Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Unusually high resource useage by VDJ

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hello all,

I am using VDJ 3.4 pro and i just upgraded to a Delta-66 sound card and DAC-3 controller. I had been using this same computer before with my HDC Mk1 and it worked perfectly. I did a fresh clean install just before I upgraded. Whille playing a gig last night I noticed occasional skipping and I was working on solving that issue with buffer size settings etc. It improved somewhat but still skips on the odd occasion. One thing I did notice was the VDJ resource useage seemed abnormally high. It started at 45mb on start up and as I was playing songs it increased to 120mb. At one point it skipped and I looked and it had risen to 297mb useage. At it's highest it was using 457mb of resources!! I have 756mb of ram so this is not a problem theoretically but what's the deal with this crazy fluctuation? I have never seen a program eat up this amount of resources before. Is there a possible problem with a memory leak in 3.4 that no one has noticed yet?? I tried the basic skin and the program still rose from 45mb on startup to over 129mb when I was playing a few songs.

geposted Fri 19 May 06 @ 6:15 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
you are using alot of Intensive External hardware , it is my belief that is what is causing it.

geposted Fri 19 May 06 @ 9:36 pm
I only have the dac-3 attached and this occurs even without the controller attached. Started the program at 40mb useage loaded one song and it rises to 90mb. Load a second song and it rose to 141mb useage. Loaded while another song was playing and it rose to 164mb. You can see how this will get out of hand. Thats an insane amount of resources for mp3 software.

geposted Fri 19 May 06 @ 11:39 pm
Tonight I dj'd for a 5 hour gig and VDJ reached 505mb of resources being used towards the end of the evening. That is ridiculous.

geposted Sat 20 May 06 @ 10:05 am
no one from VDJ cares to comment on this? BTW my cpu useage hovers from 2 to 20%. It's just the memory useage that gets out of hand.

geposted Sun 21 May 06 @ 12:55 am
any music program you use will use a massive amount of Cpu , especialy on laptops thats why your battery time is vastly reduced when you play music non stop. or watch a movie.

geposted Sun 21 May 06 @ 1:48 pm
For me, VDJ typically uses between 125Mb and 145Mb of RAM mixing MP3's. Are you mixing videos? These will obviously use a lot more memory than music files.

Also, if you are using a laptop, make sure the Power Options are set to a desktop PC (Home/Office) rather than portable laptop.

geposted Sun 21 May 06 @ 9:06 pm
The cpu useage is not massive. It is memory resources that seem really high and continually rise. My computer is a portable shuttle. There are no power management features etc set. These would not affect the VDJ program resource useage anyway. I only mix music not videos. I don't get any skipping or anything. It just seems to me that an mp3 mixing program shouldn't be using 4x the amount of resources as anything else out there. Don't get me wrong here I am using VDJ without any problems, but, the potential is there as resource useage continually rises over the evening. None of the other software I use does this and I believe it should be looked into as a potential bug.

geposted Sun 21 May 06 @ 10:22 pm
djzarePRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've noticed the same thing in Task Manager. Only mine goes up to a 1GB! Then I runned Aida32 program and seen that it was swap & virtual memory going wild, while the physical memory still has some room- but not much.
When I shut down VDJ, memory in Task Manager goes down to normal cca. 125mb.

btw. I have 512 DDR, not much- but it should be enough for only music.

geposted Tue 23 May 06 @ 12:12 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
So to sum up the problem:
* you had vdj v3.4
* which plugins?
* visuals or bitmaps? (video module)
* "max load" value? "always"? Set to "15 min" !!!

Don't forget the mp3 is uncompressed in RAM and the size in RAM depends on the value of "max load".

geposted Tue 23 May 06 @ 5:29 pm
Yes 3.4 is what I'm running. I have the DAC-3 mapper running and the basic plugins except for long brake. I'm not running anything video and I'm using the JN Black 3.0 WS skin. I have the max load set to always which is the default. It doesn't explain this setting that well in the manual so I left it as always. Here is what the manual says:

Max Load: specify the duration maximum beyond which the track will not be loaded in
memory (and consequently of many functions of VirtualDJ will not be available any more).
This function amongst other things makes it possible to be able to play long tracks without
overloading the memory of your computer.

It's kind of confusing. Makes it seem that if you change that it will affect functions of the software. No matter what that setting is set to, In my opinion the software shouldn't continually increase it's memory useage all night.

geposted Wed 24 May 06 @ 7:29 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Trust me it's better to set "max load" to "15 min" but not "always" when you have problems ;-)

geposted Wed 24 May 06 @ 10:20 pm
Well. like I said I'm not having any problems. But, the potential is there. If a program is eating up all the resources like this in an average 5 hour shift, what happens when you DJ longer? Does it get even worse and crash?

geposted Wed 24 May 06 @ 11:48 pm
I did 2 15 hour sets last week, audio and video mixing. No problems. I do not monitor my Task manager, so can not tell you what is going on. I do this all the time, and have no fears.

geposted Thu 25 May 06 @ 8:09 am
BTW, regarding my skipping problems, no matter what I set latencey or pci r IRQ's to I could not get the Delta 66 soundcard to work without skipping or stuttering noise in the background. I have since switched back to using my hercules Mk1 as my soundcard and it works perfectly. I use the DAC-3 as my controller and it is awesome.

geposted Thu 25 May 06 @ 9:05 am
mine works just fine thanks! i often have it on 24/7 for our radio
it actualy uses the lowest cpu and ram i have ever seen in a music program.

try optimising ur pc configs

and runing spyware scans

and defrags

and check that its not other aplications messing up.

geposted Thu 25 May 06 @ 11:23 am
Did you get this problem fixed? I have the same issue. I'll try a fresh install and remove my RAM and battery to clear the cache's but I doubt that will fix it.

I'm running video so would expect it to run high but not THIS high (208Mb).

Another question, have you installed any new codecs or WinAmp plugins lately? Who are your hardware manufacturers?

My computer is never connected to the net or net work. It's a standalone PC. I installed the latest KLite Mega Codec pack and SQR Crossfader for Winamp and thats when my problems started.

Anyway, it would be good to hear back.

geposted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 12:49 am
Personnaly I don't like these "codec packs". They cause more problems than they fix, worst offender is the Nimo pack! First thing I'd do is get rid of that codec pack and just install the few proper codecs that you need.

geposted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 2:20 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Try to turn off "Safe Mode" and "Overclock" in performance tab, it reduces CPU usage by 15-20%.

geposted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 7:30 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)