Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Timecode mixing problem

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi there,

last weekend i did a longer session using timecodes only and what to say, it wasn`t that much fun. Why ? The pitch glitches away again and again, you think you have it 100% matched, then it goes a little offbeat so you put the pitch down or up a minimum - stable for some beats, then away again, makes it really hard to mix.

I`m not using any "bedroom" turntables, i speak about Technics MKII.
Is this related to the "pitch smoothing" (i think its called like that) setting into VDJ ?
Can somebody recommend a good setting ? Of course i would like to have it "original" (= real vinyl) as possible, i tried some other setting but it didn`t help at all.

TIA !

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 11:56 am
I have a similar problem which I have put down to warped vinyl, even though a rival software works with these same vinyl and there is no drift whatsoever. I have my pitch sensitivity set to 90ms because I like a rapid response from the keylock feature when I am changing pitch. One side of my vinyl work ok with VirtualDJ and the other side, mixing is simply impossible. Both sides, if configured seperately, work fine in the other software.

geposted Fri 17 Aug 07 @ 7:09 pm
I wouldn't really no your configurations but if i did i would most likely no your problem

geposted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 4:06 am
Can`t follow you right now, but i think you want to know about my configuration:

- MAudio Conectiv USB Interface
- 2x Technis MK2
- VDJ 4.3 Pro
- Pioneer DJM 500

I simply think that this a VDJ configuration issue since pitch sensetivy is part of the software. It might be no issue if you don`t do beatmatching, but i do since i`m mixing Trance

geposted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 11:18 am
A way to test if it's the software/vinyl vs over reliance on the softwares pitch readout is to have your pitch on 0% and start playing a track through the tcv (have the tcv set to absolute). The moment that the track starts playing, unset tcv control in the skin. Now both your tcv and vdj should be playing at the same time, although neither is currently affected by each other. After around three minutes, reactive tcv control in the skin. If you hear any skips whatsoever, and look at the duration bar and it's jumped up something like a second - then I think your vinyl are probably dodgy. A second increase over 3 minutes on a 134bpm track is 2 whole beats out! Although my vinyl seem to work better in certain areas than the rest of it.

geposted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 11:57 am
Thanks Andrew, i will check this for sure.

However maybe there`s somebody who can tell us about the pitch setting into VDJ, i think it`s the same as into Torq (M-Audio`s "on board" software). There you need to do some adjustment of the original config files cause the default setting makes your pitch sensitive as hell.

geposted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 12:50 pm
BishPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Not sure if this helps but I had a similar issue last weekend.

My setup is 2xCDJ1000mk3, DJM800 mixer, maya44 soundcard and I'm using 2xTCcd's.

I found that if i didn't have the tempo on 0% and master tempo off (I even went for activating tempo reset) on cdj's before I loaded virtual dj 4.3 then I would be eternaly stuck with above mentioned issue.

So to fix I always made sure I had cdj's set before loading VDJ.

geposted Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 3:41 pm
This is a very a good question as it still pops up in all other vjd pro users. Ok, well first off I would encourage all of you to read the tutorial I have in the hardware section of the forum called, "TCV a basic setup" and it will explain in detail what I have it set as and where it will work. Now going to one of the other users who posted they have M-Audio, I too have M-Audio and Torq, and to be honest after comparing the two, I still feel very comfortable with VDJ. I ran a bunch of tests to see what works better. Now Torq is better because it picks up right away while in VDJ you have to mess with the settings a little bit.

As for the pitch goes, the reason you may have that problem is due to the latency, preset, and the vinyl control "smart, absolute, relative" setting in VDJ.

For example I will briefly describe my setup.
Two Vestax PDX2000's mk2's,
Numark DXM-06 Mixer
Maudio Connectiv,
Yamaha300preamp mixer,
HerculesMK2 Midi Controller
1000watt speakers
80watt computer speakers

Also check your connections. This is how I have mine setup. IF you own the M-Audio Connective and the hercules, its like having three sound cards. 1 sound card from M-Audio, 1 sound card from Hercules MK2, and 1 soundcard built into your desktop or laptop which is called the A97Audio, or something like that. You can locate it in your startbar, control options, sound, hardware, and it will show.

The hardware connections from the M-Audio to the TCV's. are pretty simple. For instance you need about atleast 5 or 6 pairs of RCA. For you guys I will recommend 4 Pairs of RCA then start connectiing!! lol,

First plug a pair of RCA into Deck A or Input A then the other end of the RCA will go into your turntable. Then for your second Turntable connect that into Deck B or Input B of your M-Audio Soundcard, while the other end of the RCA goes into your second turntable.

