Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Psytrance?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

anybody a big fan
i am.
could do with some general tips for mixing it if anyone knows the genre.
Also i realy want to make a low-fi / ambient mix...how would i go about doing this - in theory blending ambient would be easy giving the right tracks but im just wondering if theres any tips concerning this style too.
All help appreciated
Psytramp

geposted Mon 18 Feb 08 @ 7:08 pm
GraomiPRO InfinityMember since 2007
psytramp,

I love psy trance but it is a total bitch to mix. the beat mixing is hard enough with the beats not usually as pronounced as in house or techno but the big problem is the key of each track. If you have pumping analogue sounds in your tracks and you mix in a new track which also has those sounds they can often be in totally different keys (as in musical keys), some keys go together and some sound bloody terrible. VDJ now gives you a tab in the browser to put in the key of the song, however it does not work this out automatically and requires the user to find out the key of each tune. Some people have perfect pitch and can do this by ear but most of us mere mortals either just have to try out tunes with others and see how it sounds or work out the key of a song using a keyboard or guitar etc. there maybe some software out there that can do it for you. not sure.

At the end of the day it just needs a bit more preparation in which tunes you mix at any one point. Hope this helps.

John

geposted Wed 20 Feb 08 @ 3:28 pm
There is a program called MixedInKey that analyzes your tracks and can write the key in the comments of the mp3 tag.

geposted Fri 22 Feb 08 @ 9:00 am
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Psytramp wrote :
anybody a big fan
i am.
could do with some general tips for mixing it if anyone knows the genre.
Also i realy want to make a low-fi / ambient mix...how would i go about doing this - in theory blending ambient would be easy giving the right tracks but im just wondering if theres any tips concerning this style too.
All help appreciated
Psytramp

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LCEYRZ8M is a PSY mix I have posted on here. This one sort of fell together when I was smashed 1 night. Not that I'm suggesting that's how to mix Psy but I find it helps (bad me). Watch out for the start of tunes as these can completely change. Psy tunes are great as 1 tune at a time so mixing them more or less removes the start or end of the tune. Just mess around a lot and make sure your mixing on 32 beats as this will make swapping sounds over much easier (you should do this anyway).

Make sure you have something with singing in it every now and then or the set might get a bit boring.

Good luck with it and post a mix once you've had one and we can have a listen

geposted Sat 23 Feb 08 @ 7:10 am
DJ YogiPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I am the resident Psytrance DJ on Virtual DJ Radio. Mixing psy is no different than any other form of dance music, as I repeatedly tell people, practice is the key. Use VDJ and record your mixes, listen to them, critique yourself. Mixing psy has alot more to do than just beatmatching and crossing the fader, you must time it right and use the EQs especially the bass controls. I personally, during transitions, swap the bass it makes for smoother transitions also there are slight breaks in the tracks where, when u time it right, you can switch the bass of one track with the other making it sound as if it is one track. Again, I must stress, the key to a good Psy mix is PRACTICE. Practice for hours every day, when you feel tired take a break and then go back to mixing. This worked for me, hope it will be helpful to you, good luck and its nice to see some fellow Psy lovers here :)

geposted Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 5:05 pm
DJ Yogi wrote :
I am the resident Psytrance DJ on Virtual DJ Radio. Mixing psy is no different than any other form of dance music, as I repeatedly tell people, practice is the key. Use VDJ and record your mixes, listen to them, critique yourself. Mixing psy has alot more to do than just beatmatching and crossing the fader, you must time it right and use the EQs especially the bass controls. I personally, during transitions, swap the bass it makes for smoother transitions also there are slight breaks in the tracks where, when u time it right, you can switch the bass of one track with the other making it sound as if it is one track. Again, I must stress, the key to a good Psy mix is PRACTICE. Practice for hours every day, when you feel tired take a break and then go back to mixing. This worked for me, hope it will be helpful to you, good luck and its nice to see some fellow Psy lovers here :)

Hey Yogi

Do you play Psy on VDJ Radio? If so when is the show?

