Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What should I check next 2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I disconnected the power,, put a jumper between middle and 3rd pin for a minute.. 3rd pin had a arrow pointing at it.. Removed the jumper.. Connected the cables and powered back up….

Same thing,, The screen tun black flickers, then a less blacker screen,, like a hazy black and hangs

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 7:26 pm
I'm sorry, but I am confused about your problem. Could you please state your problem, so that we can understand what is wrong. Let me just speak for my self, I don't understand what the problem is.

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 7:36 pm
The computer will not boot up.. Usually the first thing I see is a intel screen and so on…
I power up the computer,,, it brings up on the screen something like press F4 to enter raid,, then the screen flickers and turn a black,, not a deep black color.. And it hangs..
TopHouse suggested

I would'nt think it's the CPU or you would get beeps. As it is is doesn't seem to be posting properly. Ignore the advice above for the moment re removing cmos battery. Get hold of the manual for the board, if you don't have it, look on the manufacturers website for a copy. What you need to find is the "clear cmos" jumper. You need to disconnect ALL (remove power plug from wall socket) power from the board before you do this.

If you dont find a manual. Disconect all power, look on the board for 3 pins in a row with a jumper joining two of them, like this o-o o Sometimes you are lucky and the jumper identifies itself by being white instead of the usual black. Usually it will say in very small letters "cmos" or "clear cmos" now with all power removed, you need to move the jumper so it joins the other two pins, ie the middle one and the one it isnt currently connected to. Leave it there for 30 seconds then put it back how it was. Then power the system back up again.

You only use the "remove battery" advice above if you have a board with no "clear cmos" jumper.

The above will revert the board to all factory default settings so you will have to enter your bios and re-enter cpu settings etc after you have done it.

I believe I did it correctly but the same thing happened.. What do you think???

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 8:01 pm
I see you have this topic somewhere else. If a mod could move this, that would help.

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 8:18 pm
any Idears that might help me..

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 8:25 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Do you hear the hard drive spin up and see activity lights during boot up?

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 8:46 pm
yup

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 8:48 pm
mp3jrick wrote :
Do you hear the hard drive spin up and see activity lights during boot up?

do I need the drive hooked up to get into use F4 or F8?????

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 8:50 pm
Its gotta be hooked up for it to spin up, I just wanted to know that is getting power and is turning.
Usually you will hear a high freq spinning noise.
The chassis drive lights will blink when its booting from the drive.
You can check bios set up and make sure it's trying to boot from the correct drive, follow the path to set up from the bios page f8 or del or what ever, then find the boot tab and look at the boot order and make sure it's looking for the c drive 1st.

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 10:29 pm
mp3jrick wrote :
Its gotta be hooked up for it to spin up, I just wanted to know that is getting power and is turning.
Usually you will hear a high freq spinning noise.
The chassis drive lights will blink when its booting from the drive.
You can check bios set up and make sure it's trying to boot from the correct drive, follow the path to set up from the bios page f8 or del or what ever, then find the boot tab and look at the boot order and make sure it's looking for the c drive 1st.

yes I hear the hard drive spin up and see activity lights during boot up.
BUT,, It will not let me go to the bios... it stops and blank screen... It's not like a black blank,, It looks like the screen is lite slightly.. very very very dim.. I've seen this before with bad ied cables but the cable is brand new yesterday

geposted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 10:43 pm
Is this onboard video or a separate card?

geposted Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 12:02 am
separate card

Motherboard
Intel BOXD955XBKLKR 955XE P4/P4EE/Pentium XE LGA775 1066FSB DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail
800/1066FSB, ATA/100, 4DDR2 DIMM, 2 PCI Express x16, 1 PCI Express x1, 3 PCI, USB 2.0, Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/SATA

Processor
Intel Pentium® 4 631 Processor Prescott 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2MB

Ram
OCZ OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Enhanced Latency Gold Edition Dual Channel Memory

