Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Which of these 2 laptops?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Sorry I know there are loads of posts about this sort of thing but I'm about to buy a laptop to use with VDJ and Hercules Mk2 and want to make sure I don't buy the wrong one.

I was thinking of one of these two. Purely for basic audio mixing (no video).

Does anyone know of any reasons why either of these laptops would be no good?

Thanks for any comments.

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=363286&tab=specification

http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1451503628.1164386637@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddjhejhhimcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&sku=387548&tabIndex=1

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry discodave no email address is allowed from a demo user

geposted Fri 24 Nov 06 @ 6:21 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
oh my god buy neither if they are from pc world or commet

u get no support

and they generaly are poor builds

geposted Fri 24 Nov 06 @ 6:23 pm
Who do you get support from at these prices though? If you have recommendations I'm interested. These were the best specs I found for my £500 max.

Shouldn't need tech support, sort of know my way around a PC, only if the hardware actually becomes faulty.

Just how bad is it, I've only ever bought non PC electricals from them before. Always been fine, if it breaks they give you a new one. Maybe this is different for PCs?

geposted Fri 24 Nov 06 @ 6:29 pm
they both come with media center edition which causes many conflicts with audio hardware from what iv seen on here

id get the commet one if ur on a tight budget

the pc world ones not as good

but both of these laptops do not support video mixing

so i would buy another if you ever wana move to this in the future

geposted Fri 24 Nov 06 @ 6:34 pm
There seems to be a big jump in price to get one with a decent non shared graphics card. I'm really not interested in mixing video, this is really just for audio at a non-pro level.

I'd heard a few comments about Media Centre too but didn't think they were that serious. Are they?

Right, who can find me the best under £500 laptop then!

geposted Fri 24 Nov 06 @ 6:48 pm
get the commet one

and buy xp pro

and i think u can request a refund from microsoft

geposted Fri 24 Nov 06 @ 7:00 pm
The XP Pro refund thing sound interesting. Any idea where you heard about it?

I do have a full copy of XP Pro which is installed on my music PC but it's getting on a bit and i don't seem to be using it any more. I could always use that copy, probably with some messing around trying to validate it on a new machine!

geposted Fri 24 Nov 06 @ 7:22 pm
unfortuantely ms licence stays with the machine
so officaly u need to buy another copy

i have been told if you fax microsoft a request for a refund for the os on the machine they will consider the request

geposted Fri 24 Nov 06 @ 7:33 pm
Nothing is easy! I just want a basic laptop good enough to run a Mk2 on for audio only.

If I have to bu XP as well I might as well buy a different laptop!

Thanks for the advice though.

geposted Fri 24 Nov 06 @ 7:42 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

I like more the second laptop option, but none of them is a "recommended" option. Both must work with VDJ without a problem, but that's theory only. And OEM XP Pro must be in around $170 usd and XP home in around $90 usd. Any of them must be billed in the same invoice you have the laptop to be a valid OEM license to that laptop.

geposted Sat 25 Nov 06 @ 6:42 am
Why are they not 'recommended' other then not having dedicated graphics memory which I'm not concerned about as I'll only be mixing audio.

I'll probably have to find a non Media Centre laptop then but most new laptops seem to come with it, I'm having trouble finding one with XP Home or Pro.

Thanks for the reply.

geposted Sat 25 Nov 06 @ 9:29 am
How about this one?

Its £40-60 more and for a lower spec Pentium M CPU but it does seem to have a dedicated 256Mb graphics card and its ASUS which I've heard a few poeple mention are rated.

Do I need the latest high spec processor (Core Duo etc...) for VDJ, I've heard not.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=483538

Thanks again.

geposted Sat 25 Nov 06 @ 10:19 am
... I forgot it also has XP Pro.

geposted Sat 25 Nov 06 @ 10:21 am
that ones a bit better but it has no built in speakers

are you ok with that?

geposted Sat 25 Nov 06 @ 12:07 pm
No built in speakers is not a serious problem but would be nice for other stuff. Obviosly I won't be using VDJ wth the built in speakers!

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice, I thought all laptops would have some sort of speakers!

I'm not really up on laptops as you can telln not really a fan but I'd like a mobile setup, I've always built my own desktops.

geposted Sat 25 Nov 06 @ 1:10 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)