Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: What I learned about the VDJ Database....

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I have my mp3 on a removable hard drive in order to swtich from my laptop to my desktop easily....

I used the LOCAL DATABASE and scanned my removable HD....got all of the songs on there with BPM analysis.....but it took like 6 hours at least ( I have about 9000+ mp3 ). I later added about 30 new mp3s and wanted to update my database....I rescanned my removable in the LOCAL DATABASE...MISTAKE....it starts by erasing all your priro songs and rescans and reanalysis all your songs!!!!

SO instead I added my removable hard drive as a FAVORITE folder...it appears that as soon as I add songs all that is required for VDJ to identify the new song is just plugging in my removable hard drive.....it doesnt have the BPM analysis on the new songs until you play them...

I hope this hleps some of you and most of all , I hope Im right...if Im wrong or theres another way, please let me know since Im new to all this

Thanks

geposted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 7:16 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What you describe is not normal. But to understand your situation further need to know a few things.
1. Do you ahve VDJ installed on both laptop and desktop?
2. When you went from the laptop to the desktop did you copy the mp3database.txt and VirtualDJ Database.xml files to the desktop?
3. After you added the 30 new tracks where did you 'rescan' them? On the laptop or the desktop.

Word of note to ALL: The only operations that VirtualDJ performs that would 'remove' any data is:
1. if you right click on the Local Database and choose to remove a specific drives info
2. if you right click on a folder and choose to remove its contents from database
3. if you delete a file (only the file is deleted, not necessarily it's analyzed data)

@LordBiShOp - answer the above questions and we will be able to determine what went wrong.

Chris

geposted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 1:40 pm
Answers:

1. Yes I have VDJ installed on both the desktop and the laptop
2. No I am not copying the txt file from the laptop to the desktop or laptop to desktop. I really dont want to do that....I mean I have the mp3s on a removable hard drive so I wouldnt have to dopy any files...right?
3. I rescanned them on the laptop and the desktop.

I DID NOT INTEND TO IMPLY THAT THERE WAS A FAULT WITH VDJ. As I said at the end of my original message, I am not sure if I am doing something worng....
but if I have my mp3s on a seperate hard drive, I should be able to simply scan on the desktop and the laptop and have the same database without having to sopy any txt files

geposted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 7:31 pm
ok.. listen...

ALL songs you have EVER analyzed will NEVER be lost (unless you force remove them).
They are ALL in your XML database (VirtualDJ Database.xml)....this is your MUSIC DATABASE (bpm, cues, gain and other info).
This database is of EVERY file that you have analyzed or played.. and is NOT your search database.

Now, the VirtualDJ SEARCH DATABASE is based on the TXT file (mp3database.txt)... that shows the PATH of the files.

So, all you do is copy over the XML database between your PC's (and not the TXT file)...
Then RE-ADD your music-folders inside Virtual DJ on the new PC, from your external harddrive (add favorite folders).
Right-click and choose "add to search database"... and voila... 1-2-3 seconds... and they are back! ;)
That rebuilds a new txt file (search database).

Thats all ;)

geposted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 7:44 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@LordBiShOp - sorry if I implied anything. Just need to understand what it was you were copying from one location to the other. As dj-in-norway pointed out is that you shouldn't have to bother with re-analyzing. Which you said you were doing on both machines. The information about the analyze is stored in the XML file. So if you analyze 30 new tracks on the desktop and then don't copy that file to the laptop - you get what you experienced.

I hope this helps and does not confuse the issue.

Chris

geposted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 11:53 pm
I think I got it straight...thanks guys...

SO what I'll do is add a favorite folder pointing to my removable hard drive which has all my mp3s....and just move the removable HD around from my laptop and desktop.....

Nothing else required......I tried it once and it seemed to UPDATE all new mp3s that I added to my removable hard drive since the last time I used it

Thanks guys

geposted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:12 pm
thats all you need;)

geposted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 8:50 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)