Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: easily create playlists from a folder with subfolders
I'm a soundswitch user with VDJ. So I have to make playlists for each folder and sub-folders so that soundswitch can analyse them.

I find the way of creating playlists in virtual DJ rather laborious compared to other software.

I have folders which themselves contain sub-folders.
I would like, for example, to be able to right-click on the root folder and have VDJ automatically create the playlists corresponding to the sub-folders as they are organised in this root folder. This would save me an enormous amount of time instead of creating playlists for each sub-folder one by one manually.

Is there anything I'm missing here that would allow me to quickly create batch lists corresponding to each sub-folder in the same folder?

geposted Tue 14 May 24 @ 12:38 pm
I'm on a Mac and use FLAC, so using the music app(iTunes) to create playlist there and have them work in virtual DJ and Rekordbox is out of the question, since FLAC does not work with iTunes.
I know I'm n iTunes you can load folders pretty easily and make them playlist, so you could try that at workflow, and then your playlist that you have an iTunes work with several programs.

So I've been stuck using folders as a way to organize,
I would also like to know if anybody knows of a script or a way to turn folders into playlist, or rather turn folders with subfolders and have those subfolders all different playlists

geposted Sun 25 Aug 24 @ 12:21 am
Ian Wild wrote :

I'm a soundswitch user with VDJ. So I have to make playlists for each folder and sub-folders so that soundswitch can analyse them.

I founs SoundSwitch generally finds playlists without issue, and it's better not to complicate the process with many subfolders - I generally have one high-level folder with playlists that serve as different scan categories and I use those to scan (dragging and dropping tracks to scan as necessary). I then add hashtags to reflect that so I can find/update them later if the DMX patching for a venue changes.

Ian Wild wrote :

I find the way of creating playlists in virtual DJ rather laborious compared to other software.

I'm curious to the other software you are referring to. Generally I found in the past (this may have changed) that none of the other mainstream DJ software automatically created any playlist/crate structures based on OS filesystem layout. All of the software generally did not care about your filesystem layout - they give the tools (playlists/crates) within their ecosystem to organize the songs, virtually, within its own database.
Not to say that what you are doing is wrong, it's just not what I think organization tools within the software expect - this is even the same thought for regular music organization apps like the Music App, MediaMonely, MusicBee, etc, even if they may offer shortcuts to replicate playlists from the fileystem layout.

I think what you are asking for is a potentially a Feature Request, but it isn't necessarily a flaw in the software. You might even be able to get part of it automated with some vdjscript on a custom button.

geposted Sun 25 Aug 24 @ 12:58 am