Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: tcv users without cracks & pops

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Who's using tcv with a phono amp, who's using the riaa software solution?
Who's getting cracks & pop's and who doesn't
Just curious, could this be my solution?
Greetz Dasouth

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 10:17 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I'm working without cracks and pops... and use only my PC, my ASIO soundcard and my TTs with TCVs. You could get connect you TTs in a mixer in the pnono inputs and with a splitter Y cable get connected to your PC soundcard.

Some plugins aren't updated to work with VirtualDJ 3.1 and have that Pops and cracks you said.

I don't probe it RIAA software solution with my micer, but I will do it and came with the info for you.

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 10:59 am
here's the deal, I'm using 2 turntables (sl1200 mk2 with shure 447) & a rane ttm56 mixer
I wonna be able to use normal vinyl & tcv so I use the splitters constantly
the cracks & pops will come after some fast scratching, without any plugins used.
I'm using v3.1 & have a maya44 usb, I use the audiotrak V2.5.5 driver.
When I was playing with the asio settings in vdj yesterday, I accidentally unchecked the software riaa amp without closing this window & guess what, cracks & pops were gone
so I wonna know if anybody had the same issue?

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 11:19 am
Sorry, I can't help, don't know what is going in your setup... I don't be sure on these :s...

Maybe another member could help us...

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 11:38 am
I'm not shure either & I don't have a phono preamp I can borrow. So I got to buy one, that's why I asked here first :(
Maybee I should start with a clean install & see if this has any result

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 11:43 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Let's give a title to help the team understand the problem:
"Fast scratching produces pops..."
I have reported this in other posts as "clipping" but "pops" is the right word.
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/11162/Bugs_report/Timecode_VINYL_antifacts____.htm
These "pops" are simillar to the Pops when using a mic without a pop filter
I'm sure this has to do with the software amplifier and it is some kind of internal clipping.
Pops are also present in TC bypass (for real vinyl)
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/8058/Bugs_report/Regular_vinyl__Timecode_bypass_--_Clipping___.html?highlight=scratch%20sound
I believe that a kind of filtering in low frequencies is the fix for this problem. If you see the waveforms for Tc calibration you can see how they distorted and clipping in scratching or even when you hit on the turntable. That was always a problem in real vinyls also producing low frequencies and make woofers to suffer.. In virtual dj this produces pops..
Now i think that dev team has enough information to reproduce and fix the problem.

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 5:31 pm
I was thinking the same thing aposis so I went out to the store in the afternoon and I bought myself 2 phono amps, I installed them but now I can't seem to get a decent signal, the signal is there but it's way to loud, I unchecked the riaa software amp, I don't know what to try anymore

geposted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 7:26 pm
I have TTx TTs and when I switch them to line ins (so the TTs pre-amp before the soundcard) I don't get a decent signal either.

I don't know if other users using line in TTs have the same issue or not. but would like to know how they can get a 100% signal without the pre-amp.

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 1:38 am
If we take the fact that -every- audio device (phono preamp in our case), - software or hardware (doesn't matter) - is different (sounds different) then:
Virtualdj software is optimized (100% TC signal quality) to work best with it's own software Riaa preamp, the same way that Final Scratch is optimized to work with the scratchamp and other programs with their own preamp solutions.
That's my version..

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 3:59 am
quote "Virtualdj software is optimized (100% TC signal quality) to work best with it's own software Riaa preamp"

I don't agree here, can anybody confirm that they can do fast scratches without pops while using the software riaa preamp?

Still no luck with the signal, it's starting to freak me out

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 11:21 am
I didn't say that i don't have this "pops" with riaa enabled, only that in normal playback the TC signal is recognised by the software at 100% quality.
Scratching is altering the TC, (by raising gain and adding unwanted low frequencies)
This produces internal clipping (pops) and is something the team have to look at.

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 2:58 pm
I agree but there should be a way to get this to work with a hardware phono preamp, but the signal is way too strong, even if I lower my input volume, it almost seems like the option for software riaa preamp does'nt do anything if you check it or uncheck it, the volume stays the same

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 3:04 pm
You say the signal is to loud, try to pass through a mixer and adjust the level so the waveform is at 75% of the window as it is in auto-config. Then let us know if you have 100% quality or not. If not what i wrote before must be the case, If its working you can build some "passive" knobs to adjust the input levels.

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 4:49 pm
Apopsis,

How would it be possible to connec the TTs to your mixer and have VDJ hear the signal???
Can you please explain it in greater details?

I also have a loud signal from my TT. I've changed the TTx to pre-amp itself (Line in mode) and still connects to the sound card's line in which is a standard connection (not too difficult so far). I can play with the line in volume of my soundcard but can never get any signal from VDJ.

The lines move (a bit too much) but the signal stays @ 0% and I can still use it somewhat as a regular TCV.

Thanks

DJ White Devil

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 5:11 pm
To get 100% signal you need:
The right timecode (using other timecodes not work)
The right level (about 75% of the callibration window)

As i can't see how the waveforms look but you say it is too loud, i adviced for an external way to adjust the level, like temporary pass the -line- signal from one turntable through any mixer (line in) (mixer main out to soundcard) just to control the level and try, not for a working setup.
Your Numark line out has an volume control ? or the external phono preamps? i guess no..

PS. dont forget to uncheck the riaa in vdj when you send line level TC

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 5:52 pm
nice one, I'll see if I can make some time tonight to try it out

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 6:28 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
is this the same case with backspins making the wave jump back like half a second? i notice if i do smaller more gentle backspins this does not happen, so it must be a louder sound from a fast spin causing clipping or distortion of some sort.

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 6:33 pm

I can control the input volume of my TCVs with my windows mixer... so I can give a good volume for TCVs with my windows mixer and the volumen control of VDJ TCVs setup... That's the way to get a less louder volume...

geposted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 11:54 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)