Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Audio CDs and MP3s

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hey all! Perhaps the best person for this would be Bagpuss, after his research on mp3 compresion and quality..Great work there Bagpuss!
Anyways, i just wanted to know, since audio cds are by far the best quality in sound, what if i make an audio cd from tracks that are 128bits, will it re-generate the audio cd clarity? (i know its kinda silly, but will it work)?
What if i make a cd from 320bit tracks? what difference will it make?
Bottom line:Can i get the same audio clarity thats originally there in the cd by burning mp3s?

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 4:11 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Speaking of the devil, here I am :).

The quality of an mp3 file once extracted from a CD has the potential to sound as good to the human ear as the CD it's self, although it's classed as a lossy format and it's technically inferior, the majority of humans blind tested can not tell the difference between a CD and an extracted/compressed mp3 file, if the settings are correct of course.

However, once an mp3 file has been extracted and encoded to a lower bite rate it is not possible for it to revert to it's original bite rate, as this information has been lost, remember the ideal of the mp3 is too take away the information that the human ear wouldn't miss, certain frequencies.

The more times you encode/decode a file the more loss that takes place, a 320kbps mp3 taken from a CD should sound flawless, but if you should write this file back to an Audio CD then it would have to revert the file back to it's original WAV, no frequencies have been restored but lost (again).., in this instance the loss shouldn't be noticeable to most people, but still note that the file on the CD is technically inferior to it's original source (CD - 320kbps mp3).
The general rule is that the more you re-sample a sound the lower the quality of the end result will be, doing it once/twice and no real difference (to most ears), continue to do this three/four times and the loss becomes obvious.

bottom line: Try to encode as high as possible (so the ABR meets or exceeds 225kbps) from the best original source (CD/Vinyl/WAV) with either the lame or fraun encoder, do your best to avoid the re-sampling of audio files as this will cause sound quality to be lost although only noticeable once done more than several times.

I hope that answers your question - ps I'm using a new E-mail address so any hate mail you might have for me WILL NOT BE RECEIVED, just kidding ;).

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 5:02 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
192 is perfect for size and quality.

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 5:11 pm
so to make it clear for all other and keep it short,

Try to photocopy the photograph on normal office copier. It's never the same quality as original.

Even if you photocopy the copied document again on the super-dooper-ultra-color copier it won't be better because of the bad quality of first copy.

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 6:08 pm
Very Well said... i got it! And Bagpuss, you really got info man!!!
I need another opinion, Im planing to buy Denon DN4500 cd players, and its my first, (i started with VDJ)
So, do yall think its good for me to switch over, I really want to know what it will be like, and knowing that djing with cd players has a lot more challenge, and requires skill, I think i wanna go into it...
What say?
Thanks fo the posts!

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 6:43 pm
D-O-GHome userMember since 2005
The bare minimum to rip MP3's should be 192. Once it reaches 256-320kbps, its very good quality, and basically unnoticable vs the real CD. Personally, I have been ripping music to WAV format, although each song would be approximately 40MB, I have CD's backed up. It's all a matter of preference...

192kbps - Good
256kbps - Better
320kbps - Even Better
WAV - Flawless

Thats basically the quality right there, so make your judgement and state your opinions, but each person has their own method of ripping CD's, so thats just your facts.

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 8:26 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)