Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: First Gig! - Wedding DJing Tips Please!

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi all!

I've had a Herc MK2 for the past month or so and I've been glued to it ever since. I've had friends over and there's nothing more fun than learning to DJ with a few buddies and cheering each other on till the wee hours of the night.

One of my buddies has a sister getting married soon. After hearing us fool around with VDJ and the Herc, she and her husband-to-be asked if I'd try DJing at her wedding reception! I thought they were kidding at first, but they're looking into equipment rentals that we can hook into as I type! When I heard about this I chuckled and told them not to engrave anything in stone until I feel comfortable that I can go there and do a good job. ...This is where I'm hoping you guys can help me!

I've read many posts in this section and have gotten good basic ideas, and applied them mostly to trance and house type music quite succesfully, but I don't forsee a wedding reception croud enjoying a rave party! I expect a large age range, and really want to please if I do this. So here are a few questions, but please, anyone with experience at wedding receptions, please fire off any kind of suggestions!

1. Some of the posts in here say to "play what the crowd wants" or "reponds to". At a wedding, obviously I'm not gonna start testing techno or heavy metal, especially early in the night, but what should I try and when? Oldies early on? Hip hop or pop a little later for the youger now drunk poeple to dance?

2. I've (for the first time) started to practice mixing different genres of music today, and discovered that with some it's not as easy as beatmatch-and-crossfading (even when playing around with the EQ). It just doesn't sound right. Any tips on different mixing techniques for different music? (I'm sure I'll get a lot of thread links to this one, which is fine. There's just so much on these forums to search through.)

3. I've notice at many wedding receptions, a lot of...I'll call it "fun" music, gets dusted off and played, and will usually get people of all ages dancing or interacting and having a blast. A couple of examples that I can think of are "The Hokie Pokie", or "Locomotion" where everyone forms a train... Any other suggestions of songs I should add to my collection?

4. ANYTHING that 1st timer may overlook and should be prepared for?

This is getting long so I'll shut up now. Thanks in advance for ANY and ALL help!

DXF.

geposted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 9:52 am
A good idea would be to get some records from people well in advance of a gig and load them up in your Virtual DJ (copyright issues notwithstanding). Mastermix http://www.mastermixdj.com have a good selection of music, from old stuff to "thump-thump" music - if you join them, you'll find a massive selection - but I don't think they deal with orders from outside the UK.

geposted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 3:39 pm
The Cha-cha slide and the Electric slide's never failed yet ;)

geposted Tue 19 Sep 06 @ 2:40 am
hemanHome userMember since 2005
a good one is also the Macarena -Los Del Rio
but a lot of djs on this site should have some good playlists .....
what you could do is also get some CD's with the latest hits ...like hip hop house dance and that kinda stuff ....thats great cuz they're all mega hits .....some old ones are good too ....and some good remixes ...something i play that all ages likes is remixes of older singers and bands ...like james brown ...and others but especialy him ......

have a good party ....hope that helps

geposted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 3:28 am
Thanks guys!

Keep'em comin'!

geposted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 7:12 am
Simple :-)

We could list songs forever or just do a web search for wedding songs.

I am not endorsing this site but it does have a comprehensive list .

Remember you will on average be playing around 20 songs an hour @ 3 minutes each ;-)

Here is the link :

http://discjockeys.com/

click on their song tabs

Don't forget to get plenty of soft dinner music and make a mix song of three to four dance hits so you can go potty !

L8r !

geposted Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 1:35 am
Also start with some popular dance music . Most DJ open with "Celeberation" , "Let's get this Party started "( Pink) , or BEP's "Let's get it started " . Spin 2-3 more and slow it down some . Sort of like a roller coaster ride. Up and down :-) Remember kids at raves can dance all night with few breaks . Aunt Mary need a break and maybe wants a slow dance once in a while :-)

Mix the safe techno and 'rave' stuff later in the night after the alcohol has been flowing and the older crowd has parted . All I can say it is a feel if you can or cannot pull it off with techno .
After the chicken dance , cha-cha , electric slide , hokey pokey and village people you will be busting to rip it but it is all about the bride and groom's wishes and the age group of the guests.

I run the Herc Mk2 and be careful and do not bump the jog wheels since they it ez to do .

I run a laptop and I find that a USB powered bendable laptop light helps to see in the dark ! If you have a Big Lots store , you can find a cheap one there .

As any DJ can attest , bring extra fuses !

Relax and have fun !

L8r

geposted Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 1:48 am
Wow, this is the kind of stuff I need. Thank you so much dj sinthetik. I love the premixed 3-4 song idea for the washroom break. I would only have thought about that when my bladder ruptures.

geposted Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 6:52 am
hemanHome userMember since 2005
lou bega also has some great stuff ...like mambo number 5 and mambo mambo
their floorfilas

geposted Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 9:17 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
macarena too lol :D

geposted Sat 23 Sep 06 @ 1:39 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)