Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Beatmatching Made Easy?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I'm an ametuer DJ who does this for fun on the weekends, when I not working at my 9-5. I keep it simple when it comes to using this software. I know how to auto-sync and mix songs with nearly identical BPM. My problem however is when I want to mix songs that are not the same BPM, lets say even a 7-10 BPM difference between the two, the new song I have synced and mixed into, sounds obviously distorted to me and my audience. Is there a simple way to beatmatch and mix smoothly but then quickly and smoothly have your new song playing close to the speed it was created at? Ive tried hitting the reset pitch button, but that returns the song to its original pitch so quickly that its noticeable and sounds bad. Any suggestions?

geposted Tue 22 Jan 08 @ 11:29 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
A few different ways you can tackle this challenge, 7-10 bpms isn't really that much.

1. Adjust each deck 2-3 bpms closer to each other until they match. Adjusting each deck a few will not be noticeable vs. adjusting one alot.
2. Rather then a blend, do a quick cutover to the new song at an ideal time. You can use effects or samples to add some flavor
3. Keylock ON. Keylock keeps the key of the song the same so it won't be noticeable if you change the bpm. I have varied success with Keylock but that is what it is on the software for.

Good luck.

geposted Fri 25 Jan 08 @ 8:41 am
thanks for the help, ill give it a try.

geposted Fri 25 Jan 08 @ 5:47 pm
Where's the keylock button in vdj 5??? I cant seem to find it. Im also having the same problem ;-(

geposted Fri 08 Feb 08 @ 6:08 pm
hey its the sync or lock next to the fader depending on the skin your using.

geposted Sun 10 Feb 08 @ 9:51 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
another thing about mixing is the eqing. picture one song playing in your mind. add another song on top and you more or less get double the sound. when you go from one, to double and then back to one again (when the first song is gone) you loose momentum and it sounds obvious.

now picture how to bring one song in and the other song out so you always have the same amount of sound. you can do this by mixing in the second song with the bass all the way down and the highs down a bit. as you bring that song in louder, add bass and take bass away from the first song. as one goes up, the other goes down.

as you learn this skill, you also learn the tracks. there are the correct times to 'punch' the bass on the incoming track and 'kill' the bass on the outgoing track. when you do this at the right time, you give alot of energy to the music and the crowd. also remember there is the right time to mix. be patient as a dj, dont rush your mixes. you should wait for the right point in the track to mix out depending on the style. in general, you can wait until 1.5-2 minutes before the end of track before starting to mix in.

as you master that skill, you can learn techniques on how to speed-mix (2 minute mixing), but dont do this until you master the eq (will take a few years). remember that any idiot can call themselves a dj. only those who learn the subtleties of music are 'true' djs, and this takes time and practice. look at it like a science experiment. its not about just 'mixing tracks', its about having a critical ear and adjusting your technique a little bit at a time. if you dont mix in a way that you can learn from it, you are wasting time. do the same mix 20 times in a row and make small adjustments each time and compare results from before. you start to notice patterns in the sound and technique that inform you how to proceed. trial and error is only useful when there is a control element. otherwise it's just random shite.

hope some of this abstract nonsense will help ;)

geposted Tue 12 Feb 08 @ 11:33 am
What skin on the new virtual dj 7 pro has the auto beat lock and auto sync button?

geposted Fri 28 Jan 11 @ 9:32 am
Seana23PRO InfinityMember since 2010
naziyah10 wrote :
What skin on the new virtual dj 7 pro has the auto beat lock and auto sync button?

I thought most skins had these features but Definately the MixLab has it...

Seana

XXX

geposted Fri 28 Jan 11 @ 1:15 pm
@flenster

A pause now and again doesn't hurt either...

From my expierence (and very humble opinion) and for the most part Nobody's listening anyway.... I mean sure if you make a HUGE mistake or play the most popular song 4 times in a night then ya but for the most part when people are at a club or event they are more concerned with the pair of "Tata's" they are talking to.

Source: Years of performing all over Canada and the States.

geposted Sun 30 Jan 11 @ 11:24 am
another thing about mixing is the eqing. picture one song playing in your mind. add another song on top and you more or less get double the sound. when you go from one, to double and then back to one again (when the first song is gone) you loose momentum and it sounds obvious.

now picture how to bring one song in and the other song out so you always have the same amount of sound. you can do this by mixing in the second song with the bass all the way down and the highs down a bit. as you bring that song in louder, add bass and take bass away from the first song. as one goes up, the other goes down.

as you learn this skill, you also learn the tracks. there are the correct times to 'punch' the bass on the incoming track and 'kill' the bass on the outgoing track. when you do this at the right time, you give alot of energy to the music and the crowd. also remember there is the right time to mix. be patient as a dj, dont rush your mixes. you should wait for the right point in the track to mix out depending on the style. in general, you can wait until 1.5-2 minutes before the end of track before starting to mix in.

as you master that skill, you can learn techniques on how to speed-mix (2 minute mixing), but dont do this until you master the eq (will take a few years). remember that any idiot can call themselves a dj. only those who learn the subtleties of music are 'true' djs, and this takes time and practice. look at it like a science experiment. its not about just 'mixing tracks', its about having a critical ear and adjusting your technique a little bit at a time. if you dont mix in a way that you can learn from it, you are wasting time. do the same mix 20 times in a row and make small adjustments each time and compare results from before. you start to notice patterns in the sound and technique that inform you how to proceed. trial and error is only useful when there is a control element. otherwise it's just random shite.

hope some of this abstract nonsense will help ;)

Very well said Paz. As a new DJ I feel just as you stated in terms of giving it time to learn the craft. The more that I practice the more I learn. I use to see DJ at parties consistently turning knobs and I would always try to figure out why they kept turning knobs. Now I know why. After reading your post and watching a number of YouTube videos I have learned so much and I cannot wait to learn more. The more I learn the better DJ I will be. Continue to give out the great information on this forum

geposted Sun 30 Jan 11 @ 6:55 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)