Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Gig Pricing

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Guys. I know it's been asked a few times, but I just wanted to bring it up to date a bit. How do you charge for your gigs? Do you base this on what you offer from a performance point of view or do you provide whatever they want on the night (be it video, etc) and charge on a 'get what you pay for' basis?

I have a general charging structure:

• Kid's Party - Between £75 and £95 usually ($150-$190 usd, €115-€150)
  • Christenings/Communions - £120 usually ($235 usd, €185)
  • Outdoor gigs (BBQ's, house party's etc) - £130 ($255 usd, €200)
  • 18th's, 21st's, 30th's, other birthdays - £140/145 ($275-$285 usd, €210-€220)
  • Engagement Parties - £150 ($295 usd, €230)
  • Weddings - £160 ($310 usd, €240)

I use this as a rough guide, and may add extra as need be depending on travel expenses and finishing time- generally charging more if it's after midnight.

Do these prices sound reasonable? Reason I'm asking is someone has just cancelled their wedding booking with me cos I was charging £160. They've managed to get it for like half the price. Not that I mind so much as I believe the other guy is undercutting himself (and also believe that if someone phoned him the day before and offered him £150 to do a birthday party or something, he'd jump at the chance) so more fool him. Pricing is such a delicate issue and with the amount of competition around you still want to make some money (especially if it's your livelihood) without overpricing anything, and putting people off.

I wouldn't have thought these prices were too excessive, but feel free to post your opinions and comments.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

geposted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 1:27 pm
You're kids party and outdoor gig pricing are reasonable (remember, it's also dependent on the demand that you have and the visibility and credibility that you have in your area), but the more formal events (ALL the other ones you posted) are WAY underpriced as far as I'm concerned.

You also have to factor in competition that will undercut you if they're not credible. This has ALWAYS been a problem, but to them I just simply inform the client that "they get what they pay for". I've had MANY customers who have contacted me and chose some other "new kid on the block" and were absolutely dissapointed with the decision. I've even gotten phone calls back from customers after the event that I barely even knew, if at all, just to tell me that they regretted the decision. They're the really cool ones because they'll always refer me afterwards.

I would have to be feeling EXTREMELY generous to do any of those events for as little as twice as much as what yuo have listed, triple would be my pricing for repeat customers and direct friinds/relatives, and anywhere halfway between 3 nad closer to 4 times what you have listed would be my rate for a word of mouth referral.

I've been spinning since '87 though, and although I for the most part have been booked every weekend (with the exception of the past year that I have taken a break for various reasons), I have never even had a business card.

I get mostly referrals and bookings from patrons at the clubs that I spin at, so when they call I assure them that I'm gonna handle they're event profesionally during the prelimanary part of the event, but they KNOW that I'm gonna "rock" the event when the dance floor opens up. =)

geposted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 2:38 pm
In my neck of the woods prices are much higher and I too pretty much book as much as I want to. I even tok down most of my advertising being it is not needed any more. All word of mouth and friends. But my basic wedding package starts at 900.00 for four hours, $1150.00 for five. Parties average $650.00 for four hours without extras. All USD.

geposted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 3:00 pm
I'm very impressed with your pricing range gents! In all honesty, I'm a bit apprehensive about charging more. I sometimes think to myself that charging megabucks really puts people off. I really think I'd be very hard pushed to find someone who would pay up to £450 for a dj for an 18th birthday!!!

Anyway, I agree with what you say about demand in my area etc. I believe you can charge more if you are the only dj in the area, although I don't believe this should be the basis of a business.

I'm sure i have plenty competition around my area, but I also agree that people 'get what they pay for', and if you offer to do a wedding for like £80, not only are you undercutting yourself, but future bookings via word of mouth would undoubtedly expect a similair price range. So all in all, it's false economy.

In any case, if I'd agreed to do a wedding for £80 and someone came along and asked me to do a birthday for twice that amount on the same night, I'm sure I'd be tempted. In all honesty though, I wouldn't cancel on the original booking, cos once I'm booked for a night, I'm booked. I stick by that principal and have never cancelled on a customer. I believe that's good business practice.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Please keep posting comments.

(",)

P

geposted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 3:09 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi Pionara,
What part of England are you from? I really think your pricing is too cheap, if your a good DJ and charging those prices you could soon find yourself gigging every night. But I think you'd prefer to gig less and make more?