Sorry just reread your post. Whens the show?

geposted Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 7:42 am
thanks a lot guys, sorry just come back to this thread after some time.
found what u said very helpful!
got a new issue though, and thats progressing my set. Im playing to a mixed audience in a showcase of local dj's that i have put together, the music ranges from tech house to dnb to funk to techno to some straight up house. I want to show them what psy is. i start out with just a mess around, crossing between some shpongle and then some don peyote, just for a little dub like introduction. then i was thinking about going into a more proggy set - vibrasphere, ace ventura, gaudim and stuff... iv played the audience weve got there psy before and they get a little freaked out at the BPM and dont realy know how to dance to it, so i dont think full-on would go down too well, although i was hoping to build up to some faster tracks. I was going to do this by making that transition during the more trancy breaks yogi was on about. I understand what u said about the bass reduction and gain and i use that technique, finding it hard to perfect though! The key reading software sounds good, i think thats where im messing up, im just putting in my favorite tracks not paying much attention to key. Putting together a decent set is so hard! im really having to mine through my tracks but i suppose this is the same for all other types of music. I put together an electro-house set for a gig to 200 though and found that quite easy! explored the genre in that set too. i think as a whole though trance is a lot closer to my heart so i really want to make this mix pure and perfect!!
thanks a lot for the continues support
psytramp

geposted Fri 28 Mar 08 @ 2:25 pm
Here is my Space competition Mix for April.

Aimed at the Premier Etage on a Sunday Afternoon. Pretty much used all the lower BPM Psy stuff I have.

FERBI_BOYS_-_Twilight_Zone (Intro)
James_Monro_-_X-perience
Atmos - Transmission in Vain
Doof - Blue Sunshrine
HALTYA_-_Fry
OJOS_-_Feche_Seus_Olhos
X-Dream - Rain
OJOS_-_Itapema
FERBI_BOYS_-_Banana_Split
Nissimyani vs The Milovskys - Fir Cough

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V9QZ4BI0

geposted Sat 29 Mar 08 @ 4:33 am
Hey YOGI - last time we talked psytrance on VDJ we zoomed back a few years in a time capsule... don't know how I missed this one!

Apart from work & women, Psytrance is my OBSESSION! I have been playing Psy with VDJ for the past 4 years after progressing from happy hard and whilst I am always open to new styles, Psytrance just sounds so right to me... without the drugs :)

Mixing it with VDJ is a snack, its all in the beat-table atop your screen, just zoom in and out to see all the cues and cuts - helps to know the tone & basslines of your tracks so you have good harmonies on you mixes and you know with Psy you will ALWAYS have mental samples to use!

I just fninished my latest set last night - http://mixes.djfez.com/download.pl?file=Teknoblast_-_Jawbreaker.mp3

You can download all my previous sets from my profile on mixes.djfez.com
http://mixes.djfez.com/djs/profile.php?profile_id=037

All mixes are live and unedited - believe it.

I am excited.

Cam.

geposted Thu 10 Apr 08 @ 8:25 am
And here is the tracklisting!!!

01] Toxical - Sub Atomic
02] Insomnia - Computer Land
03] Switch - Megasonics (Live Mix)
04] Painkiller vs. Bliss - Loony Bin
05] Azax Syndrom vs. Absolum - World Illusion (Live Mix)
06] Toxic - Destination Known
07] Frozen Ghost - Icey Binge Of The Bio Shrimp
08] Frzn Ghst - Frozen Toast
09] Madnetic - Afro Samurai
10] Phrozen Go Go - E = Mentally Squared
11] PG - Deranged

geposted Thu 10 Apr 08 @ 8:26 am
DJ YogiPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Check out this Saturday April 26, 2008 for Psytrance on VDJ Radio.

geposted Sun 20 Apr 08 @ 8:55 pm
I spin psytrance, mostly the faster side of things. I have found that blending the songs while killing levels and replacing levels on transitions helps to make a more continuous mix. All my mixes are recorded with a controller on vdj since my equipment I just recently sold had 0 MIDI capabilities and was a bit dated. Also, try scanning all your tracks prior to making a playlist so you have the ability to transition among the same key or the next key in the scale. Its alot easier if you change the key to numeric. Hope it helps.

check out my stuff

www.mixcloud.com/0mn1v0r3

www.soundcloud.com/0mn1v0r3

geposted Tue 18 Mar 14 @ 5:15 pm
VernskiPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Only recently started mixing psytrance, it''s already been mentioned, but working the EQ's is an absolute must. I find that quite often I end up mixing in the mids/highs of the incoming track, but I maintain the bass of the outgoing track until the end of a phrase and swap it over. (I hope that makes sense)

You don't really need mixed in key as VDJ can scan for bpms and you can select numeric key in your browser and sort it accordingly.

geposted Wed 19 Mar 14 @ 7:21 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)