Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Will a laptop work?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

jenhenPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi guys I love the product on my PC (works great). I would like to buy a laptop to make my load lighter but I am afriad that it will not work as well. Are there any specific brands w/specs someone could suggest?
Thanks

geposted Wed 22 Mar 06 @ 1:48 pm
jenhenPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is this a dumb question?

geposted Thu 23 Mar 06 @ 7:39 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
The trouble with laptops is that they can't easily be customised or upgraded. For example, they don't usually have hard drives bigger than 80GB, so you have to use an external USB caddy. The onboard sound usually isn't very good quality, so you end up with a USB card like a Maya or Gigaport. They tend to overheat in sweaty nightclubs, so you need one of those heatsink things with a fan in it for the laptop to sit on. All of a sudden, the "compact solution" starts to look a bit cumbersome! Also, if you want to play videos, laptop graphics cards aren't known for their versatility. I reckon you'd be better off with your PC - it's cheaper, it's easily upgradeable and you can build it to your own needs. Maybe a rackmount PC in a case with your mixer & controller?

geposted Thu 23 Mar 06 @ 2:52 pm
donrecoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
try www.compamerica.com

geposted Thu 23 Mar 06 @ 8:00 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
My Laptop Specs:
Model: Fujitsu Siemens AMILO D
Processor: Intel Pentium IV- 3.06 GHz
RAM: 2Gig
Hard Drive: 40Gig
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000

My 3rd Laptop over about 5 years Djing with them.
Runs VDJ OK. Software bugs make it crash occasionally.

I have to use an external USB2 Hard drive to store the video .avi files. This isn't ideal. So your better off with a desktop PC and IDE hard drive's. SATA are apparently faster, but nothing that noticeable.

geposted Tue 28 Mar 06 @ 4:47 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I advise you a processor: Intel Pentium IV- 3.xx GHz with HT support or the new Intel Centrino Duo T2500 2.0GHz

Sorry for Dell but i don't advise you them for djing ;-)
I like Asus as they are professional in their computers

geposted Wed 29 Mar 06 @ 7:36 pm
I've used a toshiba sattelite pro for the last 3 years but just ordered a toshiba G30-117. It is designed as a media PC with Digital TV and surround sound so the graphics and sound card can't be all bad. In addition it has 2x80gig hard drives which should be plenty
Unfortunately it isn't cheap as it the cheapest I've found it in the UK is £1800. In the UK we have a tax dodge (soon to be closed) where the govt run a Home Computer Initiative (HCI) where the cost is deducted from your wages pre tax so as a 40% tax payer it will only cost me £1200.Worth asking if your employer is signed up to it as the scheme ends at the end of this tax year
How nice is that

Tony

geposted Thu 30 Mar 06 @ 3:09 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)