Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Some mpgs only partially load??

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

salusPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi there folks.

I've been operating VDJ for a while now and after a bit of mucking around, finally thought everything had been sorted. But then today, the program mysteriously wouldn't open - I received a message something like "Internal database corrupted". Hmm..... I then uninstalled VDJ entirely from my system and reinstalled it (version 4.3).

But now I'm finding that while most of the mpg files in my database load fine, some do not. Perhaps only 5 or 10 seconds of the song will play before the system crashes. One can visually see on the deck that only a fraction of the song has in fact loaded, so they have to quickly be replaced with a correctly loading mpg. Yet these songs use to play fine in the original 4.3 version of VDJ that had been uninstalled.

The codec used to run these is Windows Mediaplayer. I tried using other video decoders with no success.

Has anyone any idea why some mpgs load up fine whilst others do not? This is especially puzzling as just a week or two ago, all these songs worked fine with VDJ. I'm running a high quality video card with a dual core processor and 2gb of ram. Analysing the song files makes no difference.

The second question is why would the internal database of VDJ suddenly become corrupted, after working fine for a good while? It's always been closed down properly at the end of a gig, that is, the computer is always shut down properly.

Cheers
Barry

geposted Sun 06 May 07 @ 2:43 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
It happens sometimes when VDJ is not shut down properly or some weird file name gets in the database. You should use runVDJ to try to repair your database before uninstall, get it here. Your database is in Virtual Dj folder, named "VirtualDj Database (your Win account name).xml, backup this often.
About the video, give us your PC specs and what type of Mpeg you are playing (where did ya get it and what program did you used to make them).

geposted Sun 06 May 07 @ 4:28 pm
Thanks heaps for this advice, DJ-Alf. I've taken note of it for the future.

As it's turned out though, in relation to the problem of mpgs not loading properly, I noticed the problem ones all seemed to be over 5 minutes in length. So I raised the maximum load time in my options settings from 5 up to 15 minutes and hey presto!, the problem was resolved.

In relation to the problem of the database becoming corrupted, this probably was caused by the fact that recently I had renamed several hundred mpg files without then bothering to have VDJ reanalyse them.

To digress, one common piece of advice given here is for users to untick safe mode and overclocking in their settings, with latency set to auto. I've wondered if this is so, what's the purpose of safe mode & overclocking, that is, what benefits do they give leaving them checked? Should most people leave them ticked - or unticked? Anyone have any ideas on this?

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions how to politely yet forcefully tell someone "No way!", when they keep pestering you to play a song (or songs) that you know will kill the dance floor. Especially when this pest shouting in your ear every 5 minutes is a close relative of the person that paid you to do the gig!

Thanks again, DJ-Alf.

geposted Mon 07 May 07 @ 5:08 am
So it was Max preload than? Nice ;)
It doesn't matter if you change the name of the track, VDJ still knows it has be analyzed. Just don't change it's size or add tags because it will change crc check which VDJ uses to identify files.
About Safemode and Overclock, well everyone should try what suits best for them. Safemode is made to insure stable use and should avoid skips (but consumes more CPU power). Overclock is made strictly for sound cards, sometimes sound card is not up to the task (usually with low latency it cannot play) and than you can avoid this with overclock. Sometimes work, sometimes don't ;)
Well, I am a DJ for 13 years now and I can advise you what to do. First, make a arrangement with the boss/gig owner to let you make the party. If someone asks, you say the boss doesn't approve that song. Simply. You can say you will play it later and he/she will stop asking but if it do, you say you searched and, what a bummer, you don't have that song ;) The solutions are endless, just be polite and smile :))
Hope this helps.

geposted Mon 07 May 07 @ 11:29 am
Thanks again for the info, DJ-Alf. I'll keep this on file for future reference. Good advice also about how to handle those annoying party pests that want you to play a Snoop Dogg type of song in amongst Grease megamix type material. Most people don't realise how hard it is for a DJ to try to keep everyone happy.

It took me a while to find the right componentry for VDJ but now that I found it, it works fine. If ever a program crash occurs these days, it's due to incorrect loading of a song file, rather than the DJ program itself.

My only request that I put to the VDJ team some time ago now was the ability for users to widen the song scroll bar down the bottom, to make it less fiddly to work with. I received an answer this mod may come online in the future, so here's hoping. Other menu items are user adjustable, but not the scoll bar width for some reason.

Thanks again, DJ-Alf.

geposted Tue 08 May 07 @ 2:30 pm
No problem, glad I could help ;)
Have a nice mix :)

geposted Wed 09 May 07 @ 5:55 am
This post just saved me some headache! thanks gents!

geposted Sun 22 Dec 13 @ 3:45 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)