Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: not sure if this was covered...

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I am sure I am posting this in the wrong place but ... anyways.

Is there a way to make VDJ run in "shell" mode. When you turn on the computer it is the only app that runs and no users can modify anything or browse your computer's contents. I have a business where I am setting up machines that other DJ's may use for events. My concern would be the amount of collected and exclusive songs and videos that we carry get in the wrong hands. Also the threat of someone modifying settings on a computer cause it to crash too. Call me paranoid but I remember the old PCDJ Red 5.3 had this feature. You couldn't access the config menu without a password or even minimize the software without a password. It would be nice if we could do that with this amazing software too.. So the questions are I guess this... can and how can we do this now? and if not... will it be an added feature in any future release?

geposted Tue 27 Jun 06 @ 10:50 pm
Nice one low-fat-al. I don't know if it is possible, if not then I recommend to add a post to the "new features" forum. Tomorrow I will ask an administrator at work if this is possible. I know about a windows installation, where you only could use outlook. There was no "Start Menu" and you could not minimize it, so the desktop couldn't be reached. Also the task manager was disabled. I will ask how they did it, If I get to know it I will post it here.
Ewout

geposted Tue 27 Jun 06 @ 11:22 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
u can always encrypt ur hard drive, make a limited account and protect the admin account so that they have to log on with limited access, and wont be able to copy the files off the hard drive without unencrypting. but in the end it's always best to hire someone u really trust because all the free music is very tempting

geposted Tue 27 Jun 06 @ 11:27 pm
Protecting internal drives is not the issue, we are trying to lock the info on external drives

geposted Wed 28 Jun 06 @ 6:40 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
then encrypt that too..................... i think that setting up a computer to let others use for events etc is gonna be in breach of the licence. it is posible to configure windows to not open the user interface (exporer.exe) and simply put VDJ to run at startup. then all you have to do is remove one of the Crtl Alt Del keys (and F8) and there is prety much nothing they can do.....unles they poke them with a pen, or use their own keyboard.,,,,,,,,,,,

This is why people like Linux. you can do what you want with it, its all open.

geposted Thu 29 Jun 06 @ 12:37 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i would just encrypt the drive, remember if they take the pc home with them the can just plug up to drive to there home pc and copy away

geposted Thu 29 Jun 06 @ 2:03 am
Use a limited user account to protect the OS and have the media files reside in an ntfs encrypted directory using windows xp professional - only the bar manager should know the password to this login. Follow Xeo's advice about not starting up explorer and to launch VDJ instead and disable task manager from the users access rights so that explorer cannot be started up. This way you maintain the security of the files because they're only accessible from the user account. Someone who steals the PC could reset the admin and user password and eventually gain access but that's pretty unlikely.

Alternatively, I believe there is software available that will look for a decryption key on a usb stick and if found, on-the-fly decrypt the contents of a drive (obviously you must encrypt the drive first) which may work with virtualdj.

geposted Thu 29 Jun 06 @ 2:33 am
i use
www.truecrypt.org for over a year now and have my 40GB partition encrypted. It's free and reliable. It creates virtual drive that can be stored in a file or on a whole partition. The performance is quite good.
You have a benchmark test and can choose which coding you want to use.

geposted Thu 29 Jun 06 @ 9:38 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)