Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: NS4FX effects buttons
I have a ns4fx running with the latest VDJ. The 6 effects buttons on the controller do not work properly when I try to change the effect in VDJ. If I change any of the 6 buttons to another effect in VDJ, the effect changes back to whatever is labeled on the controller. For example, if I change the HPF effect button to delay in VDJ, and select the HPF button on the controller, it changes it back to HPF from delay. I also noticed in VDJ as I select different effects on the controller, it only changes the top left effect(slot 1) in VDJ, it never does anything to 2-6 effects in VDJ. It doesnt matter which one I choose on the controller, it only changes the first effect in VDJ.
Am I missing something? I have 2 other controllers and do not have this issue at all with either.
Thanks in advance,

geposted Fri 19 Apr 24 @ 1:24 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Best way is to change the Effect in the Mapping.

E.g. to replace Filter HP with Delay, you need to edit the keys FX_HP and LED_FX_HP and replace all the "Filter HP" texts with "Delay"

The default Mapping was made to apply a single FX, that's why all keys are using the same Single (1st) FX slot. Will check if can be done differently, can't recall if there was some firmware limitation, but i think it was the silkscreen (names on the FX buttons) and the Mapping in the other software that lead us that way.

geposted Fri 19 Apr 24 @ 2:43 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
After checking our notes, we probably decided to stick with pre-defined Effects because of the silkscreen (names on the buttons) and this was the case for another 2 devices (Mixtrack Pro FX and Platinum FX).
Even though the Mapping approach could be the one you would expect, however it would also be "unexpected" for a new user to get a different Effect than the one written on the button.

Anyways, anything can be done in VirtualDJ ;) (that's one of its powers) so here it is...

Several keys need re-mapping but should work as you want it...

The FX paddles (2 keys) ...
FX_ON
set 'FXon' 1 while_pressed & effect_active 1 `var "$fx1arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 2 `var "$fx2arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 3 `var "$fx3arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 4 `var "$fx4arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 5 `var "$fx5arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 6 `var "$fx6arm"` while_pressed

FX_HOLD :
set 'FXon' 1 while_pressed & effect_active 1 `var "$fx1arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 2 `var "$fx2arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 3 `var "$fx3arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 4 `var "$fx4arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 5 `var "$fx5arm"` while_pressed & effect_active 6 `var "$fx6arm"` while_pressed

The 6 FX Select buttons...

FX_HPF :
toggle '$fx1arm' & deck left effect_active 1 `var '$fx1arm' ? deck left var 'FXon' ? on : off : off` & deck right effect_active 1 `var '$fx1arm' ? deck right var 'FXon' ? on : off : off`

FX_LPF:
toggle '$fx2arm' & deck left effect_active 2 `var '$fx2arm' ? deck left var 'FXon' ? on : off : off` & deck right effect_active 2 `var '$fx2arm' ? deck right var 'FXon' ? on : off : off`

FX_FLANGER
toggle '$fx3arm' & deck left effect_active 3 `var '$fx3arm' ? deck left var 'FXon' ? on : off : off` & deck right effect_active 3 `var '$fx3arm' ? deck right var 'FXon' ? on : off : off`

FX_ECHO :
toggle '$fx4arm' & deck left effect_active 4 `var '$fx4arm' ? deck left var 'FXon' ? on : off : off` & deck right effect_active 4 `var '$fx4arm' ? deck right var 'FXon' ? on : off : off`

FX_REVERB :
toggle '$fx5arm' & deck left effect_active 5 `var '$fx5arm' ? deck left var 'FXon' ? on : off : off` & deck right effect_active 5 `var '$fx5arm' ? deck right var 'FXon' ? on : off : off`

FX_PHASER:
toggle '$fx6arm' & deck left effect_active 6 `var '$fx6arm' ? deck left var 'FXon' ? on : off : off` & deck right effect_active 6 `var '$fx6arm' ? deck right var 'FXon' ? on : off : off`

.. and their leds...
LED_FX_HPF
deck left effect_active 1 ? blink 500ms : deck right effect_active 1 ? blink 500ms : var '$fx1arm'

LED_FX_LPF:
deck left effect_active 2 ? blink 500ms : deck right effect_active 2 ? blink 500ms : var '$fx2arm'

LED_FX_FLANGER:
deck left effect_active 3 ? blink 500ms : deck right effect_active 3 ? blink 500ms : var '$fx3arm'

LED_FX_ECHO:
deck left effect_active 4 ? blink 500ms : deck right effect_active 4 ? blink 500ms : var '$fx4arm'

LED_FX_PHASER:
deck left effect_active 6 ? blink 500ms : deck right effect_active 6 ? blink 500ms : var '$fx6arm'

LED_FX_REVERB :
deck left effect_active 5 ? blink 500ms : deck right effect_active 5 ? blink 500ms : var '$fx5arm'

PS: the above Mapping was tested with Mixtrack Platinum FX, but the NS4FX is working very similar and key names should match as well.

geposted Fri 19 Apr 24 @ 4:01 pm
Thank you for the detailed response. I'll try to test this out tonight.

geposted Fri 19 Apr 24 @ 5:32 pm
Worked like a charm :) AND it allows me to choose multiple effects which the controller standalone is not capable of. Thank you

geposted Fri 19 Apr 24 @ 8:12 pm
Do you have the dry/wet and beat knob config? it's locked to the first one right now

geposted Fri 19 Apr 24 @ 8:25 pm
I got this and now it controls all 6 effects at once, how do I get it to only apply to the selected effect?
FX_DRYWET
deck all effect_slider 1 & effect_slider 2 1 & effect_slider 3 1 & effect_slider 4 1 & effect_slider 5 1 & effect_slider 6 1

geposted Sat 20 Apr 24 @ 1:57 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
effect is 'selected' by a variable, check if the variable is true, use brackets to contain the logic

( var '$fx1arm' 1 ? deck all effect_slider 1 1 : ) & ( var '$fx2arm' 1 ? deck all effect_slider 2 1 : ) & ...

geposted Sat 20 Apr 24 @ 2:31 pm
Y'all rock! Thank you. fixed both knobs

geposted Sat 20 Apr 24 @ 2:54 pm
I tried to fix the FX DEPTH and BEATS knob on my Rane One as well but couldnt get it there. Following the logic above, I got it to only work when the paddle/effect is activated. So I would choose effect button 2, couldnt control depth or beat knob until I use the paddle to enable the effect and during that I could use the knobs.
Any pointers?

geposted Sat 20 Apr 24 @ 8:13 pm
I just have the below difference from default to get what I described above on the Rane One.
FX_DEPTH ( var '$fx1' 1 ? deck all effect_slider 1 1 : ) & ( var '$fx2' 1 ? deck all effect_slider 2 1 : ) & ( var '$fx3' 1 ? deck all effect_slider 3 1 : ) & ( var '$fx4' 1 ? deck all effect_slider 4 1 : ) & ( var '$fx5' 1 ? deck all effect_slider 5 1 : ) & ( var '$fx6' 1 ? deck all effect_slider 6 1 : )

geposted Sat 20 Apr 24 @ 8:32 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
rane one has a funky type of output, the FX arm buttons are hardware only and only send state when the plunger is down.

geposted Sat 20 Apr 24 @ 8:42 pm
ok, thanks.
I'll just use it this way and flip the paddle on the other deck to adjust as I need on the live deck fx. Kind of a work around

geposted Sun 21 Apr 24 @ 1:15 am