Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DMC2 w/ full Cue on Macbook - help

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I hope I didn't make a mistake. I purchased the DMC2 and the full version of Cue to use
with my macbook. I have been searching through this forum for some assistance, and still having some performance issues. So much so, that I have held out using this new setup live. I have also applied some "tricks" like turning off dashboard; locking the dock, etc... but without prevail.

Please, I just need some advice or direction to execute this setup correctly.

Current setup: (meets requirements)

* Mac OSX 10.4.10
* Mac/Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz
* Sound card with multiple sets of outputs (ESI U46DJ (now powered)
* 1 GB RAM
* Available USB port (USB 2.0)
* 3 gigs free on the hard-drive

Now, the USB port has a portable 4 port non-powered hub; however, the DMC2 is ac powered; LaCie 500g USB (ac powered); laser mouse (non-powered); and laptop cooler USB (non-powered)

At least twice a week I run disc utilities and "erase" to clean up any possible fragmented files as well. I have asked some other pro's in our area, one has suggested that I loose the cooler and mouse and buy a FireWire drive/and a powered USB hub. My question, is that even though the DMC2, the external hard drive and controller are ac powered, do I still need a powered hub? Would this make the difference? I would like to know before start buying more to make this work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I have four gigs this week and it would be great to feel confident in the setup. I have been using pcdj since it was released; But I have always been a Mac user; and Cue seemed to be the right upgrade choice. I just need something I can rely on—thus the reason for the mac.

My apologies for the novel, but is there going to be a Cue version upgrade as there is
one for VDJ 5.0?

Thanks!

Lotuviper7

geposted Wed 15 Aug 07 @ 7:54 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
what sort of performance issues
try this , on options , look on the performance tab , set it to fastest and try autolatency

there will be a free update for cue users to V5 but the mac update will be released after the windows update

geposted Wed 15 Aug 07 @ 8:01 pm
Thanks skyfxl for responding so quickly. I will try this tonight.

As far as performance issue, I would search a song; load and play it. As that was playing, I searched for another track to mix; go to load the track—the music would hesitate and sometimes just "mute" for a second or so—but enough to be noticed by the waitstaff. Luckily, it was the very beginning of the night with only a few guest.

At one point, I got the "beach ball" busy icon and the music stopped -- luckily I had I "hot switched" the mixer to my PC rack mount with PCDJ to continue the gig. I'm racking my brain—there is nothing else to my knowledge that is running in the background.

I don't understand, two days prior to this gig, I spent at least three hours each day with the full setup without hesitation or any other issues.

It was also suggested to me to download "Onyx"? for the Mac—it came from a realiable TV sports broadcaster digital editor engineer. It suppose to finetune the performance of OSX.
But was wondering if anyone had any input, use or knowledge of this program.

geposted Wed 15 Aug 07 @ 8:47 pm
il check it out some of those tools can cause serious damage

how hot does the mac get through the gig?

geposted Wed 15 Aug 07 @ 8:57 pm
That's the thing, I haven't been able to play an entire night as of yet. I recently purchased a Marathon Rack 4U with the slide laptop platform. (Awesome!) But the platform is carpeted, so I researched and picked up an usb aluminum laptop cooler. (not much out there as far as good products, however, this seemed to keep the laptop much cooler than nothing at all)

Those two times I mention before when I went through that test period before going on the road—the laptop did heat up; thus my concern for the cooler but I didn't have any issues during those testing sessions.

My AC power adapter for my macbook heats up as well, even though I have it ventilated; and the LaCie tends to warm a little as well. I'm looking into getting a small rackmount fan to help keep the air circulating.

I just set those options in preferences; I will test it later today before my gig tonight and
try it out. Again, I appreciate your time and input.

Lotusviper7

geposted Wed 15 Aug 07 @ 9:28 pm
skyfxl,

So, I applied your suggested settings within VDJ/CUE on the <Macbook> in regards to performance and auto latencey,
The result was the software still freezing up and then crashing. My conclusion is that there maybe possibly something
related to the my mackbook itself.

So, without further time invested, I purchased a Macbook Pro this weekend. Updated OSX to 10.4.10, installed
Cue and test drove it. All is great, except NOW, the ESI U46Dj is not correctly splitting the channels correctly! Even with a
reboot the left and right for deck A; Channel 1 on my external mixer is also playing through Channel 2; designated for deck B

I have searched the forum for issues with this sound card, however it seems that those issues are XP and Vista
related and not Mac. Is this even a soundcard issue or VDJ software?

