Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Crossfader vs Volume sliders - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
What do you use for mixing ?

I personally use the crossfader but sometimes volume sliders seems to help me with the gain control.

I need your opinion.
Thanks

geposted Sat 08 Jul 06 @ 9:54 pm
xantharHome userMember since 2006
I use the crossfader but I switched from 'smooth' to 'full' crossfader. It works just like volume control - at the center position both songs will play at 100%, which is what I want.

You have to see what works best for you though :).

geposted Sun 09 Jul 06 @ 4:48 am
joetmenPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I use the crossfader, 'cause I dj with an external mixer and, in my opinion, it's better to have the volume faders in the same position and work with the gain control for each channel. my external mixer has got a VCA controlled crossfader and I can regular the cf curve by my will, so, I fit it by the genre that I'm playing. if you want, djcel produced this plug-in that is useful for the cf curve in virtualdj.
thanks djcel!

geposted Sun 09 Jul 06 @ 8:52 am
Crossfader is always the way to go. You make more work for yourself by using the volume faders. Now if you are doing crazy scratch tricks like you see in the DMC comps, you might use the volume faders. Those type of tricks are another topic all together though. :)

geposted Fri 14 Jul 06 @ 8:03 pm
I learned to mix by using the volume controls, the club that I started in did not have a mixer that had a cross fader, just rotary dials. Ever since then I have always used the volume controls, no matter what mixer I used.

geposted Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 4:32 am
volume sliders here! (Maybe because not all mixers have curve control, so you're more flexable with the faders) :)

geposted Wed 26 Jul 06 @ 1:34 pm
Volume sliders here 2

geposted Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 7:46 am
Volume sliders here too, I cross between radio and club, radio don't have crossfaders.

geposted Fri 28 Jul 06 @ 7:47 pm
If you haven't got it already, DJ Cel's Fader Start plugin is available in the Plugins section - it works with the crossfader - move it about halfway to auto-start the next track, then, when the other stops, move it right across. Cue up your next track, then do the same thing again.

geposted Sun 30 Jul 06 @ 3:11 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I use a full crossfader, because I like to beatmatch intro & climax/outro. This way you can hear both songs and maybe adjust basses if they're pumped too much (I also do bass crossfading a lot, but manually with DJC Mk2 potentiometers). However, it's better to beatmatch songs where the intro/outro hasn't a pumped bass with full crossfader without changing the EQs. Volume sliders are good to put samples taken directly from the song (not recorded with the sampler), like I did in a mix between "hardHeadz! - Showtime" and "Dj Isaac - Nobody Listens To Techno".

geposted Sun 30 Jul 06 @ 8:21 pm
jolfyHome userMember since 2006
yep definetley crossfader.

geposted Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 9:41 am
crossfader in full mode

geposted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 11:41 am
Hi,

Just out of interest, if you use a full crossfader, don't you keep having to adjust the gain controls aswell to keep the volume constant throughout the mix?

geposted Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 4:27 pm
Well, if use the full crossfader mode, you also need to use an equalizator for each deck, or at least bassfader,highfader and mediumfader which are provided by vdj in some skins.

If you use the smart crossfader, you will notice that both the tracks lose gain, and the transition is not clean.

In full mode, (with equalizators and/or xxxfaders (which, in the end are the same)) you use the crossfader like in traditional mixers. You won't have any gain loss, but you will experience the opposite: you need to fade the overlapping frequencies in such a way they do not sum so much, otherwise you'll end up in playing two tracks at the same time, and the volume will raise up.

Pier

geposted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:54 pm
smooth crossfader works just perfect if you know how to mix well

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 3:37 am
hemanHome userMember since 2005
do you guys have any tips for mixing well as in fading the song with EQ help .....some tips would help ...thanx a lot guys

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 12:00 am
Buy the product and I will be glad to share some pointers!

geposted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 8:27 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Never been a big fan of crossfaders myself - I find I can control a mix better using the up faders. I guess it's whatever you're used to - the first mixers that I used didn't have one, and it's only in the last year that I've finally got one with an adjustable curve and reverse switch. Even so, I rarely use it, just set in my ways I guess!

geposted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 8:49 am
hemanHome userMember since 2005
i wasnt talking to you ronny ...i was talking to ppl who actualy care for ppl who arent rolling in the dough like myself .......

to those ppl just a few ideas and tips about eq and when its best to use it (what genres)
Tx.

oh btw mr.ronny, dj in norway has helped me quite a bit ...and you know what ....thats what made me think about buying it .....but its guys like you who shoo customers away ....dj in norway is a good example of a smart person ...by helping ppl get to know all the features of VDJ and get ineterested .....but with no help...no buying product... (just a tip)

geposted Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 4:32 am
rj831Home userMember since 2006
I only use the cross fader but that's just because I'm a beginner.

geposted Sat 23 Sep 06 @ 10:20 pm
87%