Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Newbie needing help picking equipment...

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hey everybody! I'm brand new here, and I assume this topic probably gets asked with regularity, so let me apologize for my ignorance up front (I did not have any luck finding a FAQ thread).

I will be buying Virtual DJ (Pro), a laptop, soundcard, and external HD for Gentlemen's club gigs. The minimum requirements listed do not seem to be laptop specific, and seem to consider the video mixing feature I will not be using... So I hoped to get some help with my specific needs.

Notes to consider...

A. I'm a loyal Mac guy. Although I have extensive experience as a studio (mix/recording) engineer (Pro Tools & Logic are second nature), my knowledge in PC hardware is extremely limited. My choice to go PC for this setup is to have seamless compatibility with my DJ peers.

B. This setup almost exclusively will be used for DJ use. I can see using the laptop for non-DJ use, maybe 5-10 occasions a year AT MOST.

C. No need for video DJing.

D. Want the ability/option of dual stereo outputs from audio interface. Recording/inputs would be nice (especially S/PDIF or TOSLINK) but not required.

E. System stability most important.

F. CDRW needed

G. Last but not least... Budget. :cry: Looking to spend $1500-2000 including laptop, HD, audio interface, and software. Realistic? (considering Dell's Outlet options)

Questions:

1. With no need for video playback, what type of video requirements are needed?

2. 1Gig of RAM enough? (I consider this the minimum)

3. Audio Interface? Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA card looks like an option, but I'd sacrifice space/weight for an outboard USB or Firewire audio interface if it was recommended. Any other solid performing (think: stability) models I should consider?

4. Processor type/speed recommendations? Remember I'm putting an emphasis on stability.

Thanks in advance for the help!

glennQ

geposted Tue 07 Feb 06 @ 6:48 am
Forgot to mention I will be using an external HD of at-least 150gig, with as small as possible in the laptop itself...

(No ability to edit posts on this forum???)

glennQ

geposted Tue 07 Feb 06 @ 6:52 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Only full users can edit posts.

The specs you could go for:
-RAM 1GB is enough as you won't be using video.
-Graphics card: 128MB of memory, no need for more. With no video mixing, VDJ won't use alot of graphic memory.
-Processor: Intel Pentium M 1,6GHz or equivalent in AMD.

Buying something from Dell is a good idea, you won't have all the fuss of choosing which brand to buy and what type of laptop.

geposted Tue 07 Feb 06 @ 4:37 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
To fit your budget requirements, The best for the money...

Buy a Dell Inspirion 9400... If a very good option for the money (Dual Core at starting at $1299), you can built your self at your needs.

Good Luck!

geposted Wed 08 Feb 06 @ 12:30 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)