Help -- are there any know issues and any further advice?

Lotusviper7

geposted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 3:47 pm
what soundconfig have you set?

geposted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 6:45 pm
Headset and mixer; 4:1 soundcard; selected the U46dj as output; then the 1&2 channels/3&4 channels

This is the same selection I had on the Macbook which worked fine--as far as splitting the sound into the correct channels.

geposted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 6:57 pm
do you have the latest drivers?

does it have a control pannel for the driver in which to change the channels
if not it may be nessary go to into core audio settings , which is a tool in the utilities folder of your aplications folder

and asign channels manualy

geposted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 7:39 pm
did you try using 2 cards setting vs 4.1 channel sound card setting? that's how I have my u46dj setup on my pc

geposted Tue 18 Sep 07 @ 11:14 pm
xspotxPRO InfinityMember since 2005
it bothers me they still don't have an asio driver for the u46dj for max OS X available. now that we have the mac version, maybe you virtualdj guys can write the ESI guys that their soundcard is heavily used by virtualdj users & that they demand a driver? would probably be more powerfull if it comes from a software company as well than just the users...

geposted Wed 03 Oct 07 @ 5:24 pm

I know I should be on the Numark site, but I just feel like "this is a safe place. A place where we can feel free sharing our feelings. Think of my office as a nest in a tree of trust and understanding...."

"...and I started feeling... what? what I thought we were in the trust tree.....in the nest....., were we not?"

Here's an update:

The end results with the MacBook was not reliable enough for me. Being the die hard Mac Guy—I ended up purchasing a new MacBook Pro, the u46dj works fine—after I purchased and applied a power supply for the sound card. Now, just waiting for the Mac Cue 5 to fix the bugs and challenges that we all face together...

MacBook Pro
Cue 4.3
LaCie external 500G USB
DMC2

Still having issues with software freezing, but not as bad as with the macbook even with the memory upgrades to 1.5g.

So, my questions:

"should I use firewire drive instead of USB for better results?"

"Should I add another gig of memory to the MBP?"

Hell, I have invested so much already—why stop now?

I have the other MacBook on standby, in case I need to switch fast. Waiting patiently for the Mac update.

I would like to chat with any other Djs that has this particular setup with the DMC2, Macbook Pro, Cue 4.3 soon to be 5.
Had I known now, I would of just purchased VDJ rather than Cue.

"You think I like avoiding my wife and kids to hangout with nineteen year old girls everyday"

geposted Wed 03 Oct 07 @ 8:48 pm
I have a MBP 17 inch and I use VDJ not Cue, and have never had a problem. I also have the DMC2 and I use a USB 500 gig. I think your problem might be the Cue and nothing else... not to rip on numark, but they weren't the first with the software and maybe messed something up in the conversion. Mine works great. I have had two crashes with hundreds of DJ'ing and KJ'ing hours. It was for some reason when I was trying to manually tap a tempo, both times it crashed. The software is still buggy, and if VDJ is still buggy, then Cue is going to be even buggier. I hate to say it but that is the only thing that makes sense to me. Mac is really reliable and the software is usually the same. Especially using a new MBP you should have NO issues with the software, unless the software itself has issues. The DMC2 should work great too.

P.s. don't flame me for being unregistered.... I work for a DJ company and they bought the software.

Matt

geposted Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 10:16 am
Thanks Matt for you input—at least I know now that I am not alone running this setup—though seems that I need to buy VDJ to resolve
most of my current issues.

I think I'm done with Cue.This is just way too ludicrous, buggy and unreliable. Went to start the introductions of wedding party this weekend—Cue crashed/froze just as I began. Knowing about not be able to rely completely on this software—I had the Macbook (not the MBP) on standby with the tracks ready.

Switched over last minute and ended up having to engage the old rackmount PC with PCDJ just to get through the rest of the reception. Luckily no one had an idea as to what was happening.

19 years in the business and I have always thought that upgrading/keeping current, investing back into the business is suppose to make
the executing and production process easier. I feel like I have invested all this money and time only to have taken 12 steps backwards.

geposted Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 5:14 pm
hang in there the mac v5 update is comming very soon for cue and will have many improvments

geposted Mon 08 Oct 07 @ 9:23 pm
swingyHome userMember since 2009
this is a scary little thread. did it ever get resolved? was it indeed cue at fault?

geposted Wed 15 Apr 09 @ 8:21 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The thread is 2 years old ... the DMC-2 works with the latest Mac version.

geposted Wed 15 Apr 09 @ 9:09 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)