Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Virtual DJ is having audo spikes, stuttering and drop-outs with new computer in Asio mode
Had to buy a new laptop. a Windows machine: ASUS VivoBook S OLED S5606MA-MX108W
Intel Core Ultra 9 185H and 32gb ram. No separated videocard in this one.
As an Audiocard I use: Denon Prime GO and its latest drivers.

My previous laptop (asus zephyrus duo) had a separated videocard. Didn't experience audiospikes like on the new one, but was tended to have a few drop-outs.. not very disturbing but still not perfect.

During my first weeks the new laptop sounded free from glitches and the high short, annoying spikes I experience now.
And know yesterday I loaded a track which totally sounded like a mess.. short pieces repeating, stuttering... :-( never experienced this before but it seems to get worser and worser..

a Simple trick I found to solve it, is to unplug my Denon Prime GO and plug it in again..  Previously I restarted Virtual DJ but the 'unplug / plug in' seems to work all the time..

Last week I tried about everything.. selected a higher Asio buffer. But it didn't make much difference.
I connected some things via USB but disconnecting it didn't solve it either.. The strange thing is that it usually happens after half an hour and sometimes even after more hours.. so really unpredictable behavior.

Any ideas on this one??
Thanx in advance!!

geposted Tue 10 Sep 24 @ 6:34 pm

geposted Tue 10 Sep 24 @ 6:48 pm
Thanx!!

I went through all the energy settings again.. (once done it) but found the power options for my 'minimal CPU state' still at 20%. I now increased it to 100%. Will test it again in a few days..

geposted Tue 10 Sep 24 @ 8:27 pm
MacGyverGear wrote :
Thanx!!

I went through all the energy settings again.. (once done it) but found the power options for my 'minimal CPU state' still at 20%. I now increased it to 100%. Will test it again in a few days..

Min CPU state can remain low, mine is set to 5% even on my ultimate power plan, but enabling the ultimate plan is just one of the steps to get rid of the latency.

geposted Wed 11 Sep 24 @ 8:36 am
Thanx for for your messages.. :-)

I Could find the Ultimate Powerplan in my settings before.. but pasted a link in the prompt now and it is activated now.. hope this will make a difference..

Just to make sure we're on the same page.. I have my PSU connected while using my laptop.. and stil experiencing nasty audio spikes.. and lately audio started stuttering... but I can rid of it for a while with disconnecting en connect the Prime GO.
I don't experience latency at all.. that's not an issue..

geposted Wed 11 Sep 24 @ 8:26 pm
Just put up my DJ case with everything in it to do some testing.. put in a playlist and after a song or 15 it started repeating short pieces and stuttering agian. Next song no problem. ??

I also connect a 4k touchscreen.. and first thought the PSU connection for this might cause the problem. It is powered through an USB thunderbolt connector but my laptop PSU gets really hot with no external PSU for the Touchscreen. And now I have the Ultimate power plan activated, maybe even more..
The crackles and audio spikes seemed to go less without the external PSU.. And when I just plugged it in Virtual DJ freezed.. so had to restart again.. (Reboot) as the whole media library seemed to be ocupied and songs got unfindable... I actually experienced this before and believe the Power connection on the Touchscreen was plugged in then too.

I'm testing it now again with the PSU's connected.. so far still not perfect. Don't know if this 4k touchplay makes the matter? The Denon Prime GO also uses up some videoram and 4k is a lot of memory maybe?? The laptop itself is having a resolution of 3200 x 1800. But the integrated GPU on the i9 shows 10-12% of ussage.

Should I tweak some settings in the Ultimate Power Plan? It's really weird the repeating / stuttering occurs, even now I have the Ultimate Power plan activated.. ??

geposted 6 days ago @ 3:31 pm
MacGyverGear wrote :
I don't experience latency at all.. that's not an issue

When you say latency, presumably you're referring to a delay in response?

You mentioned the buffer earlier, but didn't say what it was set to. If it's too low, then spikes, stuttering and dropouts are the symptoms.

geposted 6 days ago @ 6:16 pm
groovindj wrote :
When you say latency, presumably you're referring to a delay in response?

You mentioned the buffer earlier, but didn't say what it was set to. If it's too low, then spikes, stuttering and dropouts are the symptoms.

When the spikes occured first I was at 1024 samples.. after some experimenting (disconnecting the PSU from the touchscreen) I tweaked this to 256, and this didn't bring up much more cracks than I had at my starting point of 1024 samples.

Mr DJ Mel suggested to enable Ultimate Power Plan to get rid of the latency.. but i think he ment something different..
Mr DJ Mel wrote :
but enabling the ultimate plan is just one of the steps to get rid of the latency.

I realised that what might could cause the stuttering; I moved the USB port of the Denon Prime GO to an USB hub and that's when I noticed it first. There's only 2 USB A ports on the laptop, and 2 USB C ports, both occupied (PSU and Touchscreen).

I now moved again to the dockingstation (ASUS Triple 4k) I previously used, so I can have Audio on a dedicated USB laptop port. My powersupply got really hot during my test tonight (due to the Ultimate Power Plan maybe??) it's only 90 watts..

The docking station has a PSU with a bit more power (150 watts)..
I first didn't trust the Docking station and suspected it to arouse the ASIO spikes.. I will test again tommorow to find out if the Ultimate Power Plan was a game changer and audio spikes disappeared, even with the dockingstation.
Hopefully the stuttering will disapear too, with the dedicated USB port for the Denon Prime GO.

I increased the ASIO buffer again to 1024 samples, but I don't think 256 samples is that low, do you? I even moved it to very low (64) but it still sounds free from cracks after a few minutes. In my experience with producing on a DAW, very CPU consumptive VST's and too low ASIO buffer can cause cracks, but the cracks I notice are different.. just a few, short spikes during a song.. and some songs even play with no cracks.
The thing I have to disconnect my Denon Prime GO, to get rid of those very few cracks for an hour or so is weird.

geposted 6 days ago @ 9:10 pm
Instead of disconnecting the controller go to the sound config page in VDJ and hit apply. That refreshes the buffer.

512 is the best setting generally, 256 needs higher resource and 1024 can be slow in response.

geposted 6 days ago @ 9:59 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Instead of disconnecting the controller go to the sound config page in VDJ and hit apply. That refreshes the buffer.

512 is the best setting generally, 256 needs higher resource and 1024 can be slow in response.

Good suggestion to hit apply. This will stop the audio for a short while but if it functions the same, much better indeed.

Will continue listening and testing today at a buffer rate of 512 samples.

I also dug up my MC6000MKII, installed it got to work, even in ASIO mode.. I actually thought it was not supported in W11. But MC6000 was always rock solid.. I'll give it a try if my Prime GO goes into failiure again..

I also have a Numark NV2 MKII, but didn't install propper.. no ASIO drivers available, though the WASAPI drivers where acting quite aquirate, not that much delay.

geposted 6 days ago @ 7:33 am
Listened intensively for almost 5 hours. No stuttering (short repeats) since moving the Prime GO to an individual USB laptop port.

No audio spikes like described in my starting post. I like to believe that this is because I activated the Ultimate Power Plan.. fingers crossed...

Will keep you posted..

geposted 5 days ago @ 2:34 pm
That does solve the issue on some laptops.

geposted 5 days ago @ 3:51 pm