Video Card
Sapphire Radeon X1600 PRO PCI Express 512MB DDR2 Video Card w/TV-Out, DVI & VGA

geposted Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 12:30 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Disconnect RAID HDs and try to boot from the Windows CD. Repair RAID software (drivers) and retry

geposted Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 10:13 am
djdad wrote :
Disconnect RAID HDs and try to boot from the Windows CD. Repair RAID software (drivers) and retry

Sorry but the computer doesn’t get that far to be able to choose what I can boot from..
When I power up the PC I get a black screen with righting that ask press F4 to enter raid but if try to enter F4, F8 just let the computer continue to boot up,,,, the very next thing that is I seen on the monitor every time is a slight flicker and the screen is not a black screen ,, this is hard to explain but I’ll do my best,, the screen turn not a blank black but a light black with a dim halo of light,, nothing after that, the computer stops proceeding to the F4, F8 or anything ,, Just stops there.. Will not proceed to bios nothing… I’ve tried clear cmose, removing the battery, replacing power cord to motherboard, disconnecting everything on the board reconnecting the one at a time, ,,,..
The ram seem ok.. I can’t tell if the cpu is ok,, the drive cable is new but that doesn’t matter for the computer doesn’t get far enough to load windows…. Video cable to monitor is tight all cable are ok,,,
I need to test the cpu, video card first to see if they are bad..

geposted Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 3:07 pm
paulettecerra wrote :
djdad wrote :

Sorry but the computer doesn’t get that far to be able to choose what I can boot from..
When I power up the PC I get a black screen with righting that ask press F4 to enter raid but if try to enter F4, F8 just let the computer continue to boot up,,,, the very next thing that is I seen on the monitor every time is a slight flicker and the screen is not a black screen ,, this is hard to explain but I’ll do my best,, the screen turn not a blank black but a light black with a dim halo of light,, nothing after that, the computer stops proceeding to the F4, F8 or anything ,, Just stops there.. Will not proceed to bios nothing… I’ve tried clear cmose, removing the battery, replacing power cord to motherboard, disconnecting everything on the board reconnecting the one at a time, ,,,..
The ram seem ok.. I can’t tell if the cpu is ok,, the drive cable is new but that doesn’t matter for the computer doesn’t get far enough to load windows…. Video cable to monitor is tight all cable are ok,,,
I need to test the cpu, video card first to see if they are bad..

geposted Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 7:16 pm
All things considered at this point, you gotta take a step back and look at this whole thing.
1) how old are the components
2) is it worth fixing based on that because it really can be a case of "what's next"

Like anything you gotta take a look at components to see what is working and what isn't.
Power supply is working.
Screen is functioning.
Drive spins up but the system isn't getting even to the set up page of the bios.
The cmos has been reset and re powered the mother board by removing and replacing the battery.
So I guess the first thing that I would do is take the drive and try to read it in an enclosure to see if it is readable.
Evaluate the mother board by searching the internet for other user difficulties such as yours.
Look at the board and get the manufacturer's name and number off it and plug it into google, then look for geek forums.
Plug it into Newegg and see what others have done and had for problems.
If you see common deficiencies with other users, chuck it and build a system.

If its more than 2 years old its not worth fixing with the cost of a fresh build up.
I just built an Asus shortie last week that only cost $149 for the bare bones unit, with 512 stick of premium memory and shipping it came to $212.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856110047
Its even gone down another 10 bucks.

We re used the drive, both the cd and dvd decks and I had an Athelon 64 single core processor that just came out of my dj system that is now 1/4 of what I paid for it at $45 bucks.
Found a stock XP home os on ebay for $75 and for under $400 bucks we had a killer little system with all the latest shit a non bloat ware os and super onboard sound and video card.
Sure you could buy another $400 wonder emachine off BB and throw it away after the first gig it screws up at, or you could build yourself a system you don't have to worry about.
Now this was just a home use internet bitch, not a dj system, but you get the idea.

So before you pound too much sand up your arse over this, consider your options.
The clock is running.

You can spend more, and I would.
My Shuttle system ran me $2500 with 2tb of sata storage but I do video that demands it.

geposted Sat 03 Mar 07 @ 10:35 pm

geposted Sun 04 Mar 07 @ 1:09 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)