Basically I consider the first hundred pounds as an expenses charge, this is considering the needs of equipment, They'll want a good sound and light show, and the quality equipment doesn't come cheap, then their is the cost of transporting your equipment, the cost of music which you've collected for years, and any other extra costs the Gig could cause you to incur . Where could you hire all this equipment and Music from? for less than £100?

Then there's your Fee, the money your charging to stand up there and DJ for 4-5 Hours, often during weekends at unsociable hours, are you skilled? if you consider yourself better than the competition then this should be evident in your pricing.

I'd say a good minimum wage for a DJs fee (in the UK) would be about £20 p/h, then add Equipment/Music hire + Expenses, so providing you are supplying all equipment (Amp, PA, Mixer, Decks/computer, lights etc), your minimum fee is already at £180, call it £200. Charge extras from this base rate.

That was the good news, the bad news is that you still have to pay Tax.

geposted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 8:47 pm
Pionara. I think you are a bit on the low side. Try putting your prices up a tenner or so every few months. Especially the wedding. Around here in North UK ~£250 is minimum for a wedding. up to £400 is OK for a good rig but the hotel manager may want a cut of that.

Often I've found that a higher price can make people more happy to book me. People don't want to take risks with big events and are happy to pay for reliability, class, flair and a good attitude. I've often tended to offer to do a gig myself for a highish fee, or supply another DJ for a lower price. I just offer the gig to a mate if I don't want it. People usually want to book me first, because they want to feel that they're getting the best, even if my mate may be just as good. It's a bit like hairdressers where you can book a regular stylist or the top guy. Who's to say which is the best?? Because they are paying more people are sure they are getting what they want.

Let the low priced DJs work for nothing. If the client wants to pay peanuts, they get what they deserve.

geposted Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 11:23 pm
400 pounds is how many dollars???

geposted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 12:25 am
aprox $800.00 cdn

geposted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 1:01 am
Oh my God!! How can you even be IN BUSINESS at those (way too low) rates!?!?!?

My monthly business expenses are over $1000 (insurance, vehicle, equipment, phones, advertising, etc.) and that's not even counting MUSIC which is about another $50-100 a month (yes, I know... Silly me, I BUY my music)...

At those rates I would have to do, what, 4-5 weddings a month just to meet my expenses?!? Ouch...

Our rates start at $1195 for a 4 hour event and go up from there... Average is about $1495...

It seems to me that most DJs who *think* they are in business really are just hobbyists... Meaning that they think they are making money, but if they did a proper business plan they would find out they were actually LOSING money...

Why do I say this? Because many years ago *I* was that DJ!!

I used to charge $125 an hour which I THOUGHT was good money!! Until I realized that if I tracked *ALL* my expenses and counted *ALL* my hours (not just the ones while performing, but the 30+ hours a week I spend working on my business) then I found out I was only making about $2 (US) per hour!

Now I do MUCH better... :)

Weird thing happened when I raised my rates way up too...

I lost about 1/3rd of my business... :( Opps, but did I mention that I made MORE money per event?!? Which meant even MORE money with less work!! :)

Oh, and even stranger... My clients are better!! Not so many wankers and complainers anymore... It's great!! They just say things like "Well, you're the professional... Whatever you think is best..."

I LOVE IT!!

See you all at MobileBeat in Las Vegas next month!! I'll be one of the guys working at the DJ Cruise booth...

DJAlan - Amazing Sounds
http://www.burnlounge.com/amazingsounds
watch the commercial at the bottom if you like...

geposted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 3:57 am
That's about the same here in Edmonton Alberta.

$600.00 - $1500.00 CDN seems to be the norm.

I'm going to be doing a "mystery shop" in the next little while.

Gonna get my GF to call around to various Dj services and verify prices.

I'm almost set to go "independant" after many years nightclubing and sub-contracting for the very same dj service companies that I'm going to be compeating against.

Gonna be tough for the first year I think.

geposted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 4:04 am
Yeah, I'd feel bad for the customers if I charged Pionara's prices... because first I'd do the gig, and then I would have to kill them for paying me too little even though I set the price too low myself.