(ok, break), lol, take a minute to breathe, i promise this won't so horribly overwhelming for you. =)

Ok now take your third pair of RCA and connect that into Deck AA or Ouput A in your M-Audio Soundcard while the other end goes into LINE-IN of your mixer on channel one. Now remeber to put the button or switch on LINE-IN of your mixer. Now for your fourth pair of RCA connect that into DECK BB or OUTPUT B of your M-Audio Soundcard while the other end goes into LINE-IN and Channel 2 of your mixer.

(ok, break), break again and take a minute to relax. Now the only thing missing is how you will get sound out of your mixer, and thats where a amplifier, a pre-amp mixer, will come in. Now for example you don't need that to get sound. For example if you google Numark DXM-06 Mixer and look in the back of the mixer there is inputs for monitors or speakers. Now Remember your mixer , no whatter what kind it is, won't be strong enough to get the loudest song possible. thats why you need something secondary to serve as a bridge from mixer to speakers and thats why you get a amplifier, subwoofer, or pre-amp.

Software Part:

Go into VDJ and make sure your M-Audio, SSL, MAYA44 is plugged into your laptop or desktop. Now VDJ should automatically detect it when you uopen the program. Now what usually happens is when you open VDJ you will get an error that says "ASIO not found" which is ok, because you still have it when into your soundcard options to enable Asio instead of the oridinary sound out. Then once you do that,
open VDJ back up, go into setup, For inputs leave the picture on the two turntables.
Outputs highlight 2 channel instead of a 3 channel mixer.

Then under soundcard highlight ASIO. And followed by that there will be a little window that shows the M-Audio soundcard.

After that go into performance,
leave the ms at 256ms,

latency on that,

i have to get to class now, but i will finish this post soon.

geposted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 7:54 pm
Without meaning to be disrespectful or unappreciative, we know how to connect our turntables and VirtualDJ, you don't need to tell us how to do so. If this was the problem, then any sort of control over VirtualDJ would be impossible.

The actual problem here is pitch fluctuation. This is something I've experienced myself severely with my gen2 (or gen1?) vinyl. It was not a software setup issue (although another software did work slightly better with these vinyl). The fact remains, that even if the pitch sensitivity worked in realtime, things should work perfectly. Afterall, assuming that people using turntables can mix perfectly fine with vinyl which are analogue - everything there works in realtime. Besides, high sensitivity is a good thing. People do use the spindle and platter for fine adjustments alongside riding the pitch.

The issue here, like I stated, is pitch fluctuations stemming from the software (or like in my case and maybe the op too, a bad pair of vinyl). I posted a test a couple of posts up which states a test one can do to determine very easily if it's the vinyl at fault if you have a 100% signal (assuming that a pair of 1210's can hold their pitch, of course they can!) - although from reading a few posts around here, sometimes people will suggest grounding your turntables to the computer which can apparently help with a more stable pitch.

geposted Mon 27 Aug 07 @ 8:19 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Try changing TC modes, like of your using smart mode, try it on relative or absolute and see if anything changes.

geposted Fri 31 Aug 07 @ 4:45 pm
Thanks Listen2, will try this when i get back to home. This thread was about VDJ 4.3 BTW, i think it already runs a bit better with VDJ5.

geposted Mon 03 Sep 07 @ 9:35 am
i have the conectiv on pt-1000's (nothing fancy) im able to mix and scratch my music but when i start the song on vdj it starts with a really high pitch i have to reset the pitch in order for it to align im able to scratch the music just fine after that but after a while it just gives out.... when i move the turntable i can see it on the screen thats its moving along as i move it but takes no effect to the track the track keeps playing any suggestions on what the problem might be???

running 2 gemini pt-1000
xdm-242 mixer
VDJ 5.2 pro
m- audio conectiv

geposted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 1:12 am
I am having pitch fluctuation issues as described earlier in this thread but from reading the thread I could not find a solution? Anyone have any idea why this happens? I am using ver 5.2.1 TCCD's burned at pro level. Club I work at has Allen heath XONE92, 2 CDJ1000 MK3 and they have the serato box. Never have any problems with pitch when using my total control so I know its an issue with either my time code set up or the actual CD's. Will lowering the pitch settings in the TC setup up work? I have it at 400ms. Its not a huge issue I am still able to mix well and I use the sync on the total control in emergencies but if anyone knows how to fix the pitch fluctuation problem I would greatly appreciate the help.

geposted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 1:10 pm
DjRyanCHome userMember since 2009
I wouldn't really no your configurations but if i did i would most likely no your problem

im having the same problem..
im using:
numark m2
technic 1200mk5 and 1200mk3
m-audio conectiv

its wierd cause everytime i load a track and begin to play it..
it speeds up the song around +10 (not exactly probably close to that tho)
and yes my pitch on my turntables is at 0

ANY HLP PLZ??? =/

geposted Tue 22 Sep 09 @ 3:57 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)