Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Transition Periods

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

How long should the transition periods between tracks be? Right now I have a transition period of about 15-25 seconds before the previous track is completley faded out.

geposted Fri 21 Dec 01 @ 2:04 am
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It depends on the song. I prefer the longer the better. Sometimes I mix two songs over 5 min. together, before I fade the first out.

geposted Fri 21 Dec 01 @ 9:16 am
I agree with Mama, the longer the better. I usually do a mix of around 1:30min, this makes the tunes really blend together, hiding the transition nicely.

Every DJ has a different method; Judge Jules, for instance, tends to do his CD mixes at around 1min+ or so. On his live sets, they are much shorter, maybe 30secs maximum. Other popular DJ's I've listened to recently have had mixes of around 3mins which is quite something to achieve when mixing using vinyl. Of course, to do this, the tunes must go together well, with no choruses or long silences coming in on either tune.

I'd say that the best advice is to try it and see what suits you, your music, and your mixing style the best. Everybody finds their own level, and trying to copy others can be the worst thing you do.

geposted Fri 21 Dec 01 @ 2:23 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Excuse me, in my opinion, Its depends on the style of the music oyu´re playing.- Itsn´t the same if you are mixing house that if you are mixing salsa.-
PD: Sorry about my english.-

geposted Fri 21 Dec 01 @ 2:32 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
It also depends of teh lenghth of the intro: normally I mix till the end of the intro. This lenghth depends of the style of the music and which remix you use: in a radio edit, (3 min), it's normally 20-30 secs, in a long version (10 min), its almost 2 or 3 minutes, or even more.

Greetz, ikke

geposted Fri 21 Dec 01 @ 5:47 pm
A good reason why never to use radio edits... Always try to get 12" mixes when you download your tunes. Also steer well clear of mp3's that have been ripped from pre-mixed CD's...

geposted Fri 21 Dec 01 @ 9:10 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
I don't download music!

geposted Sat 22 Dec 01 @ 7:22 pm
DaSOHome userMember since 2001
I prefer a longer mix up to 3 minutes.

geposted Mon 24 Dec 01 @ 6:34 am
In trance and house music I always mix tracks that are between 5:30 - 7:00 if the two tracks are perfect for mixing(roughly have same bpm's before adjusted, no major difference in key and the track elements complement each over) then I think long transition periods are good but if the two tracks are considerably different then I think 30's - 1min is best.

In the case of the often hard to mix radio edits then 10 - 30's is fine after all radio edits aren't for mixing their for playing it's the playlist thats important here.

geposted Tue 25 Dec 01 @ 1:55 am
Personally, I usually use a mix length of about 3.50 mins, 2.30, or 1.40 (left), and it seems to sound pretty damn smooth, if I say so myself :)

Try listening to "Syfoon - Cold Winter Nights", get it at http://www.syfoon.com/music/ or look for it on AudioGalaxy... :)

Bren (Syfoon)

http://www.syfoon.com/

geposted Mon 31 Dec 01 @ 2:21 am
SyfoonHome userMember since 2001
Would help if I signed in....

/me slaps his forehead

geposted Mon 31 Dec 01 @ 2:23 am
Syfoon I've already dl Cold Winter Nights and lemme say it's damn good! I've tried longer mixes between 1 or 2 minutes and some even 3 and some songs mix well while others don't have that long of an ending so I have to mix short but otherwise thanks for the tips everyone!

geposted Mon 31 Dec 01 @ 4:24 am
Everyone has their own style. I will say this though, long trans sound much more clean and professional if done correctly. But you must know your songs so no out of ordinary sounds or early buildups happen during the mix.

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 5:48 am
I have been making mix CD's with Atomix sense i found it about...a long time. I mix hip-hop songs not club an stuff. I found it a lot easier to do club music easier because of the repitition of the bass. I can mix fairly well without any complaints from customers. Even though I don't sell them, some people say I should.

Glad to waste your time,
Blazer

geposted Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 7:47 am
Hello

I think anyone have your own style. In my opinion a long transition periods (1:30 or 2:00 minutes) is the best way to mix the music... than more time more enthusiastic (???) is the transition... It's really wonderful a long transition period!

[]'s
X-tasy Boys

geposted Mon 21 Jan 02 @ 3:58 pm
always crossfade within 10 seconds of a song

geposted Sun 27 Aug 06 @ 10:38 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)