=P

geposted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 7:40 am
Average earnings for an absolutely run of the mill full time mobile DJ would be around £35000 to £45,000 a year in the UK after expenses but before tax based roughly on the prices I gave above.

Average earnings for a man in the UK are £25324 before tax, so a regular mobile DJ who has built up a reasonable busines is doing OK, enjoying what they do and working less hours than the average person.

The sky is the limit for prices if you invest in better lighting and sound, provide marquees, dance floors, book other DJs and get a good reputation.

I've found that the only way to get prices up is to hype the customer. Be a bit like Conquest, in a nice way tell the client and audience that they have got the best. I've done that and before you know it you get a following, then people want to hire you and another hundred or so isn't important to them.

My most successful gig ever was in the roughest toughest biggest pub in town, completely multi-racial, fair bit of drug culture going down. I offered to send a DJ from what ConQuest might call 'my crew' but said I would do the gig myself for a high price. Result they booked me. I gave them a great night and with 2 months of doing the gig regularly I had doubled the money. It absolutely bounced, cos I knew what to give the crowd.

I did a children's party at that venue for free on Christmas Eve and they passed the hat round - I could hardly carry the money bag. Followed up with a great Christmas Eve gig at top rate, got stopped by the Police on my way home but because I was sober got sent home with a Merry Christmas from them.

I've found that asking for big money makes me work harder and give an even better night, which leads to better money.

An old friend of mine who had DJed for 30 odd years like me, in clubs and mobile won't go out for under £1200 a night. He's a better DJ than me in a smashy nicey way whereas I'm more the Chris Moyles type. Higher prices come with confidence but it's hard to raise them once people know what you work for once you've set your prices too low.

Remember theres a lot of people with a lot of money who will part with it pretty easily if they want what you've got.

My wife used to run a dress shop. Often she had a dress that wouldn't sell so she would increase the price and put it in a prominent position. Resulted 95% of the time in a quick sale.

A

geposted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 11:13 am
Woah, woah, woah...time out, guys!!!

Ok...so you all pretty much agree that my prices are mince. Ok, i take your comments on board. To answer some of the points raised.

I live in a town outside Glasgow in Scotland. I provide all my own equipment and with the up and coming purchase of a DJ business (8 weeks and counting), my equipment will be better. Amazingsounds - I too buy all my own music.

As for expenses and stuff, well, I can appreciate that my expenses will go up very shortly. With the purchase of the business I will have accumulated 7 'sets' of equipment, which will allow me up to 7 different gigs a night. If I was to say an average of 8 main functions a weekend and considering the quiz work as well, i would be looking at annual gross of £79,000 (before expenses and tax), which I think is rather a good figure. However, judging by what some of you guys are saying I'll be looking to increase my prices - quicksmart!!!

I still stand by my statement though. I'd be hard pushed to find someone who would pay £450 for an 18th birthday party...although there is alot of competition in my area.

(",)

P

geposted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 11:29 am
You're going to do well Pionara. You can only charge what the market will stand, though, that's why I suggested a gradual increase in your prices. You're dead right that £450 is rare for an 18th in the UK unless you are using a big rig with a top light show. There are parents who will pay that though if their kid wants it. Some of the big houses around where I live will lavish their spoilt daughters and sons to compete with their neighbours.

Theres a difference between doing your own gigs and running an agency type operation. If you have 7 rigs out you can't expect them all to be at top price. It's better to have a DJ out working and bringing you £80 than the rig sitting in your garage. The equipment is a sunk cost, so it might as well earn.

I think there is a lot of hype about prices. There was a thread on the Pioneer forum in 2004. A lot of the US club DJs were working for low money on there. There's a link here.
http://forums.pioneerdj.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5871012904/m/3971071014/p/4

I worked clubs for a few years and got good pay because I was booked through an agent who thought highly of me and marketed me well. But I had 15% to pay him and some venues were a bit crap. Travelled all over the N of England. In a lot of cases it's who you know.

also look at
http://www.discjockey101.com/aug2001.html

The great thing about DJing though is that you have the days free to do other things like studying, sleeping, sports, etc.

geposted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 1:05 pm
Thanks asymptote. Thought I was getting boo'ed off the forum there!!!

Hehehehe...(",)

P

geposted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 5:19 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)