Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: TCV and digitised sound - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Ok, it seems like nomatter where I put the buffer settings I still get that digitised sound, especialy when scratching. Also, when scratching it slows itself at points rendering the scratch itself as useless and horrible sounding. My question is, since I'm using the mk2 in conjunction with my sound blaster live "line in", could this be just a problem with the soundblaster live being it's only a 16 bit card? I can't really seem to figure out the problem otherwise, I've set performance settings to "adjust for best performance" and still have the same problem whether my mk2 is set to line in or phono, and the auto config doesn't solve it either. I've currently got buffer settings to around 1300, which is about the lowest I can get it without skipping, having split second silences, etc., but still get that digitised sound, almost rebotic when scratching.

Here are my specs:
Sony Vaio desktop with giga pocket, P4 3.2 ghz with HT, 512 MB RAM, three hard drives 120 GB, 160 GB, 250 GB external, integrated audio, creative soundblaster live 16 bit, dvd+-r, hercules mk2, gemini tt02 turntable, TCV, behringer vmx100 and gemini pmx 40 mixers.

geposted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 8:34 pm
Forgot a couple details, I'm on win xp home and in low latency tcv mode.

geposted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 8:18 pm
Are you using the soundcard of your mk2, or another sound card. dj-in-norway just mentioned that the sound of the mk2 is some digitized when using timecode. He also mentioned that it is improved in the upcoming version4. You could sent dj-in-norway a private message. If your interested I could lookup the thread for you.
Ewout

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 12:19 am
Yeah, I'm running my turntable into the mk2, and then my mk2 into the soundblaster live. I've found if I drop my buffer all the way down to 96 I can scratch without the digi noise, but then it's full off pops & clicks. The tcv at higher buffer levals seems to play alright until I start scratching, so that might be it. I'll make sure to send him a line with this post. Thanks;^]

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 3:28 am
Timmy if you use the HDJC at 96 you have it in 48kHz, VDJ only supports 44kHz but why the need to run it into your Soundblaster live?

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 2:59 pm
Hercules works with timecode....
It works great for normal beatmatching dj use...

BUT... ...there is a but;)

Hercules asio drivers have too high latency.

As you said, when you set asio buffers to 96 - you get great scratch sound...
But Hercules will not let you use that setting, without having horrible crackles and pops, even skips.

I've no said it would be better in VDJ4, as the limitations is on the hardware, and its driver..
But VDJ4 have better use of ASIO, so it might be a bit better... did not compare yet.

IF you are serious turntable dj and scratch a lot, getting better ASIO soundcards such as Maya or U46dj will do far better....

Hope that helps:)

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 4:46 pm
Man that sucks, I love my mk2. So if I sold my mk2 to pay for the maya, would the registration of it & the console edition VDJ be transferable? I noticed ther maya 44 USB has been discontinued, unfortunate because it looked like a good option. I've got an alesis multimix 8 USB, but I don't think that'll work. Thanks for the help.

About the 4400khz vs. 4800 khz, I tryed buffer settings in both modes and didn't notice much differance, both seem to work ok minus the digi noise in TCV mode. I use it with the soundblaster so that it can play through the stereo my PC is connected to;^]

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 6:35 pm
Hi Timmy,

What kind of needles are you using? I had some bad results when I used my backups... maybe that is the problem.

Karlo.

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 10:43 pm
I'm using a cn1000, seems to play my regular vinyls fine though;^]

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 10:47 pm
I think the problem is the soundblaster card then. Have you tried to use the TCV setup with your MK2 without using the sblive? Try with headphones just to know if that is the problem.

Karlo.

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 10:53 pm
It still sounds in the headphones before reaching the line in of the soundblaster, and through the PA as well. Must be the mk2, and as far as I can tell on their website, they haven't even addressed the problem;^[

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 11:02 pm
I can run my m2 in 48hz too...

Sorry that I'm not a turntable user, would then try all that can possible fine tune the driver..

Tried a bit, and I got lower latency in 48hz... with Vdj4
Might work good for you, so wait until VDJ4 before you decide..

Also, check any hardware conflict with USB sharing, to make sure there are no limitations on that front.

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 11:03 pm
That's a pretty good observation DJNorway. Usbs are hell to use with VDJ... and its not VDJ's fault, be sure of that. What equipement you got that works with USB when you run VDJ?

Karlo.

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 11:18 pm
48khz doesn't work for me, the pitch of the music is always way off. Ideally you should use an external mixer for TCV use, that way you won't get the headphone problems and all the eq'ing will be done in hardware which is much better.

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 11:30 pm
Andrew87 wrote :
48khz doesn't work for me, the pitch of the music is always way off....
'

Lol.. you are right...

I tried some more, and its pitched... at 48khz...

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 11:59 pm
I'm running a few usb devices, an optical compaq mouse, giga pocket remote reciever, external 250 gb hard drive (usualy off when I run VDJ, but occasionaly on), the mk2 and an alesis multimix 8 USB mixer (multimix 8 never runs while mk2 is connected, but I often use the same jack for the two).

How would I go about solving it if it's a usb conflict? Thank you everybody for your help;^]

geposted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 11:59 pm
Well first what is your USB card? 1.0 or 2.0? I think the best way to use usb is to plug the less devices as possible. If you got a 1.0 card, this could seriously be your problem with the usage you make from it. SO either get what we call a USB hub that got a power supply or simply manage your devices for minimum usage (plug less devices).

Now if it is a IRQ problem related to usb, then I think it was discussed already on those boards. It is rather complex so I cant really give you a pre-made answer. But do try to search the forums for this solution.

In conclusion I think a PCMCIA USB 2.0 is almost a minimum when playing with decent usb devices like HDC or other various usage devices. You can buy one for cheap online or at your local store. If you already have that card then well as I said try to keep your usb usage to a minimum and check the forum for IRQ related problems.

Karlo.

geposted Fri 16 Jun 06 @ 1:33 am
It's a usb 2 card I'm sure of, it was the standard on sony when I purchased it. I looked on the device manager for IRQ conflicts & didn't see any. Is there a way to use TCV without the mk2 and on my soundblaster alone? That'd be one way to test how much of it is the mk2 if it's possible;^]

geposted Fri 16 Jun 06 @ 2:41 am

You can try to connect timecode to your Soundblaster card yes:)

The Soundblaster card probably have a mini-jack input, so you might have to get a new cable or an adapter.. so that you can plug it in to that input port.

Not sure if your Soundblaster card has native asio drivers, but maybe..
If it does not, try to use the www.asio4all.com drivers...

geposted Fri 16 Jun 06 @ 8:13 am
Ok, tried it and the results were much differant. Very little digi noise but still had a few pops & clicks (but not nearly as many as with the mk2). I also had to uninstal asio4all and reboot my pc inorder to get the mk2 to work properly again. But yeah, I had a harder time figuring out the asio settings with asio4all, but it still provided much better results than the mk2. So let's say I went ahead and bought a maya, is there a simple way to use the maya for tcv but still use the mk2 for button sequences? Thanks for the help, it's been great for determining the root problem;^]

geposted Fri 16 Jun 06 @ 9:00 pm
80%