of the right SC6000M to deck D and it works very well on deck D.... . for a random duration because the problem ends up occurring on deck D sooner or later.

I admit that I have not tried to physically swap the two left and right decks, nor even to check deck B on the left deck and deck A on the right deck to see if it is linked to the turntables, but I'll try.

I was only able to try with VDJ and traktor but the case of traktor is quite special with the SC6000M because they are not natively supported by traktor, so it is just a midi mapping. And the screens don't work with traktor.

I can't try with serato since I don't have a serato license or any hardware that unlocks serato.

And rekordbox is only compatible with pioneer, so VDJ is my partner of choice for the perfect integration of these decks... when it works....

geposted Sat 06 Apr 24 @ 7:51 pm
Ian Wild wrote :
groovindj wrote :

I tried the USB cables from my LC6000 instead of the USB cables from the sc6000 but I didn't see any difference, on certain sessions it can work without problems for hours and on other sessions it can do it for me 2 or 3 times over 2 hours of mixing.

I have a sc6000M on the left which controls decks A & C and a SC6000M on the right which controls decks B & D. I can switch from one deck to another on each deck using the layer button but generally I only works on two decks at the same time, A on the left SC6000M and B on the right Sc6000M.

The problem systematically occurs on Deck B.

In this case, as I no longer have any control over Deck B without closing and re-opening VDJ, I have to switch control of the right SC6000M to deck D and it works very well on deck D.... . for a random duration because the problem ends up occurring on deck D sooner or later.

I admit that I have not tried to physically swap the two left and right decks, nor even to check deck B on the left deck and deck A on the right deck to see if it is linked to the turntables, but I'll try.

I was only able to try with VDJ and traktor but the case of traktor is quite special with the SC6000M because they are not natively supported by traktor, so it is just a midi mapping. And the screens don't work with traktor.

I can't try with serato since I don't have a serato license or any hardware that unlocks serato.

And rekordbox is only compatible with pioneer, so VDJ is my partner of choice for the perfect integration of these decks... when it works....

Hi friends, setp by step explanation you did it´s what happend to me , only difference is deck affected...my was deck 1 and yours deck 2, and yes no eject no stop and other deck of the courrespondent side , left for me and right for you ..works normally...
this last apretitation bring me an idea...so don´t resolve what i think will be a bug...
maybe can program custom button to copy or save deck settings...don´t remember now but after go to see it ...
regards

geposted Mon 08 Apr 24 @ 12:29 pm
As Groovindj suggested, my first test would be try to physically swap over the decks to see if the problem follows the actual deck or whether it remains on deck B with VDJ itself.
So that mean the currently affected deck would then be controlling deck A on VDJ, should the problem then appear on Deck A you can be confident that the problem is the denon deck itself.

Another test you can try is to simply download a HID monitor (something like this https://ioninja.com/plugins/hid-monitor.html) and that way you'll be able to see if there is any response from the buttons on the deck when the issue happens. HID monitor works regardless if VDJ is running or not.

geposted Mon 08 Apr 24 @ 3:23 pm
Mr DJ Mel wrote :
As Groovindj suggested, my first test would be try to physically swap over the decks to see if the problem follows the actual deck or whether it remains on deck B with VDJ itself.
So that mean the currently affected deck would then be controlling deck A on VDJ, should the problem then appear on Deck A you can be confident that the problem is the denon deck itself.

Another test you can try is to simply download a HID monitor (something like this https://ioninja.com/plugins/hid-monitor.html) and that way you'll be able to see if there is any response from the buttons on the deck when the issue happens. HID monitor works regardless if VDJ is running or not.

I haven't yet tried to do a session by physically swapping the two decks.

However, I can provide some information regarding what you have just written.

In reality when the problem occurs, the controls of the deck with Deck B still work, the pitch, the hot cues, the transport buttons and even the touch display work. In fact most of the controls including the motorized platter work. But for some reason it is impossible to stop the deck from perpetually spinning backwards.

I can put it on playback but it does not play at normal speed. When I press Cue the track should stop. And it perpetually turns backwards. It's literally as if deck B received a phantom command to continually move the board backwards and it remained stuck on this command. We can clearly see in the video that I posted above that when I Trying to press Cue the deck won't stop.

If it was related to hardware I should immediately have the same phenomenon when I switch to Deck D with this same deck.

But I can sometimes play more than an hour and a half on Deck D before it presents the same problem in its turn. Sometimes it's less, sometimes it's more, sometimes no problem at all.... It's very random.

I will still do the test of reversing the two decks to see if I have this problem on deck A as soon as I have a moment....

For now it remains an enigma...

geposted Mon 08 Apr 24 @ 10:36 pm
hi again, maybe can active create midi log for get some information...
bye

geposted Wed 10 Apr 24 @ 8:22 am
Hello DJs!

So I've got some news about this little issue,

I've found out what was causing it, at least in part....

It turns out that this feedback is due to the pitch bend - function which sometimes remains engaged after manipulating this button (it's true that I use the pitch bend + /- buttons a lot).

This explains why the track slows down, why there's no sound when the track plays backwards, and why it's impossible to stop the deck.

In fact, you can do exactly the same thing by loading any track and holding down the pitch bend button.

However, I haven't yet been able to identify whether this is due to a bug in the software, which for some reason sometimes remembers the action of the button pressed previously, or whether it's a problem of physical contact with my pitch bend button on this player.

If it was a problem of physical contact with the buttons I should also have the problem in standalone mode on Engine OS, but this issue has not yet occurred in standalone mode on this player. But I'll keep an eye on it.

I've looked at the video I sent and you can see that pitch bend - is still on on the VDJ skin and I hadn't noticed that.

Cheers

geposted Wed 17 Apr 24 @ 12:13 pm
Ian Wild wrote :
This has been twice during a mixing session that one of my decks has suddenly started playing backwards. Two days ago it was deck 2 and last night the problem appeared on deck 1.

During these sessions I was on 2 SC6000M decks to control VDJ.

I started by trying to unplug the USB cable, to see if it will stop the reverse playback on the deck. It was not the case. I tried several times to stop the track whether with the pause button, the cue button or even with the mouse on the screen, loading another track nothing worked

I first thought that this was a behavior linked to a loss of connection with the decks. So I turned off and then restarted the affected Sc6000M. VDJ immediately recognized the sc6000M but the buggy deck still continued to read backwards.

Note that the Sc6000M could control any other deck without problems but no longer had any control over the deck which read backwards

And even unplugged or turned off, it's impossible to stop the deck with the mouse. The only solution was to close and then restart VDJ. This was also the case last time.

I'm on v2024 b8000.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

Edit :

I would like to point out that each time this bug appeared Reverse /censor was not activated. It was in full reading without any particular manipulation.

And reverse playback was slow and choppy on the failed deck

That happened to me with the Rane One at several events in a row

I got rid of the controller , got another one, and decided not to use spinning platters live anymore....
Not an ideal solution, but the panic feeling it caused when it happened in front of a large crowd just as i was opening my set, really turned me to look for a quick and definitive solution

geposted Thu 18 Apr 24 @ 8:56 pm